Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by exwannabe
That said, I fail to see how they will allow this to go to trial. That would likely take well over a year, and even then the outcome would be uncertain. Would/could be a huge mess. And time is an issue. With DL being back on track after swallowing NW, and UA/CO starting to get untangled, AA has to get back in the game w/o letting several years go by.
I totally agree with this comment. It will never go to trial. AA/US will make one more attempt at negotiating concessions to secure government approval. If an agreement is not reached, the carriers will end the planned merger and AA will emerge from bk on its own. I expect we will know the outcome within 2-3 months.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by diver858
Originally Posted by rrgg
Are you saying Holder will be thrown under the bus, because he addressed this?

“Airline travel is vital to millions of American consumers who fly regularly for either business or pleasure,” said Attorney General Eric Holder. “By challenging this merger, the Department of Justice is saying that the American people deserve better. This transaction would result in consumers paying the price – in higher airfares, higher fees and fewer choices. Today’s action proves our determination to fight for the best interests of consumers by ensuring robust competition in the marketplace.”
Holder is speaking for the DOJ, no indication that he personally initiated the action.

I also believe it was Holder who made some bold statements a few months back about press leaks of classified information, quickly reversed course when they fought back.
I don't really buy this, or else I guess I don't know how the DOJ works. Are you implying they will initiate a suit like this with Holder being completely uninvolved and not requiring his stamp of approval?

Last edited by rrgg; Aug 14, 2013 at 8:08 am
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by rrgg
I guess I don't know how the DOJ works. Are you implying they will initiate a suit like this with Holder being completely uninvolved and not requiring his stamp of approval?
Certainly not. Holder would have been briefed along the way. In theory he could have vetoed the filing of the lawsuit if he had chosen to do so, but that is a difficult thing to do in the face of strong opinions against the merger within his Antitrust Division.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I agree that hiving off a handful of DCA slots won't resolve the DOJ's concerns. Even in a more fragmented market, the DOJ antitrust division got in the way of US merging before and that was with a third-party, de novo DCAir option.
Well, let's not forget that 7 State AGs joined in on this lawsuit, including the ones from TX and AZ, which should say something and not make it just a focus on DCA slots. I doubt they would care less.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
From the DOJ complaint:

A last minute fare today is $269. Were DCA-BOS fares really hovering around $1,000 each way in 2010, or was it more like in the $600 range, with the $700 drop being on the round-trip fare?

It sounds like there's some exaggeration going on.

The flight I take most often throughout the year is the BOS-DCA shuttle on US Airways. From 2006 - 2010, flights were consistently above $300, and to get it lower, I had to finagle my schedule. I remember one specific example in March of 2009, that every flight from BOS-DCA from then until July was $450 and up. As you can imagine, I was pretty upset. I ended up taking the train, partially out of spite.

While I do like the prospects of a larger and healthier airline, I do wonder if the flights will go back to the examples I quoted above. Since JetBlue's entry into DCA, I haven't paid more than $185 for a round trip flight.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Horton is not speaking publicly because he's speaking privately to his much maligned, overpaid investment bankers et al. (sarc)

Plan B, C, and D will unfold soon.

Magic 8 ball says: If there's a way for mAAnagement to exit B/K with a mega personal payday, they'll execute it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by CaroPalms
The flight I take most often throughout the year is the BOS-DCA shuttle on US Airways. From 2006 - 2010, flights were consistently above $300, and to get it lower, I had to finagle my schedule.
Was that a walk-up one-way fare or an advance purchase round-trip?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Magic 8 ball says: If there's a way for mAAnagement to exit B/K with a mega personal payday, they'll execute it.
You sure have an awfully verbose magic 8 ball!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:28 am

Wow...

The government's case included internal communications among executives at US Airways, who complained about passenger demands to improve services and suggested that a blockbuster merger would ease that pressure.

In a 2011 email exchange, one senior executive vented about the need to install in-flight wireless Internet. He wrote: "[N]ext it will be more legroom. Then industry standard labor contracts. Then better wines. Then the ability to book on Facebook."

