Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver award reduction / scarcity 2011 - Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by gq_dq
Or the London Olympics? This however is likely not the case considering that BA has wide open availability into Heathrow for next summer.
I don't see why the Olympics, starting July 25, would affect award seats 2 months earlier.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I am kicking myself. I had flights on hold that I did not book because there was so much available. Now I can not find a single international ticket for June. I am an idiot.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:41 pm

We just ticketed 2 biz BA SFO-LAX-LHR-VIE for May 22nd with 2 biz seats on ATN returning June 16th CDG-LAX-SFO and the ATN agent said we got the last 2 seats! I was really shocked, but grateful. We'd actually prefer not to fly on BA since the taxes are so high, but with all that's going on with availability, we're happy to have seats at all.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:49 pm

Even a while back (before this recent event) when I booked my F and J award tickets, availability to Europe was extremely scarce.

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Business Class Saver SFO-YVR-LHR-FCO available 27/28/29 and 30 May

Also via MIA/JFK/BOS varies depending on date SFO/XXX/MAD/FCO with IB 27 to 30 May
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yep, I know that - but I think RM has put a block until they figure it out; it's easier for them to block now and release closer in if sales do not materialize. It's just my opinion, but I do not believe it's an IT glitch, nor do I believe all the seats have been snatched up - I think this is deliberate and I believe it involves Revenue Management.

If I am wrong, then, I am wrong.

Originally Posted by mvoight
The Olympics start on July 25, so I don't think this would affect tickets on May 20 or so.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
So, will AA send us in discounted seats to HEL next summer?
That would be great if they did so, as HEL is a much nicer connecting airport than LHR.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Has anybody been able to find any saaver seats in Business or Coach for next summer yet? I keep calling and there is nothing after June 22nd on any airline (except Air Tahiti Nui from LAX to CDG). I'm trying to get two tix for my honeymoon for last week of June or later, and having absolutely no luck... even in Coach. This is pretty frustrating, especially that it's a year beforehand.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 3:37 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Has anybody been able to find any saaver seats in Business or Coach for next summer yet? I keep calling and there is nothing after June 22nd on any airline (except Air Tahiti Nui from LAX to CDG). I'm trying to get two tix for my honeymoon for last week of June or later, and having absolutely no luck... even in Coach. This is pretty frustrating, especially that it's a year beforehand.
If your aim is to fly LAX-CDG then doing so on TN in J should be wonderful (at least that's what I've read over the years). If they have seats currently available I'd grab them. My 2 cents.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by onetess
There are a ton of British Airways World Traveler (their Coach) NYC-LON flights that were just loaded for June 22nd/June 23rd. Not sure how bad the taxes will be compared to booking flights on AA, but it's worth checking out.
Yesterday I booked 2 award seats on BA for 4 July 2012 using 50k miles for both. I had planned on using AA but, as everyone knows now, it won't happen at 60k miles needed for one way. Anyway, the BA taxes/fees are exorbitant! When I book the return in a couple of weeks, the total in fees will be over $1,000. So much for 'free' tickets! I hate paying that much, but I don't have enough miles otherwise. Very frustrating!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
FWIW or not, the kind of change covered by this thread motivated me to expedite booking a fair amount of long-haul (Europe, South America, Asia) award travel for "off-peak season dates" while the mileage discount remains as substantial as is still the case compared to the ordinary mileage price for travel that that is not within "Economy off-peak season dates".

I'd rather risk dealing with date change problems under the current rules than end up having to get tickets issued later under a regime with higher mileage prices and/or more complex award chart arrangement(s). [Moving up my travel plans is probably better anyway since it reduces exposure to devaluation not only of my large AA mileage balance but also of my hotel point balance.] Just my reaction to the situation.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 8, 2011 at 6:57 am
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
CDG September 2012?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
FWIW or not, the kind of change covered by this thread motivated me to expedite booking a fair amount of long-haul (Europe, South America, Asia) award travel for "off-peak season dates" while the mileage discount remains as substantial...
So I've been thinking about three weeks in France in September 2012. Normally I'd just wait until 330 days prior and book a SAAver outbound, wait three more weeks and book a return. Is this a suggestion that there is a good way to hedge that by booking something now and changing it later?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:52 am

What I find amazing is that there is no biz class availability at all September 2011 to January 2012. So we're talking off-peak times. This is for CDG-SFO

I had to downgrade to an economy class ticket for my return to the states on September 14 (previously booked a biz class return on Aug 17 back in January 2011).

RM is definitely being very very stingy.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by sk3
If your aim is to fly LAX-CDG then doing so on TN in J should be wonderful (at least that's what I've read over the years). If they have seats currently available I'd grab them. My 2 cents.
Trying to go to Istanbul and/or Athens. I think it's ridiculous though that nothing is available on any oneworld carrier one year out (except a stray seat or two on Finnair or Air Tahiti). I checked on United.com and found tons of seats including on United, Lufthansa (even the a380!), etc. But I'm hesitant to use my united miles since I have no status there anymore and the change/rerouting policies are strict.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:33 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Trying to go to Istanbul and/or Athens. I think it's ridiculous though that nothing is available on any oneworld carrier one year out (except a stray seat or two on Finnair or Air Tahiti). I checked on United.com and found tons of seats including on United, Lufthansa (even the a380!), etc. But I'm hesitant to use my united miles since I have no status there anymore and the change/rerouting policies are strict.
Guess I'm missing something here - Looking at July 2012 (as far out as 330 days) I can see seats from NYC to ATH and/or IST - both coach and business - using Iberia and/or Royal Jordanian, pretty much every day. (Use the Qantas availability engine.) Maybe you're just not seeing anything with easy/through connections from the west coast instead? But if you could get to the east coast, it looks fairly open.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:14 am

Yikes! I'm not planning on Europe travel next summer, but am stockpiling miles for summer 2013. I hope this is just an Olympics thing and not the norm! I was counting on 125K RT in F.

Does this normally happen every summer? Or just a fluke?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.