Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by RonanH
Hello,

I am pretty new to the AAdvantage program. This feels like its a pretty basic question but I seem to be having trouble finding this in the FAQs

I am purchasing a ticket to Alberta, Calgary from Vegas and on AA's website it states "operated by WestJet". When I go to Expedia or Kayak, the same flight is pulled up as directly from Westjet and is about $50 cheaper each ticket. My question is if I purchase the cheaper ticket directly from Westjet's website or through Expedia, would I still earn AAdvantage miles or would they just be the Westjet reward points? Or would I be better off purchasing the the Choice fare from AA.com directly for $50 more (depending on how many miles I would earn of course).

Thanks in advance Flyertalk
You can earn AA miles from flights marketed and operated by WestJet, but you will not earn any elite-qualifying miles/points/segments. Flights booked with an AA code earn as if they were an AA flight (full EQM, elite bonus RDM, etc.)

Edit: Make sure to check that the fare is eligible to earn miles, as per the post above mine.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dragonman
As a Qantas frequent flyer I have until now posted all my travel to Qantas until now and I am OneWorld Emerald as a result.

From November on I will post all flights to AA. I have a OneWorld Explorer in business class (a DONE5) booked. The itinerary is JNB-LHR-CAI-LHR-LAS-MIA-JFK-DFW-SEA-DFW-LAX-SYD-NRT-DEL-NRT-HKG-JNB.

My question is really how close will i come to Plat or even Exec Plat with AA?

If anyone has the time to calculate this for me or point me to a simple explanation as to how to do this myself I would be very grateful. I have read the sticky and get totally lost.

Thanks in advance.
You can figure this out on your own.

Use Great Circle Mapper and enter this route just as you typed it and you'll have the miles close enough.

You can read AA.com and figure out what the elite qualifying points (not miles) will accumulate since flying in D you will get more points than miles. Obviously you will have the miles as well but an all D itinerary on all OW will earn elite levels faster than miles will simply because you'll get more than one point per mile.

Multiply the total miles by the EQP factor and you will have the total points, and you can see how that looks vis-a-vis 50,000 or 100,000.

Teach a man to fish with the above.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:24 pm

Trying to rebook some friends from JL to AA since there seemed to be some concern regarding getting transit visa @ NRT-HND. I can book them on AA PVG->LAX J class awards but I am wondering if the seats are flat on AA0182 like those on CX. Any photo references? Also any lounge they can access@ PVG? Thanks.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Kimpton Inner Circle, Starwood Gold, Global Entry, Precheck
Maxmimize AA Metal for APAC trip

I'm planning a trip from Dallas to Singapore in June and then on to Sydney and then back home to Dallas.

Can any experts provide tips on ways to maximize my AA metal flying time so I can utilize my EXP SWUs? Also, any things I need to be aware of when booking codeshare flights to make sure I get full mileage credit?

Thanks for the help!
Old May 28, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: AMEX, WN, AA, DL, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
The key with earning AA miles on Westjet is to check the fare code. You should earn miles regardless of where you book (if you give Westjet your AA number), but only some fares qualify. Sometimes cheaper tickets are not in an earning fare code. You'll need to book in Y, V, B, Q, L, M, P, G, X, or D. More info on the thread below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
You can earn AA miles from flights marketed and operated by WestJet, but you will not earn any elite-qualifying miles/points/segments. Flights booked with an AA code earn as if they were an AA flight (full EQM, elite bonus RDM, etc.)

Edit: Make sure to check that the fare is eligible to earn miles, as per the post above mine.

Thank you both! I should have also searched for threads as well, this clears up my question.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: star alliance
Actually August is "Low" High season...

Originally Posted by radavis
Because of the sale I was looking into Business/First fares for Rome in late August, however, I am not that interested in going to Rome in August. Does AA have a history of offering similar sales for November? As it is right now, my wife and I can fly First in August for much less than Business in November. One is in the busy season and the other in low season. What gives? Thanks.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. While technically August is in the High season, tourist numbers decrease some because of the heat in Italy in late summer. To give a bump to those tourist numbers, several airlines lower their fares. This occurs every Summer. Have a good time in Italy.
Old May 29, 2013, 3:17 am

Urgent AA Promo Question

Hello Everyone!

I had a promo code for AA that wasn't suppose to expire until Jan. 2014. I went to use it on Monday and I got a message saying invalid, so I contacted AA Customer Service to see what the issue is with the code and I get a reply telling me they cancelled it.

My questions are 1. Can they do that and 2. Should I ask them why or should I just leave it be. I really need that code to get back home.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:01 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You've left out a big item: how did you acquire this code and what was it for? Was it a single use discount code that AA gave you directly? A conference or event code found on the internet?
Old May 29, 2013, 5:07 am

Honestly I can't remember where I got it from, but the rules for the code is still on their site. Well it was when I emailed them. They might have taking it down. lol
Old May 29, 2013, 5:13 am

This is the link to that particular code.

https://www.aa.com/reservation/viewD...QAroNKzQ%3D%3D
Old May 29, 2013, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Domita Wade
This is the link to that particular code.

https://www.aa.com/reservation/viewD...QAroNKzQ%3D%3D
This looks like the rules for 1313SS. That was a very generous code (10%, huge date range, and many airports) which AA was forced to cancel a few months ago, due to widespread dissemination on the web way beyond the original target audience (whatever that was). At the same time, they also took steps to prevent codes from spreading, including having the thread here listing codes removed.

If you did get the code (1313SS or a different one) from the original source, for example, by attending a conference or event or having membership in an organization, then I'd contact the organization and ask them if they can investigate with AA and obtain a valid code. But if you found it on the web somewhere, then you're likely out of luck.

(Edit to add- Mods, I assume/hope it's ok to post the code here, since it's no longer valid)
Old May 29, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Gold
Hey Everyone-

Based on the travel I have planned for the remainder of the year, I will be about 290 points short on my Gold qualification. I know I have plenty of time to ensure that I obtain those EQP's, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a cheap MR from any of the WAS airports? I can easily fly out of BWI, DCA, IAD. Thanks for your help!
Old May 29, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Biffs25
Hey Everyone-

Based on the travel I have planned for the remainder of the year, I will be about 290 points short on my Gold qualification. I know I have plenty of time to ensure that I obtain those EQP's, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a cheap MR from any of the WAS airports? I can easily fly out of BWI, DCA, IAD. Thanks for your help!
While it's fine to post here, you'd have much better luck browsing the Mileage Run Deals forum, or posting in the MR Discussion forum for help finding a MR.

That said, you're so close. Are you requalifying for status (you already have status)? If so, you could essentially fly anywhere and back and you'd get 500EQP (something like DCA-JFK). If not, plug in a bunch of destinations in ITA Matrix from BWI, DCA, IAD that are at least 290 miles away. ORD might be a good bet (high frequency, high competition, etc)
Old May 29, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Biffs25
Hey Everyone-

That close, instead of a mileage run, see if you can just add a leg to a trip you're already planning. Instead of DCA-ORD, fly DCA-DFW-ORD, for example.
Old May 29, 2013, 1:38 pm

Is anyone else having trouble viewing their reservations online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.