Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assaulted at First Class check-in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:10 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I have to agree with most of the posters here - AA does a lousy job at staffing F check-in counters (other then EXP only lines at LAX and ORD).
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:13 pm

Could it be....

Originally Posted by CharlesMD

I should also mention that the said woman must've been over 50, maybe even 60 and took it upon herself to do an impromptu ticket check to confirm that we were indeed in First (usually I check in by handing over my ID).

Maybe she just noticed the flashing bling bling and wanted a closer look?
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:14 pm

Oh really...

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
This post is not intended to be an example of the low-brow anti-French ignorance that's popular in america, but merely my response to the bad actions of an individual.

I would have had that b***h embarassed and in tears while she picked up my bags.
Um, sir, WACO is surrounded - please evacuate the compound now
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Winter cleaning!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Jan 23, 2005 at 3:59 pm
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
OP himself isn't sure if the woman in question is french, as he refers to her as having a 'foreign accent'. So he doesn't even know it.

For all you know, she could be Hebrew!
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
OP himself isn't sure if the woman in question is french, as he refers to her as having a 'foreign accent'. So he doesn't even know it.

For all you know, she could be Hebrew!
Or maybe she just spoke Ebonics. That can sometimes and often does sound like a foreign tounge.

For the person who said I should have taken the time to explain to her, why should I have to? I was just as stuck as she was but I wasn't walking around yelling at people. Like another poster said, she caught me on a good day and in my mind the best thing to do was say nothing. No answer would have been good enough for her at that time.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I still can't get over that you checked in 300 lbs. of luggage!
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Winter cleaning!

Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Thank you for a beam of compassion in the sea of condescension from most replies in this thread. If I had worked my way up a 20+ person line to the head of the "coach" line, and a guy who just sauntered up in the FC line is immediately waved over in front of me, and there was an unstaffed FC desk in front of his spot, and I thought the AA employee was working "my" desk, I would be pissed, too.

And only two things would keep me from doing exactly what the French lady did:

1) A knowledge of FC and FF rules and the fact that this guy paid a lot more for this treatment that aggravates me; and

2) a low-key personality who would take a lot more than this to get worked up to dumping over other people's luggage carts.

If this lady didn't have either these, I completely understand her response. No way she should be denied boarding.
Thank you, Delta Hog, for expressing this. I must say that I have been a little surprised at the harsh tone of the posts. I have been "privileged" to use the FC or Biz lines of most carriers now for many years, and I do tend to be somewhat embarrassed when I'm called over from that line to one where I have to go ahead of someone who has obviously been waiting his/her turn. I have no desire to cast myself as an angel or anything like that, but I do usually try to say something calming and reassuring to the person, always indicating that I will be as quick as possible. Let's face it, it is never pleasant to see someone being placed ahead in a line when you have been waiting your turn. Being polite and understanding when one has been the beneficiary of preferential treatment and quicker service is the least that should be expected from that person. It really doesn't matter whether it is "deserved" or not.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA-5mm, AS, DL, UA Gld, IC Plat RA, SPG Gld
Originally Posted by SST
Let me oblige you, Flyer 1965, since you asked for it:

-Your comment is inappropriate, insensitive, and bigoted and reflects poorly on you. After more than 66 posts and a year, I would have thought you got the point of this place, but maybe that's a little optimistic. If the woman was black and CharlesMD had mentioned that, I think we would all agree your comment would place you in some NoSpinZone where you couldn't explain it under any circumstances. It's just not right. Enjoy FlyerTalk, but think about the worldwide members, huh?
I completely agree. A more appropriate response would have been, "French, wow, I'm suprised. Were you suprised CharlesMD?"
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:53 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman

You're a Doctor and you let a maniac loose to injure again?

If you press charges, she would be hauled off to jail, and taught a very valuable lesson: Don't assualt people! She probably never would have done that again...she would have told her family/friends and anyone within ear-shot would'nt try that either.

