Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Date: April 26 2013
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: Various coach fares
What happened: AA blew up my itinerary, got me cancelled on BA138 BOM-LHR, couldn't fix it. (And previous contact for which I had declined compenstation) Link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ery-flyer.html
Compensation: 40,000 miles

Last edited by sinanju; May 1, 2013 at 4:17 pm
Old May 1, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot Silver, Hertz #1Gold
Date: April 13 2013
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: Cheap fare to C via eVIP
What happened: LAX-NRT (777), IFE was nonfunctional.
Compensation: 6,000 miles
Old May 1, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Reasonable to expect/ask for compensation?

Me: EXP

Plan: April 30, 8:10 pm scheduled EYW - MIA on Eagle connecting to 10:05 pm MIA - ORD.

Checked a few websites when first EYW-MIA delay was posted (around 7 pm) and storms had passed through MIA around noon and were gone by ~2:30 pm. Weather from then on was perfect. At 7 pm FAA site showed no MIA delays, FlightAware indicated about 20% flights "severely delayed". Inbound eagle MIA-EYW delayed several times, GA said gates were filled at MIA. Eventually made it to MIA at 10:00 and five us bolted for D1 to find doors closed and MIA-ORD pushing back (kinda pisses me off since they knew we were in the building and on the way).

At EYW I had EXP desk protect me on next flight MIA-ORD which was 1:40 pm flight the next day. They also said don't bother waiting in line looking for hotel voucher, just send the bill into Customer Service. Spent the night at the Marriott

Guess my question is, what's a reasonable course of action in this case? Anyone ever send in a hotel bill as the EXP desk suggested?
Old May 9, 2013, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I was wondering if AAdvantage had changed from giving miles to vouchers, but I guess it depends on the problem.

Last month, my partner and I were headed to ITO, via DFW and HNL. The flight from DFW was delayed a couple of hours and we missed our connection, the last of the night, a codeshare flight on HA. Strangely, when we arrived in HNL, they had arranged a flight for the next a.m. and hotel and breakfast partners for my partner (platinum), but not me (EXP). We finally got all that straightened out and had no further issues, except, as a good little soldier, I waited for two weeks to see if the final leg's miles would post. They never did (probably because the HA flight was not codeshare), so I filled out the form and noted in the comments that we had forfeited a pre-paid hotel night on the Big Island. A couple of days later, the mileage was credited and they said they were forwarding the missed hotel issue concern to another department.

Imagine my surprise when my partner received a $350 eVoucher and I (who had filled out the form and am the EXP), heard nothing. A couple days later, I filled out the form again and asked why. Today, I received a $350 voucher, as well. I thought I might get a little more as I had to complain twice and was dissed, but beggars can't be choosers.
Old May 9, 2013, 3:29 pm

On the same trip as I described above, but on the trip home last week, on a leg from HNL to LAX, I was in First Class. Dinner was served and when it arrived, the black linen that they use to put on the tray as a table cloth had several grease stains and what looked like congealed food - pretty unappetizing. I was traveling alone, but the person sitting next to me, had the same stains on her linen. I took pictures and have offered to send them to customer service, as the complaint form doesn't allow for attachments. I sent the pics to a couple of AAdvantage members who are FTers and asked what they thought. One said, "OMG, disgusting." The other said, "I would have thrown up." I'm still waiting to hear from them (other than the standard automated response). Thoughts?
Old May 11, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I was wondering if AAdvantage had changed from giving miles to vouchers, but I guess it depends on the problem.

Last month, my partner and I were headed to ITO, via DFW and HNL. The flight from DFW was delayed a couple of hours and we missed our connection, the last of the night, a codeshare flight on HA. Strangely, when we arrived in HNL, they had arranged a flight for the next a.m. and hotel and breakfast partners for my partner (platinum), but not me (EXP). We finally got all that straightened out and had no further issues, except, as a good little soldier, I waited for two weeks to see if the final leg's miles would post. They never did (probably because the HA flight was not codeshare), so I filled out the form and noted in the comments that we had forfeited a pre-paid hotel night on the Big Island. A couple of days later, the mileage was credited and they said they were forwarding the missed hotel issue concern to another department.