Parker, the CEO, wrote back: "Easy now. Consolidation will help stop much of the stupid stuff but inflight Internet is not one of them."
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,660087.story
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Analyzing this situation requires certain facts and circumstances to not be easily dismissed. If it was so clear that either AA or US would be heading into liquidation without the merger, DOJ would not block the merger because antitrust laws recognize a "failing firm" defense to mergers wherein an otherwise anticompetitve merger is allowed if the likely alternative is the financial failure of one of the parties to the merger. The defense has a high burden to meet and I have not seen, and do not expect to hear, anything of the sort from either AA and USAirways. AA has demonstrated that it can continue as a going concern, and as far as I know US Airways is operating just fine, even if on a knife's edge.

Leaving the legal arena, I think there is too much weight/bias being given towards UA and DL successfully executing their domination plans and squeezing out independent US and AA. They are both in a strong position to do so with their size, but the last 16-17 months of the UA show should remind everyone that size alone will not deliver results, it helps a lot, but you must still execute. One or two big mistakes by either UA and DL and AA could thrive. Whereas DOJ sees the merger creating an instantneous MAD situation that results in everyone retreating to their corners and holding what they have at an immediate cost to the consumer. Independent AA and US will have to fight to stay in the game and that is considered healthy from a competition perspective and to the consumer.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by jaguar
I actually feel sorry for Doug Parker and US Airways.
Not me!

It's clear from the DOJ documentation (and past experience) that Dougie wanted to drag AA to gutter level service while hiking prices--essentially creating new found pricing power that does little for the consumer in terms of competition.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM; Priority Club-Platinum
Huge game changer

US chases AA. Unions tip the balance based on Doug's generosity. AA succumbs. DOJ says no.

Fight fruitless. No negotiations can remove legal assertions. Timing off. BK can't wait years. All dominant hub states (ex NC) say no to both home-town airlines. Doug and unions lose. AA management wins.

So now where do the unions stand? They are emasculated. No merger, bankrupt airline, voided contracts renegotiated. How can they win?

With no union leverage, they can follow Eastern (self-destruct) or agree to a really "new AA." AA's profits and prior game plan seem plausible, if not probable. There is a real niche for a well-executed legacy airline business. Not the largest. Not dominant in Asia and Europe. But well executed.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; AC 100K
Originally Posted by Globehopper
Not me!

It's clear from the DOJ documentation (and past experience) that Dougie wanted to drag AA to gutter level service while hiking prices--essentially creating new found pricing power that does little for the consumer in terms of competition.
+1

...and I hope this remains as a part of the DoJ argument going forward. If the government starts backing down, you can guarantee that you'll start hearing this refrain less and less from them.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by exwannabe
That said, I fail to see how they will allow this to go to trial. That would likely take well over a year, and even then the outcome would be uncertain. Would/could be a huge mess. And time is an issue. With DL being back on track after swallowing NW, and UA/CO starting to get untangled, AA has to get back in the game w/o letting several years go by.
Agreed on DL, depends on who you ask about UA/CO. Pilots and FAs are STILL operating as separate pre-merger organization (which oftentimes really screws up ops) and consumers and employees alike seem to be constantly venting their rage at management's recalcitrance, incompetence and attitude.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 14, 2013 at 9:25 am Reason: corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Justice Dept. Suit Signals End of Airline Consolidation, AA-US Airways Merger Said to

I'll contribute this

Justice Dept. Suit Signals End of Airline Consolidation, AA-US Airways Merger Said to Hurt Consumers

In the last century, the U.S. Department of Justice spent a great deal of time and energy on breaking up large companies that were behaving, in the view of regulators, in an anticompetitive and/or monopolistic manner, ranging from Standard Oil to AT&T to Microsoft. In the current century, the agency’s modus operandi has been a bit more preemptive, moving to block mergers that it felt would create such entities.

On Tuesday, the Department of Justice announced it had filed suit to block the planned merger of American Airlines’ parent AMR Corp. and US Airways, saying the merger would threaten competition and drive up the cost of tickets.

If American and US Airways choose to have their day in court and fight, the battle will certainly last more than several months and could, with appeals, take well over a year.

During that time, the lack of certainty will without question have a negative impact on both airlines.

<SNIP>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.