Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA's first 77W spotted at Paine Field; new livery speculation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Given the recent emphasis styling the airline as America's flag carrier, including the (in my view somewhat excessive at times) focus on our servicemen, I have a hunch that there will be some elements reflecting that.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
Google "white paint cool" and you will find a lot of material, mainly from the perspective of tacking global warming.

I recall reading that certain people at AA were concerned about this issue decades ago (when AA was still using their orange lightning bolt livery), so they conducted temperature testing on various painted fuselage samples and even tested a white livery on a piston plane (a DC-6 perhaps?), but C.R. Smith steadfastly refused to adopt a white livery for the fleet.
Just to set the record straight, white paint may reflect more light/heat than other paint colors, but there's no way it reflects better than polished aluminum.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by havoc29
Just to set the record straight, white paint may reflect more light/heat than other paint colors, but there's no way it reflects better than polished aluminum.
A little googling turned up these articles:

http://www.connectsavannah.com/news/article/102118/
http://rack1.ul.cs.cmu.edu/hotcars/

Both indicate that shiny metal will get hotter than white-painted metal under sunlight, which matches my memories of having a car with shiny metal seatbelt buckles during the summer in Florida (ouch!)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I don't see AA dropping red altogether, especially if we're discussing things like flag carrier, tribute to armed forces, etc. Maybe the billboard version above with one red A on the tail?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by joejones
A little googling turned up these articles:

http://www.connectsavannah.com/news/article/102118/
http://rack1.ul.cs.cmu.edu/hotcars/

Both indicate that shiny metal will get hotter than white-painted metal under sunlight, which matches my memories of having a car with shiny metal seatbelt buckles during the summer in Florida (ouch!)
Perhaps it makes more sense to consider that hot bare metal _feels_ much hotter than hot painted metal, because the thermal conductivity of metal is much higher than that of paint, thus allowing more of the heat stored in the metal to transfer to your skin. This is the same reason that a hot pan from your oven burns you, while a hot muffin or bread loaf at the same temperature does not, if you juggle it.

Both of your links make the argument that metal surfaces get hotter in the sun because of lower blackbody radiation emittance. But isn't it true that heat transfer from a hot surface in air is totally dominated by convection, not radiation? So although nonzero, the radiative transfer difference should be a very tiny effect, I think. This is why, for example, double paned windows are such an important part of insulating your house: they eliminate convective heat transfer while leaving the radiative transfer essentially unchanged.

Incidentally, according to the intergoogle, the albedo of "white paint" is "0.5-0.9", while the albedo of bare polished aluminum is "almost exactly 1.0"...

Just the musings of an experimental physicist too lazy to do the actual calculations,
saunders111
Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by saunders111
Perhaps it makes more sense to consider that hot bare metal _feels_ much hotter than hot painted metal, because the thermal conductivity of metal is much higher than that of paint, thus allowing more of the heat stored in the metal to transfer to your skin.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by saunders111
This is the same reason that a hot pan from your oven burns you, while a hot muffin or bread loaf at the same temperature does not, if you juggle it.
The hot pan burns you because you hold it. If you juggle the pan as you do the muffin, it won't feel nearly as hot and you're much less likely to be burned (but more likely to have muffins on the floor). Note also that an aluminum pan loses its heat much more quickly than one made of steel.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
Very clear HD pic of N717AN. the gray seems to be matte

