Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA 787 Orders / Delays / Changes / Delivery Dates, 2012 and later (consolida

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

[This thread is obsolete now that N800AN, American Airlines' first Being 787-8, has been announced as arriving DFW for flight trials etc. today. AA9702 departed PAE (Everett, WA) 14:07 hrs Friday, 23 January 2015, and is expected to land DFW at approximately 19:00 (local times).

Please follow the new thread here: AA's first Boeing 787 / 787-8 delivered to DFW today 23 Jan 2015)

Thank you.

/Moderator

Originally Posted by JonNYC
1st AA 787 scheduled to be delivered as AA9702, this Friday (23 Jan 2015) PAE-DFW, arriving DFW at 4:21pm
The first AA 787-8, N800AN, has been built; flight testing began 6 January 2015 with the article currently referred to as "BOE-817".

The initial 787-8 configuration is expected to be 28 J, 48 MCE and 150 MC.

Post 184 (sluggoaafa):

28 B/C, 48 MCE, 150 MC

...last word we had was the 787 is due on 'property' approximately 12/31. January will be tied to FAA. February getting a few more tweaks done. March will be first AA revenue flight.
(Post #186, JonNYC, has details for the 787-9.)

Originally Posted by American Airlines
Boeing 787s
We have plans to acquire 42 state-of-the-art 787(-8) Dreamliners, which are currently scheduled to be delivered starting in late 2014
The All Things 787 Blog states American has 16 787-8s and 26 787-9s on order.

Post #157 states first passenger flights early 2015.

JonNYC depicts what the J cabin layout is likely here in post #260.

roadwarrior84 in post #260 shares some interior photos he found online, here.

To keep things in some semblance of organisation, I've consolidated all of the 2012 threads on the 787 delivery dates, orders or delays into this thread. For reference, here are the threads I found from years past, along with their dates:

. . . ● 14 Jan 2013: American changing jet orders with Boeing, Airbus
. . . ● 12 November 2011: AA 787 delivery schedule?
. . . ● 21 December 2010: AA 787 delivery dates at risk - again!
. . . ● 2 September 2010: American's 787's may fly JFK-LHR
. . . ● 21 February 2010: Boeing 787 Dreamliner: when realistic to fly on AA?
. . . ● 17 April 2009: 787 deliveries pushed back to 2013
. . . ● 15 October 2008: AA Orders 42 787 "Dreamliners" (+ 58 on options)

Please see AA (internally) announces first B788 route for route and inaugural flights information.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA 787 Orders / Delays / Changes / Delivery Dates, 2012 and later (consolida

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Longboater
...Can't wait to see American's 787-9! Any idea of when that might be JonNYC?
Can't say that I do-- I bet some here that follow the industry will have a better idea than I would, I think these things are relatively public. Hopefully someone more familiar with Boeing production/delivery will chime in.

And, on this one, 787-8 just a reminder, this is what I believe the seat set-up to look like:

Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
this is what I believe the seat set-up to look like:
Which implies 9-abreast in both MCE (assuming there is any) and Y. Would be nice to see 8-abreast in MCE, in the same way that AA retained 9-abreast on 77W/77D MCE, but I'm not counting on it.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PLAT
9 abreast in Y is a disaster in this aircraft......it achieves new levels of discomfort ...especially at the window seats for anyone delusional enough to think they can prop a pillow against the wall and nap.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:43 am
Suspended

apology for confusion

This from the TB thread, was passed on to me authoritatively:

MCE is confusing because the center seats in some rows are normal coach while the ones on the outsides of the aisle are MCE.
HOWEVER, I wasn't sure if that comment applied to -900 version only or -800 and -900.

I lost track a bit of what goes on with the economy section of this config, so, for now, assume TB's seating chart above only meant to accurately depict the business class cabin. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Seat count on -800 is:
28 business
48 MCE
150 economy
and: "8-18 Y before door 3, then 19-30 after door 3."

On -900 is:
28 business
51 MCE
210 economy

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 7, 2015 at 9:50 am
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by DiegoSan
9 abreast in Y is a disaster in this aircraft......it achieves new levels of discomfort ...especially at the window seats for anyone delusional enough to think they can prop a pillow against the wall and nap.
I wouldn't go that far; it's disappointing, but most non-East-Asian carriers are going with 9-across, and the seat width is (roughly) the same as the 767 with 7. 2-5-2 would have been a much better layout for window seats, but has become broadly unpopular.

