Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assaulted at First Class check-in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Ultimate, AA 4MM EXP, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt LT Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Well, I am French and have enjoyed Flyertalk tremenduously ever since I discovered it. I must say that I learned a lot and contributed a little...
However I must say that I am offended but such derogatory remarks towards the french in general...
An accent doesn't necessarily mean that this rude lady (or should I rather say women as her behaviour was definitely unlady-like) was not american... I lived 5 years in the USA and realized that many many americans speak english with very strong accents... My english is not perfect but I speak with much less accent than many americans out there...so please enough with the french bashing. This is neither called for nor justified. There are people behaving rudely all over the world...even in America!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by thierry
An accent doesn't necessarily mean that this rude lady (or should I rather say women as her behaviour was definitely unlady-like) was not american... I lived 5 years in the USA and realized that many many americans speak english with very strong accents... My english is not perfect but I speak with much less accent than many americans out there
Ok I agree I said she spoke ebonics now can we just let it go and get back to the topic at hand.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:15 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,DL,CO,AMEX
Originally Posted by venk
A contributing factor to this "check-in rage" (?) is also the woeful understaffing of AA check-in agents at many airports, missing FC agents as in this case, all available agents that get bogged down by "problem" cases in ticketing often making people wait 30+ minutes, lack of competence from the agents in using the computer interface to so something out of the ordinary, etc. The sad thing is that in many airports the "elite" line may be the one that has such frustrating waits.

The point is that I would not have pressed charges either, knowing the possible frustrations the woman may have gone through that day, regardless of holidays or not and regardless of accent or not (which is completely irrelevant). Perhaps she did not understand the FC line as an infrequent traveler and just thought you were cutting in or the agent was getting her pals off first.

This is not to condone the uncivil behavior on part of the woman but punishing her does very little to remove these kinds of "rage" situations. AA has to take partial blame in these situations but they are not in a position to afford to do anything about. The faster the kiosks and web check-in become the norm, the better.
You hit the nail right on the head!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:50 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,DL,CO,AMEX
Smile

Originally Posted by AA__Only
Okay... I might not agree exactly with the Wing's feelings on this, but I have to laugh at the last line.

And enough about being PC: I'd bet the majority of those on their soapboxes are guilty of the same crime from time to time.

Flyer1965, I'm sure Dennis Miller would be proud of you!
Me Too! Thank you Wing! I read this whole thread and came across their comments and burst out laughing.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:53 pm
SST

(Beating the dead horse that Flyer1965 dragged in): Thierry's post above merely proves my point "ladies and gentlemen": Let's not be so bigoted in our stereotypes on this forum that our good friends and fellow posters feel uncomfortable!

And if that doesn't bother you, and you're saying "Oh, guys like SST are just being P.C., and I'm so edgy and justified because like a couple of comedians I've seen, I KNOW a bunch of French people and they're all jerks", perhaps you should sit down with a nice cold alcoholic beverage and think quietly for a minute, reread what Thierry said, and ask yourself (regardless of your views on the French, Africans, or Martians) if your role here in our little community is positive or negative when you make him or others feel unwelcome?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:24 pm

Location: NC USA (AA 2 Million Miler, AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold)
[QUOTE=WingNaPrayer]This . . . .woman, and I don't care if she was French or from Mars, you indicated that she was foreign and made that determination based on her accent. Fine, so be it. You should have knocked her on her ...! QUOTE]

Yeah but if you touched her a-- then YOU would be subject to charges of sexual harassment.

One more tweak before we get locked...

This was fun, let's do it again tomorrow...G'nite all.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:48 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer
Had this have happened to me, the cow would still be crawling around the floor looking for her teeth!
You have some nerve, insulting cattle like this. I am personally very offended at the overall implication that those of the bovine persuasion are somehow more lowbrow than us! Man, this thread should be locked for the insult to cows!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:38 am
Suspended

The glass house we all live in, in our not-so-pure "little community"

Originally Posted by SST
(Beating the dead horse that Flyer1965 dragged in): Thierry's post above merely proves my point "ladies and gentlemen": Let's not be so bigoted in our stereotypes on this forum that our good friends and fellow posters feel uncomfortable!
Well, we may have done Thierry a favor. Thierry, having taken these comments so personally, can now step away from FT and Thierry's computer. Quite possibly a stroll through those Parisian streets with eyes now wide open (thanks to FT comments) may, indeed, confirm a different perspective for Thierry of Thierry's countrymen.... uh no... to be PC I mean countryperson.

Originally Posted by SST
(And if that doesn't bother you, and you're saying "Oh, guys like SST are just being P.C., and I'm so edgy and justified because like a couple of comedians I've seen, I KNOW a bunch of French people and they're all jerks", perhaps you should sit down with a nice cold alcoholic beverage and think quietly for a minute, reread what Thierry said, and ask yourself (regardless of your views on the French, Africans, or Martians) if your role here in our little community is positive or negative when you make him or others feel unwelcome?
SST, now look what you've done! Think of all the recovering alcoholics that you've now driven away with your implication that they are incapable of quiet thinking unless they have alcohol.

And Thierry, if on an early morning stroll you encounter someone (gf in tow, of course) with THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF LUGGAGE running at top speed while being chased, you might want to stop him and give him a piece of your mind. It may be the person who started all of this. Then again it could just be a journalist looking for a good story to tell.

Last edited by AA__Only; Jan 5, 2005 at 10:09 am
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:05 am
Suspended

Calling all PC Monitors! Calling all PC Monitors!

SST, pb9997

You're needed int the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386303

entitled "I'm Being Probed Get Me Out of Here"

MIKESILV just posted a comment including: "you Brits"

Run! Run! Hurry! Hurry! Go give him a piece of your mind and preserve the purity of our little community!!!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CharlesMD
~3,400 pageviews and 62 posts in about 24 h isn't bad!
Yeah, you have good reason to be very proud. I don't beleive in the axiom "quality not quantity" either.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yeah, you have good reason to be very proud. I don't beleive in the axiom "quality not quantity" either.

This whole thread's hilarious! Thanks for the laughs FT!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by venk
So you are saying, if Flyer1965 was more eloquent, dressed nicer, drank wine instead of gut-rot whiskey, drove a Puegeot instead of a 4x4 and a gun rack, he could very well be .... French?????

My apologies for using wholly inappropriate characterization of people from NC to make a point.

Venk, you owe us no apology. People can say what they need to say and everyone can judge the merits of that particular post. Trolls do not bother me because I just ignore them. I hope I didn't offend anyone for being open minded.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:54 am

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
from assault to french to mobs to canadiens to cows
gotta love the evolution of a thread
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA 3MM
Well... apart from the small (but important) distinction that some of those bigoted comments were for real (not tongue-firmly-planted-in...cheek), this thread is veering on breaching the FT rule that all the funny and OT posts are on the BA Board !

Oh, and thsi one is for our friend from NC... NC, that's where special treatment from Hertz is when they ask you "one gun rack or two?" when you pick up your rental car
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CharlesMD
((Which raises the question if no one is manning the First check-in and there are only Y check-in desks open, when are people in the F line supposed to check in?))
Once I arrived and there was no one working the FC line. The agent closest, when she was finished with the previous pax, stepped up on the baggage counter and manually spun the check-in sign around to First Class

That was pretty funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.