Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
never mind, somehow misread an ancient post as latest
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Originally Posted by miamigrad
I was somewhat surprised to see the AE E 75 as the chosen metal
Previously flown by the Mad Dogs ORD > MSY...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by nologic
AA will obviously renegotiate down their labor contracts, seeing that they were based on a business model which assumed a merger, so all bets would be off if no merger: new ballgame.
The labor contracts were done before the merger, Parker promised raises over them. If the merger does not happen, no renegotiation needs to occur, the current contracts are court approved.

Originally Posted by cbn42
Congress very rarely intervenes in administrative agencies like that. If Congress were to reduce the DOJ's budget, it would likely not take effect until next year, and even then, this lawsuit is such a small part of the DOJ's budget that it likely wouldn't matter at all. Congress could also amend the Clayton Antitrust Act, but that is even more unlikely.

Given that many members of Congress are from states with hubs and flights that may be at risk if the merger goes through, I don't see them stepping in. In fact, when various congressional committees held hearings on the merger earlier this year, they weren't exactly what I would call supportive.
Spot on, and I might add (1) the legislative process takes a while, no bill could get passed before the trial is over, (2) that any bill would need to be signed by Obama. Zero change of that. Plus, I might add, Congress is rather busy being dysfunctional trying to extort concessions on the budget/debt limit by holding the economy hostage. They are too busy being crazy to punk for Parker, no matter how much money he tries to toss at them (and I don't see any so far )

Originally Posted by hillrider
Rekindling the in-tread discussion about the wastefulness of analysts, here's Jamie Baker at its best, handicapping this race:

The depth of the methodology used to get to 50% is stunning.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,5414743.story
This is just so funny. What a tool. Bunch of guys who know zero about the decision being made (a legal one) get considered more than people who know about the decision. If you read the c**p put out by Hunter Keay, its just as stupid and perhaps less well informed, he does not even bother to talk to people who understand anti-trust law.

As I have noted, so far there is not a single actual legal person (professor, litigator, etc) familiar with antitrust law - who is not connected to AA/US - who has been quoted as saying DOJ has a weak case, let alone that AA/US is likely to win.

People like Baker and Keay are sort of like promoters of quack medical cures. Your doctor says your chance of survival is 30%, there is always some quack willing to take your money with a promise of a 99% change of a cure through eating iguana dung in Chad. [PS in fairness to Baker, he was one of the few analysts to see how badly UAL was going to perform, so was ahead of that curve at least].

Originally Posted by ihdihd
I recall seeing a list of milestone dates, but for the life of me can't find it in the thread (even using search). I see that one such date is this:

"The Court shall hold a status conference on October 1, 2013, at 10:30 AM"

But I remember a more detailed list that included some of the deadlines just passed for filings, etc.

Just looking to keep an eye on newsworthy days in this case.
US filed a Rule 37 motion to compel the production of documents today, asking for all documents on the analysis and decisions of prior airline mergers. http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-mergers.html/

This goes to the special master, and I don't know if there are accelerated time lines for the motion to be heard (such a motion usually takes 21 days to get decided). But the decision will be a very interesting one.

Under the Federal Rules discovery is freely given, and you can get discovery of things that are not admissible evidence. As I, and others, have noted unless what is sought is statistical, et al evidence that might be relevant today (showing the validity or non-validity of a technique or method of analysis), what DOJ decided, or the legal analysis they used in the past is not relevant (or admissible).

As such it will be interesting to see how the special master limits or restricts what appears to me to be rather massive discovery requests that AA/US has made. And given how broad they are, there may be discussion along the lines of "well these are quite a broad set of requests, since they will all need to be reviewed document by document, I don't see how DOJ can be expected to provide these in under 30 days, so I am prepared to grant some of these but Judge Kollar may need to reconsider the trial date."

As I noted earlier, there is a big difference between litigating knowing you need to get to trial, and being prepared to focus on what you need/ask for to get there vs carpet bombing the other side to try to bog them down. The Rule 37 motion that US filed says to me that they are trying to carpet bomb, and that will not go over well with the Court, and may impact their ability to keep a trial date. As I noted, big firms like US hired can't litigate fast or efficiently, and this motion shows that this may be happening here.