Imagine my surprise when my partner received a $350 eVoucher and I (who had filled out the form and am the EXP), heard nothing. A couple days later, I filled out the form again and asked why. Today, I received a $350 voucher, as well. I thought I might get a little more as I had to complain twice and was dissed, but beggars can't be choosers.
I travel with a team and we all have the same status, booking codes, etc. It never fails that we all receive different compensation after an issue occurs.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jadam
I travel with a team and we all have the same status, booking codes, etc. It never fails that we all receive different compensation after an issue occurs.
Different compensation would have been one thing. No compensation for the person who actually did all the "work" would be quite another.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:45 am

Request composition for arriving the destination 24 hrs late +?

We (my wife & I) had award biz class flt (30k each) from UIO to LGA layover in MIA on 5/15. 1st leg delayed by 10.5 hrs (8:45 am to 7:15 pm, not caused by the weather), consequently the 2nd leg had to be on 5/16 after a night accommodation in MIA DoubleTree (checked in 3 am on 5/16). We selected 3:45 pm MIA to LGA flt which was the same flt as the original which arrived in LGA @ 7 pm on 5/16. We took this flt to get enough rest in MIA. But this flt had only 1 F seat so my wife took it & I took Y seat. None of the MIA – LGA flts before 3:45 pm had 2 F seats available.

Few points of complaint other than 24 hrs delay & 1 down-grade seat:
1. Rebooking in UIO took over 3 hrs in queue by 1 gate agent (should be more);
2. lunch on 5/15 was provided by Quito Hilton which was 1.5 hr bus ride o/w (should be closer to the a/p);
3. after the immigration & custom @ MIA, we waited over 1 hr for DoubleTree shuttle bus (should provide more than 1 shuttle bus).
4. there were 3 F seats available which were taken by a mother & 2 kids after flt was started (my wife told me). I did ask about F availability upon check in but was told NO, I didn’t ask @ the gate, I was in AC till the boarding started.

What should be the fair composition & the best way to claim it?
Old May 17, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Are you talking about compensation perhaps?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-13.html

Also, reach out to AA and explain to them what happened. Keep it short, to the point and avoid dramatization.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody at AA will care about how far away the lunch hotel was from the airport or how long you waited for bus rides. Keep it short and to the point, something like this:

Because our flight from UIO to MIA was delayed by x number of hours not caused by weather, our arrival in NYC was delayed by 24 hours and we'd like y number of miles as compensation.
If a few thousand AAdvantage miles isn't the type of compensation you're expecting, then don't even waste your time complaining to AA, as AA ain't gonna pay you any money for the delay - as there's no legal obligation that AA cough up any cash. Your travel was delayed. Your finally arrived safely. AA let you down. And legally, AA owes you nothing for that disappointment.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
This is a small station, there may not have been anybody to call. About all AA can do is call DoubleTree and tell them "we have a delay, we're routing 20 or 30 or whatever pax your way". DoubleTree may or may not have another bus, may or may not have a properly licensed driver, etc. - that would have to be addressed to them.

As for AA? They got you to your destination, provided meals and a hotel during the delay. I think about all you are entitled to is the diff between Y and J on the OW award.

Now as to what you are 'entitled' to, that's up to you.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PLT
THey should give you a refund in miles for the downgrade, but that is probably all you are going to get. I have had similar experiences. It happens. If you explain your case nicely, you might also get an apology and a few more miles for the inconvenience. I would leave out the part about the hotels though as they have no control over this, and if they were covering the bill for this part, you are lucky.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RachelG
Tand if they were covering the bill for this part, you are lucky.
That's not correct. In the case of a mechanical failure (the OP indicated that this was not weather-related), there is no "luck" involved in having AA cover overnight expenses.

Cheers.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
In 2004 I was stranded in UIO overnight by nominally weather related delays/cancellations and also had to overnight in MIA. AA arranged both hotels and proactively deposited a fair chunk of miles (30k?) in my account, this was before I had any status.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:57 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by kiyotaka
We (my wife & I) had award biz class flt (30k each) from UIO to LGA layover in MIA on 5/15. 1st leg delayed by 10.5 hrs (8:45 am to 7:15 pm, not caused by the weather), consequently the 2nd leg had to be on 5/16 after a night accommodation in MIA DoubleTree (checked in 3 am on 5/16). We selected 3:45 pm MIA to LGA flt which was the same flt as the original which arrived in LGA @ 7 pm on 5/16. We took this flt to get enough rest in MIA. But this flt had only 1 F seat so my wife took it & I took Y seat. None of the MIA – LGA flts before 3:45 pm had 2 F seats available.
This thread has now been merged into the existing compensation thread for the benefit of those who may find themselves in similar situations in the future. Thanks for your understanding.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.