Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
No miles are deducted but you do need the number for sure.
Thanks! Any clue whether you already need to have enough miles, or can still switch which account the miles come from after you give the number?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Thanks! Any clue whether you already need to have enough miles, or can still switch which account the miles come from after you give the number?
Don't think you need to have the miles since I always assumed you can book and then transfer from hotels, Amex etc.

No idea about switching the account later.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
transfer from hotels, Amex etc.
Sorry about the off topic question, but is AMEX really partners with AA? I have never seen that, but this would be great in this case!^
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:40 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Sorry about the off topic question, but is AMEX really partners with AA? I have never seen that, but this would be great in this case!^
Didn't think about that... At least not here (Finland), I was just thinking that IMHO it should be possible to hold a booking without sufficient mileage as you can transfer from multiple sources.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:46 pm

Can I get this iternary on AAdvantage award?

I am new to this miles redemption thing and am trying to book my first trip with AAdvantage miles.

Is there a way to do the following on a single award ticket?

SFO/OAK/SJC as the starting point (Northern California)
ANC (or some other airport in Alaska) either as destination or stop over
Seattle or Vancouver as stop over or destination
Also want to visit the Canadian Rockies (Calgary, Alberta) if possible.

Is:
SFO/ANC/YVR/SFO possible on a single AA award?
And is it possible to squeeze in YYC(Calgary) somewhere in there as well (as an open jaw or something)?

Can I combine US+Canada on 25000 miles or does it have to be "wholly" US or wholly Canada? Will the above take 30000 miles instead of 25K?

Also, I believe AA does not fly to Alaska so I will have to go with a partner award(Alaska air) instead?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:35 am

Is this valid for 200,000 first class?

GRR-ORD-LHR-NBO [Nariobi]
NBO-LHR-ORD [4 month stopover]
ORD-MIA-SJU-AUA [Aruba]

Basically we start in Grand Rapids and finish in Aruba with our destination being Nairobi.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:07 pm

Hi... I'm slightly new to AA awards but I'm trying to book an award in F SFO-JFK-EZE-JFK-SFO and from the rules copied below I think I can take a stopover in JFK both ways... but the AAgent is telling me only one or the other but not both.

Does this sound like a case of hang up and try again, or has there been some change?

Thanks for any info...

-g
---
International Free Awards

(Central America/South America/Europe/Japan)

Stopover allowed at North American gateway in each direction.
Award travel that originates outside of North America, but connects in North America to go to/from Central America, South America, Europe, Asia or North America, passenger may select either the international gateway or North American gateway as their stopover but not both.
When travel is wholly within Central America or South America, connections or stopovers in North America are not allowed.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schultzois
Hi... I'm slightly new to AA awards but I'm trying to book an award in F SFO-JFK-EZE-JFK-SFO and from the rules copied below I think I can take a stopover in JFK both ways... but the AAgent is telling me only one or the other but not both.
Are you flying only AA (AA award) or do you have any partners in the itin (All Partner Award)? The partner award only allows one stopover at the NA gateway.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:34 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Is this valid for 200,000 first class?

GRR-ORD-LHR-NBO [Nariobi]
NBO-LHR-ORD [4 month stopover]
ORD-MIA-SJU-AUA [Aruba]

Basically we start in Grand Rapids and finish in Aruba with our destination being Nairobi.
If it's not kosher as a 200K mi F All-partners award, it certainly looks okay as a 180K mi F Oneworld award provided you throw a second non-AA partner into it somewhere.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Are you flying only AA (AA award) or do you have any partners in the itin (All Partner Award)? The partner award only allows one stopover at the NA gateway.
Exclusively AA flights on AA metal. And after asserting that I was pretty sure the rules allowed a stopover in each direction since I was only on AA flights, the AAgent placed me on hold for a long time, checked with a superviser, and eventually decided I was right, I could do that.

Still a little strange to see that she was so certain I couldn't at first, and that it had always been that way... Thanks to the great knowledge here, I happened to know better.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:58 am

Alright, I want to take a trip in March and want to run this by FTers before I call AA.

DCA-DFW-HNL(stopover)-NRT(on JAL)-HKG-HKT(destination)-HKG-NRT(stopover)-YVR-JFK-WAS. Is this doable under a 110k Asia 2 J award? I have one stopover at the domestic gateway (HNL), a destination (HKT), and a stopover at the international gateway (NRT).

Thanks.

Edited to add: I thought that CX flew HKG-HKT(Phuket) but it looks like that's not the case. Do any other AA partners fly to HKT? If not, we can fly NRT-BKK and then buy a $260 business class ticket from BKK-HKT.

Last edited by johnep1; Jan 16, 2007 at 6:11 am
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Hi, guys, If I want to do

SFO-LAx-PPT(stopover)-IPC(destination)-PPT-SYD-NRT(Open Jaw, trip end)

or

SFO-LAX-PPT(Stopover)-IPC(destination)-PPT-SYD-NRT(stopover)-SFO

are they doable?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by yyliu88
Hi, guys, If I want to do

SFO-LAx-PPT(stopover)-IPC(destination)-PPT-SYD-NRT(Open Jaw, trip end)

or

SFO-LAX-PPT(Stopover)-IPC(destination)-PPT-SYD-NRT(stopover)-SFO

are they doable?
The first one is definitely not possible, because the unflown distance for the open jaw is longer than one of the flown distances.

Otherwise, I believe that the stumbling block is getting from PPT to IFC -- I'm not sure that it's as easy as you might think it is.

Mike
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Question for the group:

I have an all-partner award that has the following routing:

LGA-YYZ-MIA-EZE // EZE-SCL-MIA-MSY-LGA

When I booked it, the agent said that I would be able to change to the non-stop without penalty since I was just changing dates.

Well, the nonstop opened up JFK-EZE, but the second agent I spoke with said that because I'm changing airports, it would involve a $100 fee.

Question: Aren't co-terminals considered the same point for the All-partner award? If so, then techincally going LGA-EZE should be the same as going JFK-EZE, no?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:13 pm

thanks for the great info:
First time trying to book AA award. Please advise on how to best do this route:
MSP-SNA (stop over)
SNA-ANC (final destination)
ANC-YVR (stop over)
YVR-MSP
Thank you in advance for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.