Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by jbtniros
thanks for the great info:
First time trying to book AA award. Please advise on how to best do this route:
MSP-SNA (stop over)
SNA-ANC (final destination)
ANC-YVR (stop over)
YVR-MSP
Thank you in advance for your help.
This can't be done on one ticket in this order, and would be next to impossible to do in any order in one ticket. You'll need to nest at least one revenue ticket inside to fulfill the entire itinerary. For example:

MSP-DFW/ORD-SNA (stopover)
SNA-DFW-ANC (destination)
ANC-YVR (one-way revenue ticket, with ANC-YVR as an open jaw)
YVR-DFW-MSP (return)

Mike

Last edited by nako; Feb 10, 2007 at 10:33 pm
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:32 am

Open jaw AND stopover?

Hi,

I was wondering if I can do the following on an AA award:

DCA-BOS (stopover) BOS-SAN, SAN-BOS

Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: aadvantage plt
If flying out of DFW to Belize City on an award, where are some options that a stopover can be made, besides Miami.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by trytoflyhigh
If flying out of DFW to Belize City on an award, where are some options that a stopover can be made, besides Miami.
Based on the schedules (which can be found in aa.com's timetable section), the available stopover options, given the stopover rules, are MIA and DFW. As you would be departing from DFW, then MIA is the only option.

Mike
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:56 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Have held following award flights for parents-in-law:

LHR-MIA(stopover <24hrs)-UVF-MIA(stopover)//FLL-DFW-LGW

I blissfully thought that would be fine, with the first MIA not being a stopover as it's less than 24hours, and the second MIA being my one allowed stopover.

Called today to ticket as PILs have hotel in St Lucia sorted, and the agent noted that they can't stopover in MIA on the way back as it's not the gateway city; reading this thread, I see that them's the rules.

There is no award availability on the direct MIA-LHR flights (which would then make MIA the gateway and make the stopover valid) - the agent was putting a request through to rev mgmt to see if they would free up a couple of seats.

anyone have any experience of this / what are my chances of the seats being made available ? (fyi, seatcounter is showing 7s across the board).

thanks
Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:33 am

RChavez...
Unfortunately LGA / EWR / JFK are NOT considered the same location (NYC) for routing (even though LGA/JFK are technically only a few miles away and when you are trying to find seats on award revenue both option may pop up on ticket options). That said once you have your e-ticket assigned you CAN"T change from LGA to JFK non=stop if it opens up... you could have before ticket was issued. I was warned about this before I had miles finally pulled and e-tickets issued for 4 seats going to Hawaii. Outbound we had no problems, return we had to break up the party... (at times only 3 seats were released into inventory -- this is during Xmas peak.. and thus AA was not having blackout dates but stingily releasing award seats... the 330 day release date wasn't working either.. a stressful week of constant calling for return). What we did do was have 3 of us returning from HNL (couldn't get LIH) with a connect through DFW to JFK. Decided DH who's platinum to go solo on a hop/skip/jump on earlier flight HNL/LAX/MIA/JFK (could have had a skip to LGA but chose not to). Did this hoping that eventually LAX-JFK seat might open up for DH prior to leaving (he's platinum, traveling w/o luggage and hopefully get on standby list prior to getting to gate). We'll all be overnighting at JFK prior to driving back home on New Years day. It really doesn't make sense about JFK/LGA being interchangeable for gateway... but them are the rules. BTW when I was diligently trying to get DH his seat for the same day I found the flights from LAX/MIA/JFK.. asking the computer it wasn't coming up as an option -- LAX/ORD/and then either LGA (leaving the possibility of fee or expense/inconvenience to JFK area) or a long layover to get to JFK (and ultimately getting in later than our flight.. resulting in a very long day and the possibility of DH getting stuck in ORD 'cause weather etc. since it would be an AE flight). Now he's got a 2 hr layover in LAX and then a quickie in MIA).. Hopefully we'll all be together in December but realize that it's the "price we pay" for using our miles... luckily it's the second year we're using these prime seats over Xmas.
Good luck
Carolyn
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:08 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by RChavez
Question for the group:

I have an all-partner award that has the following routing:

LGA-YYZ-MIA-EZE // EZE-SCL-MIA-MSY-LGA

When I booked it, the agent said that I would be able to change to the non-stop without penalty since I was just changing dates.

Well, the nonstop opened up JFK-EZE, but the second agent I spoke with said that because I'm changing airports, it would involve a $100 fee.

Question: Aren't co-terminals considered the same point for the All-partner award? If so, then techincally going LGA-EZE should be the same as going JFK-EZE, no?
Interesting question. After discovering that AA RM wouldn't release any more award seats on the n/s MIA-LHR (see my post two up) I asked about their doing an open jaw to UVF then returning from MIA, and sorting out other tix UVF-MIA. AAgent said that that wouldn't be allowed as it would be a double open jaw, departing LHR and arriving LGW. I said that they were co-terminals so it's no problem but she was adamant that it was against the award rules. I didn't argue the toss because not sure that was the way to go anyway, but from what you say looks like she was right. This was for a regular AA only award too.

Anyone else with any insight on co-terminals not counting as 'the same place' for award purposes ?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:03 am

I currently have the following All Partner AAward

GRR-ORD-DFW [stopover]-SAL [end]
SAL-MIA [overnight] ORD-GRR

I wanted to change my overnight from MIA to ORD
SAL-MIA-ORD [overnight] GRR

AAgent told me that the overnight must occur at the gateway. However this is not a stopover, but a connection since I could not get to GRR the same day.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:12 pm

I have about 140k miles and would like to use them to go to SA. Can I fly from PHL>Santiago and then return a month later from Rio to Philly? I don't need other stopovers, just the time inbetween for a cruise. I couldn't get a good answer from the CS rep. I don't have any status on AA.

Thank you.

Jane in PHL
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:36 pm

AA award travel on BA in Europe

edited

Last edited by Aleks; Mar 6, 2007 at 3:54 pm Reason: Not relevant anymore - have now booked flights for $ not miles
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by JanePond
I have about 140k miles and would like to use them to go to SA. Can I fly from PHL>Santiago and then return a month later from Rio to Philly? I don't need other stopovers, just the time inbetween for a cruise. I couldn't get a good answer from the CS rep. I don't have any status on AA.

Thank you.

Jane in PHL
Yes you can do this no problem. It's a simple open jaw. You could even get the connecting flight between SCL and GIG (RIO) as part of the ticket on a combination of TAM and LAN.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
So...as I read this I cannot book a stop-over award using AA miles with a AS segments. Is this correct?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 4:41 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Is the following possible on a Caribbean award?

AUS-DFW-MIA-NAS AA stopover/destination
NAS-GCM BA stopover/destination
GCM-MIA-DFW-AUS AA
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another question. Is the following award legal:
Outbound: TPA-LGA(stopover)/JFK-LAX
Return: LAX-MIA-TPA

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Meaning of the term "Gateway"

Is your international "gateway" the first place your plane lands after an overwater flight, or does that city count as your gateway only if you stop over? For example, if you fly Air Tahiti from Los Angeles to Sydney, connecting in Papeete, does Papeete become your gateway no matter how brief the connection? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.