ARCHIVE: MileSAAver award reduction / scarcity 2011 - Dec 2014

 
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:54 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DFW
Programs: AAdvantage Plt, Hyatt Plt, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold.
Posts: 69
FWIW I called AA yesterday just looking for options as I'm trying to send two very good friends to Rome for their honeymoon next May (20th - 31st). They have some flexibility to leave from ORD, YYZ, JFK, BOS, etc. They looked around and were able to book them on British Air for 50k miles pp each way via YYZ-LHR-FCO (they are getting married in BUF due to family) and home via FCO-LHR-DFW. Taxes were about 1k (300 going, 750 return). Problem is the layovers take out a good chunk of their time so while the deal is on hold I don't think I'll book it. The rep did say there was some good availablility on that route. Just for kicks I asked how much to simply buy the route, $10k+

So the hunt goes on, and on, and on. Any thoughts on just booking them in the back with the chickens and hoping for a C upgrade (yes I know of the link regarding C upgrades, I'm just musing)?
system error is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:12 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Tulsa OK USA
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 620
Availability seems to have reappeared as of this am. Yesterday, nothing anywhere but today lots of seats, in coach, business, and first to LHR. Also am finding they have reappeared to Helsinki. Didn't check any other cities since I am planning a trip from Oslo to the US and will connect through one of these.
RachelG is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:29 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,055
I checked IAD to LHR in June/July and there are seats again. Not a lot atm, but more than none, which is where things were!

I hope to start looking for my late-July/mid-August flights soon and was preparing to panic.
IkeEsq is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:55 pm
  #64  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 244
Cursory look shows availability for some flights

between states and Europe through June 18...I have not done any thorough check, but from what I have seen at least it is open for some dates through June 18...
garygleck is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:17 pm
  #65  
sk3
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 2,741
Just checked JFK-FCO and ORD-FCO (and the returns) and Coach MileSAAvers are back. But Business remains blacked out.

So re the Europe coach seats - maybe a glitch afterall?

Originally Posted by system error
FWIW I called AA yesterday just looking for options as I'm trying to send two very good friends to Rome for their honeymoon next May (20th - 31st). They have some flexibility to leave from ORD, YYZ, JFK, BOS, etc. They looked around and were able to book them on British Air for 50k miles pp each way via YYZ-LHR-FCO (they are getting married in BUF due to family) and home via FCO-LHR-DFW. Taxes were about 1k (300 going, 750 return). Problem is the layovers take out a good chunk of their time so while the deal is on hold I don't think I'll book it. The rep did say there was some good availablility on that route. Just for kicks I asked how much to simply buy the route, $10k+

So the hunt goes on, and on, and on. Any thoughts on just booking them in the back with the chickens and hoping for a C upgrade (yes I know of the link regarding C upgrades, I'm just musing)?
Your friends could fly to FCO thru MAD on IB in business for the same 50K miles but for only ~ $80 in taxes and fees per ticket. I've found IB availability pretty decent.
sk3 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:39 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York, NY
Programs: The Golden status boy
Posts: 854
It's a start, but boy did they reduce these things. Last June there was a spattering of days that weren't 30K. Now, it's a total reverse. We are planning on flying into CDG and out of FRA for Oktoberfest next year. Not so sure that we'll be able to do it if this trend continues.
spankytoes is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:37 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Unless I am mistaken, AA allows bookings for date of travel up to 330 days in advance. 35 days (5 weeks) back from 8th August is 4th July
In my original post, I was trying to say that I used BA miles to book LHR for 4 July next summer, 50k for each ticket, and over $400 in fees. The return flight which will be 1 Aug, will have fees over $600 with BA. However, two tickets will be 50k miles (if I can get them purchased before the 1/2 offer ends) and the AA tickets would be 120k miles with lower fees. I'm still not sure which option I will take, but probably BA because I can be sure I will get the seats earlier than on AA, and I want to save my AA miles for the future even though I may have difficulty getting flights. So disappointed in AA.
scotlass is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:15 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,616
Originally Posted by RachelG
Availability seems to have reappeared as of this am. Yesterday, nothing anywhere but today lots of seats, in coach, business, and first to LHR.
+1

It almost seems like someone at AAdvantage Res was taking a 5 day weekend (returned this morning) and had the power to remove all Summer 2012 reward seats to Europe while they were away. I'm not seeing the logic behind having the availability be abundant (i.e. through last Thursday evening) and then non-existent for five days, and then relatively abundant again (today). I know that this is a game, but since when is it all or nothing?
jbalmuth is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:07 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 754
Still looks bleak for July, but back to sane levels.
tjbrooks is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:45 pm
  #70  
sk3
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 2,741
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Still looks bleak for July, but back to sane levels.
As reported above, there are European routes whose MileSAAvers are loaded a couple of weeks after the AAnytimes.

