Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by jeremybe
I'm looking at booking flights for 3 to Sydney for next Jan in business - Next to impossible I've been told - If I try flying JFK to Etihad to Sydney is this a valid routing? I know I can not traverse Asia, but what about the Middle East?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
On a North America-South Pacific routing, you may not connect in any third zone.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 15, 2014 at 1:04 pm
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by jeremybe
I'm looking at booking flights for 3 to Sydney for next Jan in business - Next to impossible I've been told - If I try flying JFK to Etihad to Sydney is this a valid routing? I know I can not traverse Asia, but what about the Middle East?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
It will be difficult but when available try JFK-NAN/NAN-SYD on FJ.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by grussellt
It will be difficult but when available try JFK-NAN/NAN-SYD on FJ.
Except that FJ does not serve JFK.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:49 pm

The search is for JFK-NAN to force this choice. Presumably JFK-LAX will be AA or such other carrier as may be available.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:25 pm
Suspended

The search where? AA's award booking engine does not show FJ flights.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by StevenH123
I booked a Z award HND-JFK-SFO with a stop in JFK. I've flown the HND-JFK segment and would like to change the JFK-SFO segment to somewhere warmer. Maybe JFK-LAX or SJU. Now that the HND-JFK service is cancelled how does the published fare rule apply for award routing? Can I change the destination or am I locked in with SFO? I'm (finally) exp if it makes a difference.
Originally Posted by murtuza
.Not sure if someone answered this, but can this be done as I am in similar situation.
I finally got around to calling and they let me change to JFK-CUN without hesitation.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
The search where? AA's award booking engine does not show FJ flights.
Have a look at QFF (you can join for free) and then call AA to book.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:47 pm

How come AB awards don't show up on AA.com? The only options it gives is for BA flights? Do AB awards with AA have to be called in?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Many - most!- partner and oneworld awards must be called in, as the state of the art of AA IT is 1980s. (But see guv1976 below...)

We'll now merge this into the AA Partner etc. awards thread, where much of this has been discussed at length. /Moderator

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
How come AB awards don't show up on AA.com? The only options it gives is for BA flights? Do AB awards with AA have to be called in?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 20, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Awards on AB metal, when available, will show on aa.com, and can be booked there.

The reason awards on BA metal are sometimes the only options displayed on aa.com is because many people are not willing to pay the hefty surcharges associated with BA award flights; hence, those flights tend to be more available than award flights with no surcharges.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Indeed. Good old laws of supply and demand - lots of supply, not much demand, for hundreds of dollars in extra "YQ" surcharges.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Awards on AB metal, when available, will show on aa.com, and can be booked there.

The reason awards on BA metal are sometimes the only options displayed on aa.com is because many people are not willing to pay the hefty surcharges associated with BA award flights; hence, those flights tend to be more available than award flights with no surcharges.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

I find that hard to believe. Aside from the less than %5 savvy travelers who know that AB has no fuel surcharges. How would Joe Schmo and company be aware of this specific information to book up all the AB flights.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Question about All Partner Awards

Hello - the old mega thread on this subject has been closed so I am not sure where to post my question. Can someone please advise me.

my question is:-

I would like to secure award seats on either LAN or QF to/from SYD and SCL. When I called the agent offered me a code-share LAN flight operated by QF. She was surprised that this was offered and doubled checked the rules and said yes it was allowed. I put this on hold yesterday and plan to ticket today.

My searches using KVS (BA method) showed seats on LAN but none on QF so I am a bit confused. Hopefully it is OK. Does anyone know for sure if this is allowed - I don't want to have an issue with these seats.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:56 pm

I find that hard to believe. Aside from the less than %5 savvy travelers who know that AB has no fuel surcharges. How would Joe Schmo and company be aware of this specific information to book up all the AB flights.
They don't have to know the specifics. On AA.com, when AB flights are selected, the extra fees displayed is significantly smaller than when BA flights are selected. People tend to book the cheaper option, even if they don't understand why it is cheaper.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:55 pm

Not sure if this has been reported here but I found that DCA, which is not a gateway city to Asia, can be somehow added as a gateway stopover point if combined with AA 175/176 (DCA-DFW-NRT). I didn't book by myself but the website quotes me only 25k if I start from any other US cities. Other possibilities are:
AA61/60, MIA-DFW-NRT
AA169/170, LAS-LAX-NRT
AA153/154, MCO-ORD-NRT
Has anyone succeeded it? It would be awesome if this is officially allowed. Then, I can add JL's NRT-ICN by calling AA and have very flexible stopover choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.