As of Nov 23

Never mind, on a closer look it's glossy.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, SW
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Why would AA be forced to paint the new planes? I would find it a pity. I like the look and it really makes them "stand out of the crowd".
The new Airbusses and the 789 on order all have either significant carbon fiber pieces or are constructed entirely of carbon fiber which has to be painted. Combined with the exit from bankruptcy makes this a perfect time to introduce a new painted livery.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 26, 2012 at 9:19 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OSUPoke2007
The new Airbusses and the 789 on order all have either significant carbon fiber pieces or are constructed entirely of carbon fiber which has to be painted. Combined with the exit from bankruptcy makes this a perfect time to introduce a new painted livery.
To clarify: the new Airbus A321s and A319s have roughly the same carbon fibre pieces as today's 738s and could be shiny, except for the battleship gray parts. The 787-9s, as you point out, have an exterior of carbon fibre that isn't shiny aluminum and requires a coating. And I agree completely that if you're going to change the livery, now is probably the time to do it.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by OSUPoke2007
The new Airbusses and the 789 on order all have either significant carbon fiber pieces or are constructed entirely of carbon fiber which has to be painted.
Flew on a fairly new plane painted in cool retro "Astrojet" livery yesterday, and during boarding was chatting with the pilot, who mentioned that Airbus used, in his words, poorer-quality aluminum that couldn't be polished. He said that the old A300s that AA flew had to be painted for the same reason. He also said that AA had temporarily painted a few planes in different livery so higher-ups could see see how they looked.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Now that the A300 has been mentioned, the paint on that 77W kind of reminds me of how the tailcone area was painted on the polished A300s.

https://www.google.com/search?q=american+a300&tbm=isch
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by anabolism
during boarding was chatting with the pilot, who mentioned that Airbus used, in his words, poorer-quality aluminum that couldn't be polished. He said that the old A300s that AA flew had to be painted for the same reason. He also said that AA had temporarily painted a few planes in different livery so higher-ups could see see how they looked.
A few thoughts on that... First, the A300 is a decades-old design; the A320 family has been receiving regular design updates, though probably not on the fuselage itself (that said, the A320 design itself is much newer than the A300). Second, the A300 was painted mostly because there were parts of the empennage that had to be pained and the original thought was that if part of the aircraft had to be painted the rest should too. Later in the A300's AA career only the carbon parts were painted and the fuselage was polished aluminium, and this didn't cause any problems. Third, as the A320 family has been certified in both Europe and America, and has had a very good safety record, I don't see there being any possibility that poor quality aluminium was being used... Not to mention the fact that the "quality" of the aluminium wouldn't change its ability to be polished--aluminium is an element, after all. I think your pilot would have been well advised to stick to piloting, it sounds to me like he's not much of an airframe design expert.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pineapplejet
Very clear HD pic of N717AN. the gray seems to be matte

As of Nov 23

Never mind, on a closer look it's glossy.
Airplane looks like it is ready except livery and hasn't even seen an ownership transfer to AA yet. Someone also mentioned the seats were the holdup though in addition to livery.

I am wondering if AA and Boeing are waiting for AA to exit bankruptcy before the transfer of ownership is done.

Had this been a 737-800 instead, the plane would have been already owned and in use by AA.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by adamj023
Airplane looks like it is ready except livery and hasn't even seen an ownership transfer to AA yet. Someone also mentioned the seats were the holdup though in addition to livery.

I am wondering if AA and Boeing are waiting for AA to exit bankruptcy before the transfer of ownership is done.

Had this been a 737-800 instead, the plane would have been already owned and in use by AA.
So far there was only report on N717AN doing a B1 flight. No report on C1 flight yet. usually goes B1>C1>Delivery

AA is not the owner of this plane. N717AN (this one) and N718AN (the next one) are leased from Guggenheim Aviation Partners.
N719AN (hasn't spotted yet) is leased from Avolon Aerospace
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pineapplejet
So far there was only report on N717AN doing a B1 flight. No report on C1 flight yet. usually goes B1>C1>Delivery

AA is not the owner of this plane. N717AN (this one) and N718AN (the next one) are leased from Guggenheim Aviation Partners.
N719AN (hasn't spotted yet) is leased from Avolon Aerospace
I meant the people acquiring it on AA's behalf. I know they lease planes but wasn't sure who owned these myself.

717AN and 718AN have indeed been spotted already. Can't wait to see the 777's in AA livery like everyone else. Shouldn't be too long till it is flying for AA.

Last edited by adamj023; Nov 27, 2012 at 8:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.