8 across for MCE would be very welcome, and its absence is bummer but not really surprising (wasn't it at one point going to be absent on the new 2-class 772? Fortunately, they backtracked on that, or the rumor was false.)
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
Here are some pictures of the interior I found online:

Last edited by roadwarrior84; Jan 7, 2015 at 1:03 pm Reason: image loading
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roadwarrior84
Here are some pictures of the interior I found online:
(Airliners.net images)

Very cool, thanks for posting!

Anyone remember who informed the community many months ago-- LONG before it was public knowledge-- that AA was using these seats on its 787's? Yep.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 7, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Wow these look fantastic, except for the 3-3-3 seating in the back. Unfortunately I think every airline operating the Dreamliner, save JAL, is doing 3-3-3 in economy. As long MCE still has 36 inch pitch, I'll be ok with it.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
I wouldn't go that far; it's disappointing, but most non-East-Asian carriers are going with 9-across,
That "everyone is doing it" doesn't make it OK. And seat width is only part of my complaint. Distance to the wall from the window seat is a huge factor as is the IFE box.....it's truly pathetic. I won't spend my money on it again after doing it once.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:35 pm
Suspended

That "everyone is doing it" doesn't make it OK..
But it does make it a pesky little thing called "today's reality."
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:53 pm

But it does make it a pesky little thing called "today's reality."
Not for me. I have a choice. BA 777s are still 9 across but the across is much wider! I guess if they go to 10 across in the 772 I'm in trouble. Going to India from California is basically 2 back to back overnight flights and comfort is key. It's a hellish trip as it is.......I'll choose comfort over being surrounded by carbon fiber and rainbow lighting.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Seat count on -800 is:
28 business
48 MCE
150 economy
and: "8-18 Y before door 3, then 19-30 after door 3."

On -900 is:
28 business
51 MCE
210 economy
Wow - same biz count and virtually same MCE count on the much larger -900 is pretty rough. Esp. since the -900 is fairly close to 772 size (IIRC), but this -900 config has about as many biz seats as a 767.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Wow - same biz count and virtually same MCE count on the much larger -900 is pretty rough. Esp. since the -900 is fairly close to 772 size (IIRC), but this -900 config has about as many biz seats as a 767.
If they added one more row of J the % would be more in line with the other planes.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
That "everyone is doing it" doesn't make it OK. And seat width is only part of my complaint. Distance to the wall from the window seat is a huge factor as is the IFE box.....it's truly pathetic. I won't spend my money on it again after doing it once.
I take it you've tried 9-across on the 787 on another carrier?

I was going to give ANA as the other example, but it looks like they've got a mix of configurations and unless the 9-across is only domestic, I imagine they'll be moving over to all 9-across.

Most of my flying (by miles) is transpac, and this is likely to be a light year for me. Right now my plan this year is to take both trips I have planned on Premium Economy (first definitely on CX, second TBD and might be JL); it's not that much more expensive, and the CX seats are miles ahead of the extra legroom Y seats on AA if I don't do a miles+copay upgrade... the JL seats look even better although I've only seen them walking though the cabin or looking back from J.

It's likely to be the first year I qualify on points rather than miles -- the COS multiplier on EQP is really nice there! I'm sure AA won't miss my $4000-5000 in spend very much, and I should have enough domestic flying that I should be able to get the minimum 4 flights on AA proper without any trouble. The equation might be different if I were keeping EXP for next year, but I'm not and don't anticipate that much flying in the next year either (indeed, on a regular year flying AA on miles, I'd be doing crazy itineraries to get enough EQM rather than flying the direct flights out of SFO.)

Having been lucky enough to upgrade both ways on my one pair of 773 flights, my own experience with the MCE and Y- seats was checking them out briefly on that flight, but it was enough to convince me that 16A/L were a downgrade from my usual 772 31A/L (although a tolerable one, if I can get it), and avoiding Y- was worth the cash and inconvenience.

With Y-to-J upgrades likely getting harder, and Y- becoming the rule on all the long haul aircraft, really my hope at this point is that AA will decide to switch from MCE to a real Premium Economy class on it's international products. I'm happy to pay for it now on CX at present fares, and I'd be willing to pay for it or upgrade using miles on AA if the hard product was at least as good as CX.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
If they added one more row of J the % would be more in line with the other planes.
Off hand, I don't think I'd agree-- even the 77D once it's brought down to it's lower # of J seats will be: J37 Y252 vs. J28 Y261 on 787-900. Add 4 seats of J to that 787-900 and it's still not close to the same ratio. (and isn't remotely close to the current 77D.)

Of course, that's by design, 77D serving different kinds of routes, but the math is still pretty stark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.