Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page > ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

 

Old Jan 1, 14, 5:44 pm
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Posts: 863
Post ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

I have a "free one way" question.
I'm planning on going to Thailand in november, but trying to throw in a return trip from hawaii. Its going backwards so I wonder if they'll allow it. Can I book

HNL-LAX (stopover at US gateway), LAX-HKG-BKK


Thanks!
exmike is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 6:03 pm
  #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 36,326
Originally Posted by exmike View Post
I have a "free one way" question.
I'm planning on going to Thailand in november, but trying to throw in a return trip from hawaii. Its going backwards so I wonder if they'll allow it. Can I book

HNL-LAX (stopover at US gateway), LAX-HKG-BKK


Thanks!
Given the distance is 36% over the MPM for an AA fare, I would doubt that the routing would be allowed
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jan 3, 14, 10:10 pm
  #3
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Posts: 863
I think I may have made a mistake with my booking. Am I wrong to assume that if you cannot book a flight with a overnight stopover if there is a scheduled onward flight, even if there is no award availability? For example, I am flying form KUL-HKG-LAX, There are KUL-HKG award flights available, and there are HKG-LAX onward flights, but an award flight is not available until the next day. Can I still book it?
exmike is offline  
Old Jan 3, 14, 10:44 pm
  #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,656
Originally Posted by exmike View Post
I think I may have made a mistake with my booking. Am I wrong to assume that if you cannot book a flight with a overnight stopover if there is a scheduled onward flight, even if there is no award availability? For example, I am flying form KUL-HKG-LAX, There are KUL-HKG award flights available, and there are HKG-LAX onward flights, but an award flight is not available until the next day. Can I still book it?
For international itineraries, as long as your connection time is less than 24 hours, you can book it as a connection. It doesn't matter if your connecting flight is departing the next day.
ckpeter is offline  
Old Jan 3, 14, 10:47 pm
  #5
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Posts: 863
Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
For international itineraries, as long as your connection time is less than 24 hours, you can book it as a connection. It doesn't matter if your connecting flight is departing the next day.
Thanks. great. now i have to pay $150 to tack on the flights. such a newbie
exmike is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 2:42 am
  #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CBR
Posts: 4,112
Europe to/from South Pacific:
will allow for connections in Singapore or Bangkok only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed.

**this rule may actually be this now:
Award travel between Europe and the South Pacific will allow for connections in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Narita, Osaka or Singapore only. Stopovers in these cities for this award are not allowed.**
Can anyone confirm that it now includes DOH since QR joined ow?

Thanks!
edy4eva is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 3:17 am
  #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MEL
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 11,842
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Can anyone confirm that it now includes DOH since QR joined ow?

Thanks!
i haven't heard that the rule has been changed. If wanting to go via the mid-east this essentially limits choice to SYD/MEL-LHR on the direct QF services (no flight number change allowed in DXB)

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jan 4, 14 at 4:43 am Reason: clarity
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 10:59 am
  #8
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: UA, AA
Posts: 519
mid-travel award change

I have an award ticket ICN-DFW (free stop-over), DFW-IAH, and I've already flown the international segment, ICN-DFW.

Would I be able to change the destination of the final segment by paying the change fee? For instance, from DFW-IAH to DFW-LAX or even DFW-HNL?
nydad is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 1:35 pm
  #9
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,656
Originally Posted by nydad View Post
I have an award ticket ICN-DFW (free stop-over), DFW-IAH, and I've already flown the international segment, ICN-DFW.

Would I be able to change the destination of the final segment by paying the change fee? For instance, from DFW-IAH to DFW-LAX or even DFW-HNL?
Yes. Changing destination is possible, even on a partially flown award.
ckpeter is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 2:51 pm
  #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia
Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Can anyone confirm that it now includes DOH since QR joined ow?

Thanks!
I have sent an email to AAdvantage suggesting that South Pacific - Europe awards should now include routes via DOH (and also AMM on RJ). It would help make up for the loss of QF via SIN and BKK. However no response yet.
Granlor is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 3:28 pm
  #11
2018 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Posts: 451
OW Stopover on oneway rewards ticket?

I want to use AA miles for a oneway ticket from NRT to VNS (JAL to 9W via DEL). Am I allowed a stopover in the transit point (DEL)? AADVANTAGE has given me conflicting info. Th anks
cagcag is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 3:35 pm
  #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 11,951
Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
I want to use AA miles for a oneway ticket from NRT to VNS (JAL to 9W via DEL). Am I allowed a stopover in the transit point (DEL)? AADVANTAGE has given me conflicting info. Th anks
The AA forum is the best place for information about AA award tickets. There are no standard oneworld rules about when someone can stopover on an award ticket -- the rules regarding rewards are up to the individual airline whose miles/points you are using.
See this thread in the AA forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html

My memory is that stopovers were eliminated from most oneway rewards except to/from NA and then it must be in the NA gateway.
Edited to add: To clarify I was referring to AA here.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jan 4, 14 at 4:35 pm
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 4:28 pm
  #13
Formerly known as vgandhi
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
Posts: 623
OW Stopover on oneway rewards ticket?

I agree with Jerry most airlines have cancelled stopover on one way awards
gotofly is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 4:35 pm
  #14
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,858
Don't hold your breath. This issue has been discussed to death. No question that AA is aware of it.

You forgot about Etihad. Other airlines involved in this issue for connections to Africa include El Al and Gulf Air.
Austinrunner is offline  
Old Jan 4, 14, 8:51 pm
  #15
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: OW Emerald
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
I want to use AA miles for a oneway ticket from NRT to VNS (JAL to 9W via DEL). Am I allowed a stopover in the transit point (DEL)? AADVANTAGE has given me conflicting info. Th anks
No.

Because you are including 9W, it must be an "all partner award" (as opposed to a "oneworld explorer award"), and these do not allow stopovers except at the North American gateway. Since you are not traveling via North America, no stopover allowed.
jridge is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.