Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by CX828
I am thinking of flying AA101 Arriving JFK at 13:10 connecting to AA3409 at 15:00. This is a legal connection and AA is selling it online, but as a non US passport holder with bags, is this connection time way too much of a risk? Particularly with the cuts in immigration staff and increased wait times I am worried I will miss my connecting flight.

I would really appreciate advice on this, but I wonder if it will be a very stressy connection and not worth it.

(Btw if I did miss the flight, AA would be responsible for putting me on the next available flight, right?
A 1:50 connection doesn't leave a lot of extra time if things were to be backed up, but it's definitely doable. If you were to miss it, AA will put you on the next available flight to YYZ, which looks like it leaves around 8pm.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT. It's no problem for your dad to upgrade you with his miles. You need to give your dad your record locator # and have him call AA. The upgrades will be 15k miles + $75 each way, and you need the appropriate upgrade inventory, which usually isn't hard to find to the Caribbean.

Thanks a lot. That's good info.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
A 1:50 connection doesn't leave a lot of extra time if things were to be backed up, but it's definitely doable. If you were to miss it, AA will put you on the next available flight to YYZ, which looks like it leaves around 8pm.
OK thanks for that. I think it is a pretty risky connection, especially as my originating flight leaves LHR, which will likely have at least a 30min departure delay.

I was actually thinking of doing the long connection (connecting to 8pm flight) but thought I should book this flight in the hopes that I could try to make it, and if not just go on the next flight.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:07 am

Two triple-point promos (first cabin, or double-point in main) available between sandiego-miami and chicago-portland. I live near LAX. Doing both legs in same trip I think would be auto Silver status. If I could pull off such a ticket, at what price is it worth it? Plugging in I see 2500 main cabin, 3500 first. Should this even be bothered with at all?
Old May 24, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by PinnacleJew
Two triple-point promos (first cabin, or double-point in main) available between sandiego-miami and chicago-portland. I live near LAX. Doing both legs in same trip I think would be auto Silver status. If I could pull off such a ticket, at what price is it worth it? Plugging in I see 2500 main cabin, 3500 first. Should this even be bothered with at all?
There's no silver status on AA. Do you mean Gold? And what triple-point promo are you talking about? Are you referring to bonus miles? or EQP?
Old May 24, 2013, 6:44 pm

Yes, I meant Gold. My error. I guess since this is the newbie lounge I'm in the right thread. :-)

Looking at the promo again I don't see the word 'qualifying' so I guess not. :-( But it was a flight deal on the aa website.

But I'm sure AA does do double-elite qualifying segments/flights occasionally. Where are those typically posted/found?
Old May 24, 2013, 7:35 pm

Yes, I meant Gold. My error. I guess since this is the newbie lounge I'm in the right thread. :-)

Looking at the promo again I don't see the word 'qualifying' so I guess not. :-( But it was a flight deal on the aa website.

But I'm sure AA does do double-elite qualifying segments/flights occasionally. Where are those typically posted/found?
No problem. You are in the right thread. When AA does those double EQM promos, you'll know about it because FT will be buzzing with activity and reports on who/how/when/where folks get their credit.

They've had some double EQM promo every year for the last few years, but as always, it's uncertain whether they'll continue. We'll all just have to wait and see.
Old May 25, 2013, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

They would be listed on the same page as the other mileage bonus offers: https://www.aa.com/AAdvantage/viewAirlineSpecials.do
Old May 26, 2013, 2:34 pm

I have an urgent Question!

As OW Sapphire do I get any additional baggage allowance when travelling Y to Europe?
Old May 26, 2013, 4:46 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CX828
I have an urgent Question!

As OW Sapphire do I get any additional baggage allowance when travelling Y to Europe?
As oneworld Sapphire, you and those flying on the same reservation as you will have an allowance of 2 checked bags (up to 50 lbs each) per person.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...eAllowance.jsp
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/baggageExceptions.jsp

(Fees for third bag and overweight bags up to 70 lbs are only waived for business class passengers, first class passengers, and oneworld Emerald members.)
Old May 26, 2013, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
As oneworld Sapphire, you and those flying on the same reservation as you will have an allowance of 2 checked bags (up to 50 lbs each) per person.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...eAllowance.jsp
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/baggageExceptions.jsp

(Fees for third bag and overweight bags up to 70 lbs are only waived for business class passengers, first class passengers, and oneworld Emerald members.)
Thank you very much for this useful info. I had tried finding it on aa.com but couldn't see it, so thank you.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: qantas platinum (OWE), hyatt platinum, hertz gold
I need some help.

As a Qantas frequent flyer I have until now posted all my travel to Qantas until now and I am OneWorld Emerald as a result.

From November on I will post all flights to AA. I have a OneWorld Explorer in business class (a DONE5) booked. The itinerary is JNB-LHR-CAI-LHR-LAS-MIA-JFK-DFW-SEA-DFW-LAX-SYD-NRT-DEL-NRT-HKG-JNB.

My question is really how close will i come to Plat or even Exec Plat with AA?

If anyone has the time to calculate this for me or point me to a simple explanation as to how to do this myself I would be very grateful. I have read the sticky and get totally lost.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
There is an app available for apple iPhones called 'flyerCalc' for a pittance in cost, that
Will fulfill your request. One can also google it if one does not possess the iPhone.
It allows for input of airline,status and fare code to/from to calculate miles earned.

"If anyone has the time to calculate this for me or point me to a simple explanation as to how to do this myself I would be very grateful. I have read the sticky and get totally lost."
Old May 27, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AMEX, WN, AA, DL, Hilton, Marriott
Hello,

I am pretty new to the AAdvantage program. This feels like its a pretty basic question but I seem to be having trouble finding this in the FAQs

I am purchasing a ticket to Alberta, Calgary from Vegas and on AA's website it states "operated by WestJet". When I go to Expedia or Kayak, the same flight is pulled up as directly from Westjet and is about $50 cheaper each ticket. My question is if I purchase the cheaper ticket directly from Westjet's website or through Expedia, would I still earn AAdvantage miles or would they just be the Westjet reward points? Or would I be better off purchasing the the Choice fare from AA.com directly for $50 more (depending on how many miles I would earn of course).

Thanks in advance Flyertalk
Old May 27, 2013, 4:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by RonanH
Hello,

I am pretty new to the AAdvantage program. This feels like its a pretty basic question but I seem to be having trouble finding this in the FAQs

I am purchasing a ticket to Alberta, Calgary from Vegas and on AA's website it states "operated by WestJet". When I go to Expedia or Kayak, the same flight is pulled up as directly from Westjet and is about $50 cheaper each ticket. My question is if I purchase the cheaper ticket directly from Westjet's website or through Expedia, would I still earn AAdvantage miles or would they just be the Westjet reward points? Or would I be better off purchasing the the Choice fare from AA.com directly for $50 more (depending on how many miles I would earn of course).

Thanks in advance Flyertalk
The key with earning AA miles on Westjet is to check the fare code. You should earn miles regardless of where you book (if you give Westjet your AA number), but only some fares qualify. Sometimes cheaper tickets are not in an earning fare code. You'll need to book in Y, V, B, Q, L, M, P, G, X, or D. More info on the thread below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.