ARCHIVE: MileSAAver award reduction / scarcity 2011 - Dec 2014

Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
Agreed this is huge. I feel almost as if AA morphed into DL when I wasn't looking.
+1.

This is one of the few things in my 20 years with AAdvantage that has me truly concerned. Reasonable sAAver AAward availability is one of the major things that has kept me loyal to American even when flying UA would be so much easier for me as an SFO-based flyer.

I really hope this is temporary and not a permanent change in AAdvantage availability or a desire to push most awards to AAnytime AAwards.

I'm hopeful that this thread can gain traction and catch the attention of Maya Leibman and others at American.

Very concerning...
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:03 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
+1.

This is one of the few things in my 20 years with AAdvantage that has me truly concerned. Reasonable sAAver AAward availability is one of the major things that has kept me loyal to American even when flying UA would be so much easier for me as an SFO-based flyer.

I really hope this is temporary and not a permanent change in AAdvantage availability or a desire to push most awards to AAnytime AAwards.

I'm hopeful that this thread can gain traction and catch the attention of Maya Leibman and others at American.

Very concerning...
Perhaps we need a dedicated thread (best if started by one of our more respected and longtime contributors) specifically on the topic of the zero-ing out of major int'l routes in the premium cabins. This thread started out concerned with lack of 'T' availability that later returned - its title does not reflect the current issues and concerns. And perhaps in this instance to aid our cause, we should not shy away from a sensationalist type of title - not employed for the usual trolling reasons - but used this time with the goal of getting the attention of not only Ms. Liebman but also the attention of all the journalists and travel sector insiders that use FT as a source. What say you AA Forum FT senior members?

Last edited by sk3; Aug 26, 2011 at 3:09 am
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:10 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by sk3
Perhaps we need a dedicated thread (best if started by one of our more respected and longtime contributors) specifically on the topic of the zero-ing out of major int'l routes in the premium cabins. This thread started out concerned with lack of 'T' availability that later returned - its title does not reflect the current issues and concerns. And perhaps in this instance to aid our cause, we should not shy away from a sensationalist type of title - not employed for the usual trolling reasons - but used this time with the goal of getting the attention of not only Ms. Liebman but also the attention of all the journalists and travel sector insiders that use FT as a source. What say you AA Forum FT senior members?
Agree completely.

At the very least, the current thread title is misleading, as it lumps together T, U, and Z, and says "they're back" which is demonstrably not true for U.

A new thread, focused on U to Europe, would be ideal.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:14 am

Zero Biz MileSAAver awards JFK-LHR through end of schedule

As of the moment, there are no available J milesaaver awards from JFK-LHR, from today through the end of the schedule (July 2012). There are only two F milesaaver awards JFK-LHR, and those are in July 2012.

Up until a few weeks ago, there was a lot of availability and anyone with a reasonable amount of flexibility could easily find seats. Then it disappeared. Other routes (such as to FCO) have long been a problem, but this is new.

This appears to be a massive negative change in AAdvantage and it's been going on for too long to be regarded as a glitch. It's not a matter of lack of flexibility or that flights are selling out, many are F7J7 shortly before flight time.

bedelman has posted screenshots documenting the lack of availability:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16980104-post104.html

It still appears possible to fly BA (but then there are large YQ fees) or IB (but many fewer flights).

There was a recent temporary decrease in economy awards. This is a much different situation. A thread on that topic is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eyre-back.html A number of posters towards the end of that thread suggested starting a thread on premium unavailability.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by sk3
Agreed.

AA has been so far one of the few worldwide programs where consumers have been confident of reciprocity.

The fact that saver awards may become hit or miss seriously devaluates the program and the miles deposited.

I believe it is high time AA comes up front, comment and clears it all up. Letting time go by without an official statement while evidences mount up, serve only to downgrade AA miles and all the investment AA has vested for decades in AAdvantage.

One of my main reasons to pile up AA miles has been for the simplicity to redeem saver awards at known/agreed costs in any cabin, including premium ones. Hit/miss have never been a part of the equation.

This issue is not limited to Europe but South America as well.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:21 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by justageek
Agree completely.

At the very least, the current thread title is misleading, as it lumps together T, U, and Z, and says "they're back" which is demonstrably not true for U.