By not pressing charges, she will now understand that she can act like an ape and basically get away with a slap on the wrist. I hope she never tries that again or injures anybody, but she should have been taught a lesson here and it wasn't done.

That doesn't mean you're not a nice person; just too easy.

CF
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
And only two things would keep me from doing exactly what the French lady did:

1) A knowledge of FC and FF rules and the fact that this guy paid a lot more for this treatment that aggravates me; and

2) a low-key personality who would take a lot more than this to get worked up to dumping over other people's luggage carts.

If this lady didn't have either these, I completely understand her response. No way she should be denied boarding.
Now please pardon me for joining the ranks of the "condescending" for a moment...

While I do have compassion for the lady, two very different things would keep me from doing exactly what this woman did:

1. An importance on politeness
2. My respect for personal property.

Personally, regardless of her level of frustration, she should never have touched CharlesMD's belongings, and she should never have behaved toward him (or the agent) in the manner in which she did. It was impolite and uncalled for.

I can understand things being different if the OP had simply walked up to the economy desk without direction from the agent. I would consider that action to be jumping the line. However, the agent motioned him over. Therefore, it must not have been my turn.

If I felt it should have been my turn, I might have inquired such of the agent once it was my turn. But since the OP was following the agent's cues, what complaint should one have of him?

Don't get me wrong. I have a thick skin, and even if she shouted at me, I would not be unnerved. But her most egregious action was the knocking of the belongings, which, I believe, can never be excused.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Winter cleaning!

Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:33 am
Suspended

IF, indeed, she was French...

P.S. Can someone explain the Dennis Miller comment?
I occassionally watch the opening 15 minutes of Dennis Miller's program (9pm EST) on CNBC, because he's funny. But don't get him started on the French: he appears to despise them. In fact, he refers to them using a four letter word that starts with "F." Okay... the word is actually "Frog," but it's not said with affection.

He was the first person that came to mind as I read the thread. I can imagine him taking an opportunity for a Rant, had he also been in the FC line to observe.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:33 am

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Gold, National Executive
2) AA could've avoided this situation by having a staff at the FC check-in desk. As I recall there was a FC position but it was closed. In this case, then why doesn't one of the agents manning the Y check-in move over to the F check-in. This way they could help F passengers without making them feel like they are cutting in the Y line and help Y passengers when there are no people in the F line.
As always, it varies by location, but one possible explanation is from when I worked as a gate agent/ticket agent/baggage service agent/you-name-it-I-did-it agent. While, as a general rule, there was always someone staffing the FC line, in the event that there was low staffing that day--either due to sick calls, OSO (AA lingo, meaning off-schedule operations), or any number of other things--or if there was a light first class load that day and coach was heavily booked, then there might not be someone at the FC desk. Instead, the agent working Y who was closest to the FC line pulled from there when there was someone in line, and worked Y the rest of the time. That did, occasionally, lead to confusion when the sign over the agent clearly read "Coach check-in." I've had the occasional grumpy FC/Elite pax who was cut off by a coach person who didn't wait to be called, but took it upon themselves to come to the desk.

Like the rest of you, I enjoy the benefits that come with my Elite status, and there are a lot of pax who don't understand what travelling 25,000 or more miles a year means. That problem is definitely compounded with standby lists. Washington to Dallas flights, especially on a Friday, are almost always full, and the standby list can get quite lengthy. The chances are often slim of getting on if you're not elite, and trying to explain to someone who has already rolled one flight why they aren't getting on when someone who just walked up is can oftentimes be difficult.

To be honest, when I first saw the title, I was envisioning CharlesMD getting attacked by some overzealous agent who has had it with the company and took their frustations out on a hapless pax. Well, I can at least breathe a little easier now ;-)

You did a nice thing by not pressing charges, and I hope someone explained to her the severity of the situation. That, and the fact that she will hopefully be seeing the dreaded 'SSSS' for a long time, means she perhaps will have learned a lesson out of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.