Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Hope who does what?

If you're hoping that DOJ doesn't approve the merger, that's just not going to happen. At best, they give back a few gates in DC.
What about the US Airways shareholders?

I assume this group is a rubber stamp for the merger?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
What about the US Airways shareholders?

I assume this group is a rubber stamp for the merger?
That's handled by the board and they approved the merger so no hold up there.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by grahampros
That's handled by the board and they approved the merger so no hold up there.
What percentage of US shares are in public hands?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:05 am

The deal is subject to approval by US shareholders. Almost all shares are in public hands (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=LCC+Major+Holders). In theory they could vote against the deal, but I haven't seen any indication of shareholder opposition.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

American Airlines and US Airways expect to announce the senior executives of their combined company within a few weeks.

CEOs of the airlines said Monday that an announcement could be coming in late May or early June.

[...]

In a message to employees of both airlines Monday, the CEOs said that executives reporting directly to Parker will be named by early June with the rest of officers to follow.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/leader...011019592.html
Old May 7, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by richarddd
The deal is subject to approval by US shareholders. Almost all shares are in public hands (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=LCC+Major+Holders). In theory they could vote against the deal, but I haven't seen any indication of shareholder opposition.
LCC on its own is one recession away from BK, investors are DROOLING over AMR's pile of cash, post-BK balance sheet. I seem to recall reading that many of the larger, institutional investors in LCC also bought up a fair amount of AMR debt, which helped push through the merger deal.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:47 am

Location: Primary: Its largest airport was named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle., Secondary: 88NV via RNO
Programs: Hilton Diamond*, UA ex-2P, Chase
Originally Posted by Esteve2
As a decade long 1k and 2m miler on United I can only say: American... Here's your best chance. Come and get us. I've never seen so many discontented, disappointed and angry 1k's! We're ripe for the taking. I can't speak for the Continental folks but, wow, has the new United ever stuck it to us. The Mileage Plus program is rife with errors and omissions and if you call they act like you are trying to cheat them. Upgrades have gone away as they are glad to put me in a middle back seat if they can squeeze 75 bucks from someone. In sum, the new United has dumped us and they don't mind rubbing it in. They may get their 75 bucks but I have lost any consideration of loyalty, as have they. They may have their 75 bucks but I bought the last $1250 ticket on Delta, where I am a million miler and Silver for life. No different than being a 1k on United. So, marketing people.... Here's your chance.
Ditto the silvers. After five years of scraping together to "2P" at UA and seeing that devalued, I've become a free agent. My last four flights were 2 US (ORD-CLT), 1 VX (ORD-LAX), and mile burn on UA/US (ORD-SFO).
Next is on AA (ORD-AUS).
Old May 8, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KPChicago
Ditto the silvers. After five years of scraping together to "2P" at UA and seeing that devalued, I've become a free agent. My last four flights were 2 US (ORD-CLT), 1 VX (ORD-LAX), and mile burn on UA/US (ORD-SFO).
Next is on AA (ORD-AUS).
May as well not concentrate on earning miles with so little flying.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I hope that they do so that this doesn't press forward.
It's time for the "I hope the merger falls thru" crowd to give it up. It's a certainty at this point. There are minor things left to change/adjust like gate give concessions but it's something that crowd (I am apart of that crowd myself) has to deal with and move on.

While I personally don't care for it, It's time to move forward and see what happens. It's not like AA is the only airline left to fly if things go south. We can hope, using Parkers' comments as some indication, that they saw what happened with the UA merger and will avoid those mistakes.

In addition, I think the "I hate the new livery" Crowd needs to give it up as well. Based on the new planes showing up with it and the rumored information that US planes were being painted with it, I think that ship has sailed.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I hope that they do so that this doesn't press forward.
I'm not a fan of this merger either, but it's a done deal unless the DOJ blocks the merger which is unlikely.

Parker is saying the right things, but as we all saw in previous mergers, there is a difference between what the management promises and what actually happens. I'm guessing this merger will be similar to the US Airways/America West merger. But only time will tell.

I'm staying with AA for now, but depending on how far AA falls, I may consider switching airlines.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fieldeng
In addition, I think the "I hate the new livery" Crowd needs to give it up as well. Based on the new planes showing up with it and the rumored information that US planes were being painted with it, I think that ship has sailed.
The merger will happen. No question about that. It's a done deal waiting for some government-mandated slot/route divestitures. Antitrust authorities have to do something to give the appearance that they're protecting consumers, but the merger will happen.

The new livery? I wouldn't bet serious money on Horton's choice remaining. When it debuted, articles in the media said that paint to the customer's spec is included in the contract purchase price of new planes - and those 500+ new planes on the way will represent at least half of the painting. Parker estimated the integration costs of this merger at perhaps $1.2 billion. Re-painting a few dozen planes at $100k a pop isn't going to deter Parker from choosing a new livery if he's not enamoured with Horton's choice.

Rumours that US is painting its planes in Horton's livery? I'm skeptical. Link?
Old May 9, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The merger will happen. No question about that. It's a done deal waiting for some government-mandated slot/route divestitures. Antitrust authorities have to do something to give the appearance that they're protecting consumers, but the merger will happen.

The new livery? I wouldn't bet serious money on Horton's choice remaining. When it debuted, articles in the media said that paint to the customer's spec is included in the contract purchase price of new planes - and those 500+ new planes on the way will represent at least half of the painting. Parker estimated the integration costs of this merger at perhaps $1.2 billion. Re-painting a few dozen planes at $100k a pop isn't going to deter Parker from choosing a new livery if he's not enamoured with Horton's choice.

Rumours that US is painting its planes in Horton's livery? I'm skeptical. Link?
Horton's livery? You make it sound like he sketched it on a cocktail napkin one night after having a few too many. Based on the on board promos, AMR spent BIG BUCKS on rebranding, involving internal and external talent, new logos and livery are just one part of that effort. I could see some tweaking the tail design a bit as a part of the merger, but not much else.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by diver858
Horton's livery? You make it sound like he sketched it on a cocktail napkin one night after having a few too many. Based on the on board promos, AMR spent BIG BUCKS on rebranding, involving internal and external talent, new logos and livery are just one part of that effort. I could see some tweaking the tail design a bit as a part of the merger, but not much else.
I think it is fair to call it 'Horton's Livery'. It is part of the legacy of his period of leadership.

And, I don't really like the tail either...
Old May 9, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
I neither said nor implied anything of the kind. When the new livery was unveiled, Horton revealed in an interview (posted and linked in the mega-thread about the new livery) that he alone chose between two competing proposals over a weekend. As a result, he owns the decision. It's Horton's livery.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:07 pm

I don't spend too much time in the AA forum, this has probably already been posted:

Why American Airlines Employees Loathe Management

http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardf...he-management/

All past history (some is recent past), consolidated in a fairly damning way...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.