ARCHIVE: MileSAAver award reduction / scarcity 2011 - Dec 2014

Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
ExpertFlyer has an email notification system for availability (which I have used, but never relied on as the emails seem to always be considerably delayed).
Damn, I just bit the bullet and signed up. Are they not reliable?

BTW, things are coming online. I'm seeing July 30K SAAver coach awards now.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I've never known ExpertFlyer to not be totally reliable --- it's just that my email doesn't necessarily arrive timely. [It's not a particularly rare occasion that I find an email dated yesterday that appears in my in-box for the first time this afternoon or evening.] I therefore prefer/rely on my actively checking ExpertFlyer, rather on them contacting me. YMMV
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I've noted that TATL availability for summer 2012 is very volatile (i.e. comes and goes each day). My approach has been to be patient, and look each day (I use ExpertFlyer for this), and have been happily surprised by days where many flights are T7 where they had all been T0 the evening before. ExpertFlyer has an email notification system for availability (which I have used, but never relied on as the emails seem to always be considerably delayed).
I agree. Availability into LHR in late May and June has been both bountiful and then non existent, all within a short period of time. It's surprising due to the Olympics but hey. Economy seems to be no problem at all.

On my first stab I found both JFK-LHR vv on AA and LHR-CPT, JNB-LHR on BA in J.

Although, I've been searching for space in J to Madrid and that has been challenging. A random seat here and there, but not a lot opening up.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I agree. Availability into LHR in late May and June has been both bountiful and then non existent, all within a short period of time. It's surprising due to the Olympics but hey. Economy seems to be no problem at all.
The Olympics don't start until July 27, so I didn't think it would have much impact on award travel much for May and June.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
I have been checking each day for a FC Milesaver award BNA-CPH through LHR. Today, I was able to put the BNA to LHR portion on hold. The agent told me there was nothing available on BA from LHR to CPH and to call each day of the hold. I'm not looking for an award on that leg. I will buy it and find it difficult to believe that there is nothing available for next July. Any words of wisdom to help me finalize this reservation? I'll post this on "Cruise air" on CC also. Some genius will tell me what to do. Thanks, Julia

Last edited by JBGL; Aug 22, 2011 at 6:04 am Reason: misspelling
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
I am currently Platinum. If I book a miles sAAver award to Europe right now (travel spring 2012), can I cancel it for free next year if I hit EXP by the end of 2011?

Last edited by envgeo; Aug 22, 2011 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by envgeo
I am currently Platinum. If I book a miles sAAver award to Europe right now (travel spring 2012), can I cancel it for free next year if I hit EXP by the end of 2011?
Yeah I think so. It depends on your status at the time you are canceling the reservation. If you cancel while you are EXP, the reinstatement fee should be waved.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Thanks. When I call in to book, I will make sure and ask and respond here.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
I called back this afternoon and got my flight from LHR to CPH. I really think that the agent this morning did not understand that I was buying that portion. All's well that ends well. Julia
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JBGL
I have been checking each day for a FC Milesaver award BNA-CPH through LHR. Today, I was able to put the BNA to LHR portion on hold. The agent told me there was nothing available on BA from LHR to CPH and to call each day of the hold. I'm not looking for an award on that leg. I will buy it and find it difficult to believe that there is nothing available for next July. Any words of wisdom to help me finalize this reservation? I'll post this on "Cruise air" on CC also. Some genius will tell me what to do. Thanks, Julia
Business or first class on AA for the Atlantic Ocean-crossing flight(s)?

AA seems to have cut down tremendously on business/first cabin availability for AA flights across the Atlantic when it comes to using miles at the kind of price level that is traditionally most standard (namely, "milesAAver" kind of pricing).

It would be pitiful if for this situation AA tried to use the Olympics as an excuse -- sort of like what DL did a few years back.

The reduction in availability at that kind of price level is rather substantial (to say the least) and is not reflected to mirror (lack of) changes in regular paid fares for travel at comparable time periods.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 23, 2011 at 7:07 am
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
If it's the Olympics, which are late July through early August, why is there no availability in May and June? Surely the athletes, officials, media, and spectators do not all go two months in advance.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by FewMiles
If it's the Olympics, which are late July through early August, why is there no availability in May and June? Surely the athletes, officials, media, and spectators do not all go two months in advance.
Time will tell if it's Olympics related. I really doubt it. The earliest date available is still over a week from the opening ceremonies. They might be shooting themselves in the foot if they're expecting a windfall. I reckon that for every person planning a trip for the Olympics, there's someone avoiding that region like the plague. I saw some of the cheapest flights to Vancouver during the first week of the 2010 Olympics, $199 LAX-YVR a.i. Same goes for LA '84. The anticipated demand was not there.

Stuff is coming online, seemingly random still. I have my TN return already on hold. Shame they only release 1 F and 1 J though.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by FewMiles
Why is there no business availability at all JFK-LHR from today through July?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:42 pm

I made some screenshots preserving what I saw in testing today. See http://www.benedelman.org/travel/aa-...ail-082311.pdf .

In short: Zero Saver availability JFK-LHR through end-of-schedule (July 2012). Two days of First availability JFK-LHR. That's a huge change from what AA has led us to expect, based on prior availability.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:24 pm

Until recently, AA would release J seats a few days before a flight if it there were a lot of unsold seats. It now appears they'll let seats go empty rather than release saver awards, at least based on a quick survey of flights over the past few days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.