FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA Celebrity Sightings and Related - 2000-2012 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/154265-archive-aa-celebrity-sightings-related-2000-2012-a.html)

JIMBOLIGUY Sep 5, 2002 7:27 am

A few weeks ago, we saw Gerald Ford on a flight from ORD-LGA. He sat right in front of us in 1st class. He had 2 SS agents with him -- one in the aisle seat and one in coach. He just sat and read a book. One person asked him for an autograph and he refused.

Saw Regis on a flight from LGA-ORD. Nice and cordial.

Also sat next to Todd Oldham on a MIA-LGA flight in 1st. Unfortunately, it was a bad experience and I have lost all respect for the man (almost to the point of not shopping at Target due to his current promotion).

Also saw a famous director (whose name is escaping me at the moment) in the JFK AC. The only reason I knew it was him -- he was on the front cover of American Way that month.

--Jim

GUWonder Sep 5, 2002 8:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIAFlyer:
Wonder how many more people I would have seen if I could get into the Flagship Lounge...

</font>
I have never seen anyone in the Flagship lounges in Miami nor in Dallas, but that is probably due to my timings of early morning or late night.

[This message has been edited by GUWonder (edited 09-05-2002).]

idainc Sep 5, 2002 8:24 am

Senator John McCain. Exit row coach on an A320

ExpoTrac Sep 5, 2002 8:29 am

I am also terrible at recognizing "celebrities", but I did see George Forman getting off in LAS. Had seen a limo driver holding a "Forman" sign, but it didn't register until a few people said hello to him.

Tim2008 Sep 5, 2002 8:36 am

Alicia Keys on a JFK-CDG in October last year

Tim

aaflyer81 Sep 5, 2002 8:37 am

Bob Costas F Stl-Lga
Alan ALda F Lga-Fll

lalala Sep 5, 2002 11:20 am

um, dca-stl before the last of the season presidential debate between gore and whatshisname --- the guy from cnn's roundtable show, willard scott and ralph nader.

Ralph sat in back, everyone else was in F.

Other than that, no other celebrity sightings of note. I did sit next to a very inebriated mystery writer once phx-sea. I hated him, but learned to love his books. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

lala

GoCougs Sep 5, 2002 11:41 am

Last Christmas seaon at AC DFW, Robert Goulet and goup. Latter when I went in the bathroom he was in there using the facilities (standing) and singing Christmas songs.

JPNewYork Sep 5, 2002 11:50 am

Vernon Jordan from LGA to ORD

Bryant Gumble (and now ex-wife) LHR-JFK

But the best of all is my Dad who sat next to Lauren Bacall from LHR-JKF on the Concorde (oneworld...does that count) and he had no idea of who she was. She was throwing a series of temper tantrums throughout the flight and when the flight landed she order one of the BA reps to collect her bags bring them to her car which was waiting outside. At this point my Dad asked the BA guy, "Who was that? I sat next to her on the plane and she was a real *****!" With typical British understatement he said, "Yes she can be a bit difficult but she is one of our better customers. That was Lauren Bacall."

JBDouglass Sep 5, 2002 12:00 pm

To the lasting despair of my wife and daughter, I am horrible at recognizing celebrities. I regularly fail to recognize them, particularly on the LAX - JFK - LAX run. Here are a few I managed to recognize or have had pointed out to me:

Gwyneth Paltrow - JFK - LAX
Sidney Poitier - LAX - SJC
Ben Kingsley - LAX - JFK
Kate Hudson - ORD - LAX
Rod Stewart - LAX - JFK
Mike Wallace and son (Chris?) - PHX - PHL
Garrett Morris - LAX - JFK

And many more who I couldn't quite place ...

pinniped Sep 5, 2002 12:30 pm

Howard Stern and Posse - DC to Chicago about six years ago. All in F.

Also about 5-6 years ago: on a hot summer Friday afternoon in Chicago, I was sitting in about row 21 on an MD-80 headed for MCI. The flight was full and they were boarding a couple of standbys before departure. Last guy on the plane: Tom Watson. Seat: about two rows ahead of me in coach. He boarded, and pretty much went right to sleep. (If a pro golfer is on a Friday flight, he probably doesn't want to talk to anyone.)

flipside Sep 5, 2002 12:51 pm

Last night...

In F GRU-JFK, that Brazillian woman that had Mick Jaggers baby with baby in tow.

Man... those flagship suites are nice! And that woman is truly stunning.

avmba Sep 5, 2002 1:04 pm

Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile, Armegeddon) across the aisle from me in F LAS-LAX.

He and I spoke briefly as we were waiting to board on the jetbridge. Apparently the gate agent was trying to get us on the plane and out on time, but the pilot didn't want us on. The pilot stormed off the plane and went and had "a chat" with the gate agent.

Michael tried to get me to go talk to the pilot (jokingly) and kept saying "hey man, you're the muscle here - go ahead!" (I'm 5'11, 170#) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

We chatted on the flight home after we got airborne briefly. He was being hosted at the MGM Grand that weekend and evidently had a good time.

A very enjoyable conversation and a very nice guy!

777Brit Sep 5, 2002 1:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flipside:
Last night...

In F GRU-JFK, that Brazillian woman that had Mick Jaggers baby with baby in tow.

Man... those flagship suites are nice! And that woman is truly stunning.

</font>
Her name is Luciana Gimenez-Morad. Her son is called Lucas Morad Jagger, he's about 3½ years old now.

[This message has been edited by 777Brit (edited 09-05-2002).]

flipside Sep 5, 2002 2:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777Brit:
Her name is Luciana Gimenez-Morad. Her son is called Lucas Morad Jagger, he's about 3½ years old now.

[This message has been edited by 777Brit (edited 09-05-2002).]
</font>
Well whatever his name is, he was kind enough to wake everybody in F at 3:30 this morning screaming his brains out. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif