Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Winter cleaning!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Jan 23, 2005 at 4:02 pm
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:27 pm

Programs: VS Gold, NW Silver Elite
Originally Posted by CharlesMD
Well, I didn't want to press charges for practical and maybe political reasons.

You did the right thing CharlesMD. Most people and that includes me, are not that patient and sometimes not that level headed when dealing with such an attack, not only was it verbal but physical. You came out of it the better person.

There are times when we need to let things go. Around this time of the year in particular. With everyting else that's happening in the world we really need to put things into perspective and not let our EXP, PLT and GLD status get on the way of reason. These things don't really mean much in the big picture.

Demonstrating good reason and common sense are values that few people now a days exercise. Have a happy 2005. ^
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by venk
It is a bit more complicated by the fact that very often people who rebel against being "politically correct" are just asking for a right to say stupid things while common sense objections to the content within stupid things are seen as being for the sake of "political correctness" by the people saying those stupid things in the first place.

Case in point above. The AA pilot was criticized for his actions inappropriate to his job function. The criticism was on the pilot for his actions and the validity (or not) of that criticism is based on how you evaluate his actions. It would have been inappropriate (can I say politically incorrect) to make stereotyping comments on that case either on the entire pilot community or on the group of people with the beliefs that the pilot had. That is just common sense.

The comment bringing in the French in this thread was a stereotyping that considers all people of a certain group to behave in a certain way which as all stereotypes go are simply shown to be false even in cases where such stereotypes do not offend but rather complement (so it is not about political correctness). Criticizing the woman as a passenger waiting in line showing inappropriate behavior is the equivalent of the pilot being criticized which was just fine in this thread for both liberals and conservatives.

So do not confuse objections to dumb and prejudiced statements as imposing political correctness.
Thanks for summarizing what were my thoughts excatly (on this now derailed thread, heading rapidly to locked status) and expressing it more concisely than I could ever have had the patience in doing.
But it does appear your attempt at reasoning was all for nought and it went way far above the ( empty??) head it was directed at, probably blocked by the chip on the shoulder.

Ce la vie .. some horses you cant even get to the water to coax them to drink.

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Jan 4, 2005 at 1:39 pm
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
CharlesMD, I am so disappointed I had not seen the "Russian Mob run in at the Concorde Room" thread before. I am sure there must be more details than this.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:58 pm

Don't joke! One thing I've learned from Flyertalk is that there are people who will do ANYTHING for miles.

But I am always kinda worried that there might be a contract on my head or something. Payable in FF miles, of course .
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:00 pm

I tried this but he kept falling off. Need stronger thread I think.

Well, a lot of Americans I know sew Canadians on their backpacks when travelling in France and Europe precisely for that reason!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:01 pm

This . . . .woman, and I don't care if she was French or from Mars, you indicated that she was foreign and made that determination based on her accent. Fine, so be it. You should have knocked her on her ...! Americans don't allow foreigners to attack/assault them, especially not after 9/11 and especially not in their own damn country! Shame on you for taking the abuse of yet another foreigner and doing nothing about it, furthering the international impression that all americans are whimps!

Now, anyone want to give ME crap about MY opinions on foreigners laying their hands on American citizens, go for it, because I really don't give a rat's fanny what anyone thinks about that. I will not be assaulted in my own person, in my own country no less by anyone, foreign or not! Had this have happened to me, the cow would still be crawling around the floor looking for her teeth!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Lets see now:
Current odds 2:1, for "locked" in 7 posts not counting this one.

mike
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:37 pm

I assume you are just being provocative, and I shouldn't take the bait, because surely you know that would result in you BOTH being arrested and held.

Anyway, it's a moot point, because the assailant in this incident would have seen the "These Colors Don't Run" stickers all over your bags and not dared to approach in the first place--at least not without UN Peacekeepers to back her up (and of course you would have dispensed with their oil-for-food besotted arses too).

Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer
This . . . .woman, and I don't care if she was French or from Mars, you indicated that she was foreign and made that determination based on her accent. Fine, so be it. You should have knocked her on her ...! Americans don't allow foreigners to attack/assault them, especially not after 9/11 and especially not in their own damn country! Shame on you for taking the abuse of yet another foreigner and doing nothing about it, furthering the international impression that all americans are whimps!

Now, anyone want to give ME crap about MY opinions on foreigners laying their hands on American citizens, go for it, because I really don't give a rat's fanny what anyone thinks about that. I will not be assaulted in my own person, in my own country no less by anyone, foreign or not! Had this have happened to me, the cow would still be crawling around the floor looking for her teeth!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Winter cleaning!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Jan 23, 2005 at 4:05 pm
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:11 pm

(Maybe she was Portugese!)
This thread is reminding me more and more of the movie "Tune in tomorrow" with Peter Falk.

Hey Doc, the next time you post an attention-getting with tabloid-like headlines thread, drop the irrelevant observations that you aren't sure of which only gets the worst out of people and unnecesarily reinforces existing prejudices, OK? Unless getting high view counts and OT replies is the goal....
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Winter cleaning!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Jan 23, 2005 at 4:06 pm
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
... some horses you cant even get to the water to coax them to drink.
^ Ain't that the truth. IMHO, venk's statement was clear, concise, and sensible... not at all difficult to comprehend. Ah, well.

Back OT: I love to read of the OP's adventures. My travels seem so dull in comparison. I think it was rather noble that he didn't press charges, although I would have been sorely tempted to do so.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jan 4, 2005 at 3:49 pm Reason: caint talk rite
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:55 pm

... but my fan club over there is a bit spookier than the Russian Mob
You called...

Happy New Year CharlesMD
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Funny Funny Funny!!!

Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer
Had this have happened to me, the cow would still be crawling around the floor looking for her teeth!
Okay... I might not agree exactly with the Wing's feelings on this, but I have to laugh at the last line.

And enough about being PC: I'd bet the majority of those on their soapboxes are guilty of the same crime from time to time.

Flyer1965, I'm sure Dennis Miller would be proud of you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.