And AAnytimes are only currently loaded until July 6... so far too early to categorize July as bleak.

I'm aware that FCO is loaded about 314 days out, CDG and MAD are loaded about 318 days out - that's why you don't see these MileSAAvers for July yet.

Where is your destination?
sk3 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:57 pm
  #71  
sk3
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 2,741
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
+1

It almost seems like someone at AAdvantage Res was taking a 5 day weekend (returned this morning) and had the power to remove all Summer 2012 reward seats to Europe while they were away. I'm not seeing the logic behind having the availability be abundant (i.e. through last Thursday evening) and then non-existent for five days, and then relatively abundant again (today). I know that this is a game, but since when is it all or nothing?
Here's my guess, based on nothing but my gut so roll eyes at will:

Something is definitely afoot. AA has just re-tinkered with their usual load-in pattern, and as surmised on TB it ain't going to be an improvement from what we've had the last few years. And when doing this readjustment the AA programmers had a hiccup which resulted in the momentary vanishing of 'T' availability.

Yes, I've pulled this theory out of my .... assumption locker. But to me it seems logical.

That, or AA just wanted to freak us all out for a few days for a chuckle.
sk3 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:17 pm
  #72  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 244
States to BCN was previously (prior to last

Originally Posted by sk3
As reported above, there are European routes whose MileSAAvers are loaded a couple of weeks after the AAnytimes.

And AAnytimes are only currently loaded until July 6... so far too early to categorize July as bleak.

I'm aware that FCO is loaded about 314 days out, CDG and MAD are loaded about 318 days out - that's why you don't see these MileSAAvers for July yet.

Where is your destination?
Wednesday) loaded just like all the other 330 day fares (perhaps one day later)...Therefore, I still surmise something is going on, since post June 15 are not available...
garygleck is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:20 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 754
Originally Posted by sk3
As reported above, there are European routes whose MileSAAvers are loaded a couple of weeks after the AAnytimes.

And AAnytimes are only currently loaded until July 6... so far too early to categorize July as bleak.

I'm aware that FCO is loaded about 314 days out, CDG and MAD are loaded about 318 days out - that's why you don't see these MileSAAvers for July yet.

Where is your destination?
Ahh, didn't know about the 314/318. Totally missed that. Thanks.
Wedding in Yorkshire England, willing to make an adventure out of it (CDG/MAD/BCN/DUB/MAN). Into LHR would be easiest.
tjbrooks is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:37 pm
  #74  
sk3
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 2,741
Originally Posted by garygleck
Wednesday) loaded just like all the other 330 day fares (perhaps one day later)...Therefore, I still surmise something is going on, since post June 15 are not available...
I never did a search for BCN. And it's only JFK-FCO and ORD-FCO that I've been tracking for a long time and their seats have been loaded at 314 days.

It's today that I see JFK-MAD, JFK-CDG loaded 318 days out... so maybe the overhaul, or whatever they did, is now showing a more consistent availability with all of them at 318 days (if in fact JFK-MAD, JFK-CDG had previously been loaded up to 331 days the way you saw it was for BCN).

And I agree with you, I think something certainly has been altered within AA's award availability structure.
sk3 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:54 pm
  #75  
sk3
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 2,741
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Ahh, didn't know about the 314/318. Totally missed that. Thanks.
Wedding in Yorkshire England, willing to make an adventure out of it (CDG/MAD/BCN/DUB/MAN). Into LHR would be easiest.
Then I'd think the Olympics will be playing a factor in your case.

JFK-MAN or ORD-MAN will save you alot in fees, if you can get them - but you probably know that.

Are you checking partner availability? You could set up a BAEC and/or QF account and start monitoring BA and IB.

Good luck.
sk3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.