But watch the order on the Motion to Compel...

Last edited by spin88; Sep 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:29 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by spin88
US filed a Rule 37 motion to compel the production of documents today, asking for all documents on the analysis and decisions of prior airline mergers. http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-mergers.html/

This goes to the special master, and I don't know if there are accelerated time lines for the motion to be heard (such a motion usually takes 21 days to get decided). But the decision will be a very interesting one.

Under the Federal Rules discovery is freely given, and you can get discovery of things that are not admissible evidence. As I, and others, have noted unless what is sought is statistical, et al evidence that might be relevant today (showing the validity or non-validity of a technique or method of analysis), what DOJ decided, or the legal analysis they used in the past is not relevant (or admissible).

As such it will be interesting to see how the special master limits or restricts what appears to me to be rather massive discovery requests that AA/US has made. And given how broad they are, there may be discussion along the lines of "well these are quite a broad set of requests, since they will all need to be reviewed document by document, I don't see how DOJ can be expected to provide these in under 30 days, so I am prepared to grant some of these but Judge Kollar may need to reconsider the trial date."

As I noted earlier, there is a big difference between litigating knowing you need to get to trial, and being prepared to focus on what you need/ask for to get there vs carpet bombing the other side to try to bog them down. The Rule 37 motion that US filed says to me that they are trying to carpet bomb, and that will not go over well with the Court, and may impact their ability to keep a trial date. As I noted, big firms like US hired can't litigate fast or efficiently, and this motion shows that this may be happening here.

I find it surprising that US is requesting discovery of these documents. They are almost certainly not admissible at trial, and requesting them will simply cause delays when they barely have a few days between the scheduled end of trial and their self-imposed deadline.

Can anyone comment on what their motivation might be?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:46 am

I find it surprising that US is requesting discovery of these documents. They are almost certainly not admissible at trial, and requesting them will simply cause delays when they barely have a few days between the scheduled end of trial and their self-imposed deadline.

Perhaps it's the "Certainty of death, small chance of success- what are we waiting for?" mindset.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
My sources indicate that all the internal stuff not prepared for trials would be considered something like "internal deliberations" and not be discoverable. Hard to see this getting much at all.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist

Originally Posted by ckendall
My sources indicate that all the internal stuff not prepared for trials would be considered something like "internal deliberations" and not be discoverable. Hard to see this getting much at all.
I know nothing about anti-trust litigation. From a strategy perspective this could be be good prep for what they see as the true expected outcome of a settlement.

Maybe the notion is that though they know they've lost the schedule battle, they might as well go out with a bang by requesting this documentation, derailing the actual trial, but setting up for a more likely settlement armed with the internal dealings of what DOJ may or may not be amenable to.

The most concerning ulterior motive though may be that with access to this information, US and AA would actually emerge out of a failed merger armed with information about the other mergers that they may not have had. Can they legally use that information in their running the business? Of course not.

But a trial is not the clean room environment of a merger as far as I can tell.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

there is a narrow group of documents that likely ARE admissible at trial, which would be those that DOJ's expert (if they are using the same experts in this case) did in the prior trial [So you could CX them on methodology, prior conclusions].

There is then a broader group of documents that might lead to the discovery of admissible evidence. But I find it hard to believe that more than 5-10% of what they requested is in these categories, and the pulling and review before production is a big task.

By not targeting the requests at only those things that can be easily found and produced and over which they are likely to win, they put the special master/Kollar in a bad place to keep their trial date.

I don't think they have any motivation, they want the trial date, I just think its incompetence. Big law firms litigate like big law firms, and are unable to get beyond the turn over every rock, look (and bill) for looking at every scrap of paper you can get your hands on way they always do things.

Originally Posted by ckendall
This is generally correct. Stuff the lawyers did (unless they somehow waived the privilege, which US is trying to argue, but is a big big stretch) and was not then put into documents given to a court remain absolutely privileged. The problem is that what is discoverable is often inbedded into and part of lawyer work, and it takes a LONG TIME to untangle them to produce stuff. This is the delay argument US has walked into.

