Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Stripy
Are you suggesting that the DOJ should be ignoring the best interests of millions of consumers just to keep AA employees happy?
Ignoring the best interests of consumers in order to whore itself out to various interest groups, Big Labor included among them, is what government does.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Also, who would have known the price of oil would go up by 300% the following years after 2003?
Gary Kelly?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you suggesting that the DOJ should be ignoring the best interests of millions of consumers just to keep AA employees happy?
Well, it wouldn't be the first time the government put the interests of the few ahead of the many.

Originally Posted by Herb687
Ignoring the best interests of consumers in order to whore itself out to various interest groups, Big Labor included among them, is what government does.
^^
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Well, it wouldn't be the first time the government put the interests of the few ahead of the many.
The unions are a main reason AA agreed to merge. AA wanted to go it alone. Now your're saying the DOJ is trying to keep AA employees happy by suing to block the merger they helped cause?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:21 pm

The damage of consolidation has already been done, the DOJ is finally catching up and US/AA are now taking the hit and potentially the fall.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by halls120
And yet here we have a situation where the opposite seems to be true....
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:34 pm
ts3

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, BAEC, SPG, UA, AF
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I'm surprised people think this is just a bump in the road or an effort to get concessions.

In all likelihood, the end result is that, for now, the merger is off.

I was really excited about the network synergies, but I'm glad I probably don't have to worry about US Airways' management and service culture invading AA.

And, on the plus side for US, they don't have to worry about how to train their FA's to do currently unfamiliar tasks, like serving meals and operating IFE.
+1 ^
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
From http://www.flyertalk.com/story/ameri...of-merger.html, quoting the conference call:

In the U.S. only a judge can stop a merger, said Rich Parker, the attorney representing US Airways. Its only happened once in the last eight years. So for the lawyers out there: DOJ choice to file a civil case rather than an injunction, comment mean anything?

Calling it a kitchen-sink complaint, Sims insists that the 56-page complaint filed by the Justice Department does not present an accurate or compelling picture of the outlook of the merger. If they want to convince the court that the sky is falling, they will need to show that there is more meat.
Although not a lawyer, it does indeed appear that some of the comments are FAR from reality.

While I don't like the idea of a $40 fee to redeem awards, when did the DOJ get in the business of deciding the appropriateness of airline fees; why not NK's fees for carry on baggage? WN's refusal to offer same day standbys?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Banking has been made more accessible to the general public, but likely to serve the purpose of monitoring financial txns of Americans...
(Only domestic banking-many US branches are not accessible internationally without paying fees unless you have Premier/Preferred Client status. Some branches can only be found in certain locations, too, in major cities.)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by diver858
While I don't like the idea of a $40 fee to redeem awards, when did the DOJ get in the business of deciding the appropriateness of airline fees; why not NK's fees for carry on baggage? WN's refusal to offer same day standbys?
The DOJ is not objecting to the end (award redemption fees for AA customers), but the means to achieving that end (reducing the competitiveness of the market through a merger).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by rrgg
Gary Kelly?
Their hedges are running out as well. US doesn't even have a fuel hedging program.

Also, you only named 1 out of how many carriers?

From http://www.flyertalk.com/story/ameri...of-merger.html, quoting the conference call:

In the U.S. only a judge can stop a merger, said Rich Parker, the attorney representing US Airways. Its only happened once in the last eight years. So for the lawyers out there: DOJ choice to file a civil case rather than an injunction, comment mean anything?

Calling it a kitchen-sink complaint, Sims insists that the 56-page complaint filed by the Justice Department does not present an accurate or compelling picture of the outlook of the merger. If they want to convince the court that the sky is falling, they will need to show that there is more meat.
Although not a lawyer, it does indeed appear that some of the comments are FAR from reality.

These were only part of the complaints. There are a lot of other items the DOJ has bentioned (such as the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index, etc.).

All-in-all, I don't see how Parker & Co. will be able to squirm their way out of this one.

Also, if Parker & Co. are going to be "the godsend for AA", how come Parker & Co. have been rejected twice already?

Personally, I would like to see the DOJ prevail. ^
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Standard request for relief for violations of the Clayton Act is an injunction which enjoins the entities from merging/consolidating.

What the counsel for the airlines said was that DOJ filed the suit to request that the judge enjoin the airlines from carrying out their merger. This is done through the issuance of an injunction. The judge is the only one who can issue that injunction. The merger counsel were seeking to dispel the idea that the DOJ stopped the merger. They did not; but what they did was set the process in motion for the merger to be stopped by the judiciary.

We'll have to wait for the merits of the case to be brought to air - but some of the emails dug up do not paint US in a favorable light (in terms of being consumer friendly). Emailing the CEO of a competing airline regarding pricing (as D. Parker appears to have done) may have been downright illegal.

Anyhow....

Say hello to the seals down at the Children's pool.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
From the AA/US defense:
Blocking this procompetitive merger will deny customers access to a broader airline network that gives them more choices.
Please excuse me while I take the next ten minutes to laugh my ... off. 'Procompetitive'? Really?

Please tell me you have a stronger defense than this, and the tired old 'more consumer choice' line, when consumers already have the choice of an entire AA and US network which will likely be cut upon merger completion.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
From the AA/US defense:

Please excuse me while I take the next ten minutes to laugh my ... off. 'Procompetitive'? Really?

Please tell me you have a stronger defense than this, and the tired old 'more consumer choice' line, when consumers already have the choice of an entire AA and US network which will likely be cut upon merger completion.
And, they can tell me about their expanding network in Asia, where it is most needed...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DOJ is not in the business of deciding the appropriateness of airline fees (that should be the DOT, but they're slow and behind).

The DOJ is in the business to decide whether the merger is in violation of specific laws that allow the functioning of a free market. Coordinated fee increases is an index of industry collusion; the ability of merger partners to raise $280m/year in fees they could not before the merger is an index of increase in market power. Both indicate a market that is no longer free, but increasingly oligopolistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.