A new thread, focused on U to Europe, would be ideal.
agreed and good point. visitors from other forums (UA and DL) should immediately see this topic in case they are thinking of switching to AA based on historical great availability.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
This is a really important point that is, unfortunately, being overshadowed by the changes to the million miler program. AA, please speak up.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:47 am

I'm in the market for tix in October from ORD to CDG and have been watching this for the past few weeks; it has me really concerned. People were talking about the Olympics, but that clearly has no impact on this October. I've been flexible (out of ORD, JFK, MIA, DFW; into CDG, LHR, MAD, BCN; 2 week long range of dates; first or business) and the availability has been almost non-existent. I grabbed JFK to LHR when it appeared and figured I could re-deposit the miles if something better came along. So far, what keeps popping up is a 757 from BOS to CDG. Other than MIA to CDG on the 29th in business (just saw that today), that is all I have seen. I am trying to figure out the benefits to AA of shifting these award tix to BA (because availability has been better there for the period I have been tracking).
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I am trying to figure out the benefits to AA of shifting these award tix to BA (because availability has been better there for the period I have been tracking).
Not sure if this is right, but if the JBV involves revenue sharing on TATL (as I think it does), then AA may make more money by shunting people over to BA J where they currently pay a hefty fuel surcharge to redeem their AA miles, rather than not earning that fuel surcharge when they redeem on AA.

But maybe I'm wrong, and revenue sharing of this kind only happens for fully paid tickets and not mileage redemptions?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I'm in the market for tix in October from ORD to CDG and have been watching this for the past few weeks; it has me really concerned. People were talking about the Olympics, but that clearly has no impact on this October. I've been flexible (out of ORD, JFK, MIA, DFW; into CDG, LHR, MAD, BCN; 2 week long range of dates; first or business) and the availability has been almost non-existent. I grabbed JFK to LHR when it appeared and figured I could re-deposit the miles if something better came along. So far, what keeps popping up is a 757 from BOS to CDG. Other than MIA to CDG on the 29th in business (just saw that today), that is all I have seen. I am trying to figure out the benefits to AA of shifting these award tix to BA (because availability has been better there for the period I have been tracking).
Have you called AA to check on availability for ORD-MAD-ORY on IB? How about ORD-BRU on AA? Or ORD-EWR/JFK/YYZ on AA, and then 9W to BRU?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you called AA to check on availability for ORD-MAD-ORY on IB? How about ORD-BRU on AA? Or ORD-EWR/JFK/YYZ on AA, and then 9W to BRU?
Thanks for the alternatives. I have, in fact, tried BRU too - just forgot to include that in the list. As to IB, I want to fly on AA; I am trying to get my mother's ticket on miles while purchasing mine on AA so I can use a SWU. I haven't even looked at the cost (it might be prohibitive), but that is my starting point.

I am not too worried about this particular trip; I am far more worried about what is going on more generally regarding first and biz milesaaver awards on AA.

One more point: the tix that I was able to grab did not show up in normal inventory - they were part of the expanded EXP inventory.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Yes, none for ORD-LHR either. It's ridiculous. And I'm trying to fly in months like January and February!! Not highly desirable months to travel to London. Why do I bother earning all of these miles if I can't use them?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:17 pm

As someone who lives in DFW and exclusively uses AA (even when it's not the cheapest) I am really disappointed. I make choices that cost me more now, so that I can convince hubby to fly to Europe in F (or J on a shorter flight). If availability dries up I will be incredibly disheartened.

I have a lot of time invested in dramatically altering my flying and spending habits for the sole purpose of F/J to Europe.

Being forced over to BA seems unreasonable. I chose AA because it did not have the horrendous fuel surcharges. If I wanted the surcharges I would have been opening BA credit cards as opposed to Citi cards (with their awful website) or SPG.

This coming from a casual traveler with approximately 5-10 paid flights per year and redeeming one F/J each year.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
This is not really the issue. Historically, partner biz/first international awards have showed significantly less availability than awards on AA's own metal, so the best recourse has usually been to take AA's main flights overseas (e.g., to LHR or to NRT). If partner awards are now much easier to get than awards on AA's on planes, then overall award availability has been drastically reduced.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The OP does not show his aa status in his/her profile. Frequently there is special availability for exps. [I had forgotten about this perk, until I received an email from aa reminding me of all the "good" things exps might be entitled to.]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.