Originally Posted by ihdihd
I know nothing about anti-trust litigation. From a strategy perspective this could be be good prep for what they see as the true expected outcome of a settlement.

Maybe the notion is that though they know they've lost the schedule battle, they might as well go out with a bang by requesting this documentation, derailing the actual trial, but setting up for a more likely settlement armed with the internal dealings of what DOJ may or may not be amenable to.

The most concerning ulterior motive though may be that with access to this information, US and AA would actually emerge out of a failed merger armed with information about the other mergers that they may not have had. Can they legally use that information in their running the business? Of course not.

But a trial is not the clean room environment of a merger as far as I can tell.
No way they get confidential information from competitors, which poses another problem on DOJ producing stuff. I can't see having a fight over very broad and not at all tailored document requests can help out US on a trial date that they just barely got, but on the condition (implied at least to me, and other lawyers here have agreed) that discovery be expedite.

And no way this helps a settlement. DOJ will just dig in, and either use this against US re the trial date, or pull in the people to review stuff re production if the judge (not the special master, they can appeal the special master's decision to Judge Kollar) gives US what it wants.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

By not targeting the requests at only those things that can be easily found and produced and over which they are likely to win, they put the special master/Kollar in a bad place to keep their trial date.

I can't see having a fight over very broad and not at all tailored document requests can help out US on a trial date that they just barely got, but on the condition (implied at least to me, and other lawyers here have agreed) that discovery be expedite.

And no way this helps a settlement. DOJ will just dig in, and either use this against US re the trial date, or pull in the people to review stuff re production if the judge (not the special master, they can appeal the special master's decision to Judge Kollar) gives US what it wants.
It doesn't make US look very good before the court and certainly, as you point out, will not help push the parties towards a settlement.

If anything, Judge Kollar will do one of two things IMO: step in and not give US what it wants (although I would guess the special master won't find in US' favor) or delay the trial start date.

US' actions appear to be somewhat in opposition to its request for an expedited trial and trial date.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
How would a potential government shutdown of a few days affect the trial? Would DOJ get an extension? Would the trial get moved from Nov 25 date?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:24 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
US filed a Rule 37 motion to compel the production of documents today, asking for all documents on the analysis and decisions of prior airline mergers.
DOJ is going to bury US in paperwork. Maybe I should grab some popcorn for this.

Originally Posted by Sant
How would a potential government shutdown of a few days affect the trial? Would DOJ get an extension? Would the trial get moved from Nov 25 date?
DOJ and the Courts do not entirely shutdown as they are essential services. Will this case be important enough to go on during a shutdown? That's anyone's guess. That being said, a government shutdown will not last til 25 Nov. The American people will not stand for it.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uxb

DOJ and the Courts do not entirely shutdown as they are essential services. Will this case be important enough to go on during a shutdown?
The head of the agency has to designate employees essential or non-essential. I have a vague recollection that in the last shutdown civil division employees were deemed non-essential.

I'm also not sure if DOJ can use its non-appropriated funds, e.g., asset forfeiture, to fund the civil division during a shutdown.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:02 pm

For someone who doesn't know too much about anti-trust law, what are the possible outcomes for the November 25 trial? Also what is the most likely outcome based on all the information and facts that we currently have?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonit
For someone who doesn't know too much about anti-trust law, what are the possible outcomes for the November 25 trial? Also what is the most likely outcome based on all the information and facts that we currently have?
The parties may settle at any time. If they don't reach a settlement, then following the trial, the judge may grant the government's request for an injunction that would prohibit the merger (US loses). Or the judge may deny the injunction (US wins).

Unless the parties settle (which would likely require massive concessions by Parker), my opinion is that the judge rules in favor of the government, and thus AA ultimately emerges from Ch 11 as an independent airline. Others will likely disagree.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Sant
Originally Posted by uxb
That being said, a government shutdown will not last til 25 Nov. The American people will not stand for it.
I may be wrong (no one can really know what these idiots in Congress are going to do), but I don't expect there to be a government shutdown. A deal won't come until the last minute, but I would expect there to be a deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.