Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier, NW Silver, Official Gopher Hater
What are the embargoed QF flight numbers these days when traveling on an AAward?
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:07 pm

Can I do this?

Can I do this ITN? I have had conflicting answers from AA.
I already have booked:

All QF FC (J on 2 class planes) - 150K award

LAX-MEL-AKL
AKL-MEL(STOPOVER)-LAX

I want to do
LAX-MEL-AKL(overnight but still take the next scheduled flight)-ZQN (Queenstown)
ZQN-AKL-MEL(overnight but still take the next scheduled flight)-LAX

but I could do this also:
LAX-MEL-AKL(overnight but still take the next scheduled flight)-ZQN
ZQN-AKL-MEL(STOPOVER)-LAX

They said I can't add the segment within New Zealand (AKL-ZQN) without it being an inter-pacifc award. That doesn't seem right to me.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by mileshound
Can I do this ITN? I have had conflicting answers from AA.
I already have booked:

All QF FC (J on 2 class planes) - 150K award

LAX-MEL-AKL
AKL-MEL(STOPOVER)-LAX

I want to do
LAX-MEL-AKL(overnight but still take the next scheduled flight)-ZQN (Queenstown)
ZQN-AKL-MEL(overnight but still take the next scheduled flight)-LAX

but I could do this also:
LAX-MEL-AKL(overnight but still take the next scheduled flight)-ZQN
ZQN-AKL-MEL(STOPOVER)-LAX

They said I can\'t add the segment within New Zealand (AKL-ZQN) without it being an inter-pacifc award. That doesn\'t seem right to me.
You should be able to do LAX-MEL-AKL/ZQN-AKL-MEL-LAX without the extra intra-pacific leg added, but I am not sure if you can do the open-jaw AKL/ZQN and the stopover in MEL. They may be even more strict because you are overnighting in AKL, even though you are taking the next scheduled flight.

A question: Who rejected the itinerary, the agent booking you originally, or did she submit it to the VALIDATION DEPT. (don\'t know what it is really called, but they always do this to me on complicated itins) for checking and then they rejected it? If it is the former, I would just call back and try a different agent.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:08 pm

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
stopover still confused

Hello I did take the time to read the posts. I am still confused. I interperit below that I can HAVE two stop overs. I am wondering if I can book EZE-MIA(stopover), then MIA-SFO (stopover) then SFO-MIA(stopover)?? (is this two or three)

When I called AA, she said I could only have ONE Stopover, so like EZE-MIA(stopover), then MIA-SFO (stopover) then SFO-MIA/DFW-EZE.

Maybe I am not understanding what a stopover is (please I did read the posts)...

International Free Awards

(Central America/South America/Europe/Japan)

Stopover allowed at North American gateway in each direction.
Award travel that originates outside of North America, but connects in North America to go to/from Central America, South America, Europe, Asia or North America, passenger may select either the international gateway or North American gateway as their stopover but not both.
When travel is wholly within Central America or South America, connections or stopovers in North America are not allowed.

Last edited by jk5598224; Jul 19, 2006 at 8:10 pm Reason: sp
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Ok, have read all 12 pages and... I admit operating under a bit of a hangover & more than a bit confused - sorry.

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but just want to double check:

On a J award, could we fly LAX/connecting city/MUC-stop//VCE/LGW/DFW/LAX, flying MUC/FCO on LX via ZRH?

Anything else we could do? Or do the MUC stop on the return, so LAX/ORD/FCO//VCE/MUC stop/connecting city/LAX?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by brendamc
Ok, have read all 12 pages and... I admit operating under a bit of a hangover & more than a bit confused - sorry.

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but just want to double check:

On a J award, could we fly LAX/connecting city/MUC-stop//VCE/LGW/DFW/LAX, flying MUC/FCO on LX via ZRH?

Anything else we could do? Or do the MUC stop on the return, so LAX/ORD/FCO//VCE/MUC stop/connecting city/LAX?
As long as MUC is either the first or last international gateway, then you can. As I'm not sure that any AA or OW carriers have direct routings between the US and MUC, though, I believe that this routing cannot be done on a partner award.

Mike
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Assuming you're using an All Partner Award (vs. a One World award), you could fly LAX-LHR (AA) and LHR-MUC (BA). Then return VCE-LGW (BA) and LGW-DFW-LAX (AA). There are no partners that I am aware of who fly non-stop from any US point to MUC. Thus the MUC-VCE segment would have to be purchased and not part of an All Partner award.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:39 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Asia 2 - Africa routing?

The exceptions list nothing. But AFAIK it can only be routed via LHR (BA) or SYD (QF).

I want to do BKK-MRU or BKK-CPT. Listed as 60/100/140 on AA.com.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
Asia 2 - Africa routing?

The exceptions list nothing. But AFAIK it can only be routed via LHR (BA) or SYD (QF).
Why not on CX HKG-JNB?
And, then-- possibly connecting on a BA subsid to CPT.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Why not on CX HKG-JNB?
And, then-- possibly connecting on a BA subsid to CPT.
Geez, I must turn on my brain. Don't know how I missed this one... No F on that so no F possible Asia to Africa I guess.

Anyway' there's absolutely ZERO award seats with CX on any route next May that I have tried - I'm getting very tired of this nonsense. "It must be the most direct routing, no stopovers, we dictate the routing, this is available for you, but you sit in Y 75% of your trip!". And no, before anything can be ticketed, I need to wait a day for somebody to "approve" the routing because the local agents can't do or are too scared to issue anything.

Warning - Rant:

I know where CX could stick their "we're the airline of the year again, we're the best" crap - there's not a single seat in U/Z on BKK-SIN NEXT MAY, and on the 10+ times I've taken this flight, they have been <3 F <10C on a 744. But sure, why make any awards available.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH747FTL
Geez, I must turn on my brain. Don't know how I missed this one... No F on that so no F possible Asia to Africa I guess. ...
Why not make it a OneWorld award and then you can fly it any number of ways. With BKK-xHKG-xLHR-CPT being just one.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: Platinum AAdvantage, Gold HiltonHHonors, SPG, USAir, Delta Skymiles, A+ Rewards
Question Ways to request and check stopover availability?

Can you request stopovers when booking an Aadvantage reward ticket online? If not, is calling AAdvantage customer service the only way you can get your stopover city as part of the reward flight?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by tokatya
Can you request stopovers when booking an Aadvantage reward ticket online?
Have you even looked at the AA website? If you had, you would notice it is set up for round trip booking only, and that anything else requires a phone call.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
The following two Oneworld Award routings were approved at the 25,000 mile level (150K miles for a J award and 230K miles for an F award):

JFK-(AA)-LAX-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-CNS-(QF)-AYQ-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AA)-JFK

-and-

JFK-(QF)-LAX-(QF)-MEL-(QF)-CNS-(QF)-AYQ-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-HKG-(BA)-LHR-(BA)-YYZ
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:29 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by PresRDC
The following two Oneworld Award routings were approved at the 25,000 mile level (150K miles for a J award and 230K miles for an F award):

JFK-(AA)-LAX-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-CNS-(QF)-AYQ-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AA)-JFK

-and-

JFK-(QF)-LAX-(QF)-MEL-(QF)-CNS-(QF)-AYQ-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-HKG-(BA)-LHR-(BA)-YYZ
That make sense, depending upon which of the above are connections and which are stopovers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.