FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Complimentary Inflight Wi-Fi [2012] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1342638-complimentary-inflight-wi-fi-2012-a.html)

HighPotter May 4, 2012 5:44 pm

I got one for the 40 free uses.

Thought it was a nice offer, and very appreciated.

HP

traveltot May 4, 2012 5:45 pm

I received an email offering 40 sessions in one year and accepted it.

My travel this year on AA has fallen off a cliff given change in business destinations as well as me getting tired of depending only on connections to anywhere in the world only through ORD. Maybe, it is targeted to try and entice once frequent travelers back...

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin May 4, 2012 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ltgfrk (Post 18513234)
I didn’t get it but as a conciliation AA is giving me a chance to meet Michael Bublé. :eek:

Originally Posted by siankaan1 (Post 18513444)
Yeah, I've been meaning to google him. Who is he?

Originally Posted by pssteve (Post 18516555)
+1

+1. I wanted the other prizes, but I was afraid that if I won I'd have to meet him, so I deleted the message.

AndyPok1 May 4, 2012 9:08 pm

I got it. PLT who has bought a one-time use pass for GoGo maybe 3 times in the past 2 years. Got 15 passes.

Yet another one where the targeting appears random.

lobo411 May 4, 2012 9:38 pm

I didn’t get it but as a conciliation AA is giving me a chance to meet Michael Bublé. :eek:

You're lucky. Mine was a chance to service aircraft lavatories with Maya Leibman. I may go for it--I can't imagine I would do a crappier job than G. Arpey! :p

holtju2 May 4, 2012 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1 (Post 18513444)
Yeah, I've been meaning to google him. Who is he?

As a lifetime PLT I got this offer as well. No idea who this Michael is?

hillrider May 4, 2012 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by aviatorzz (Post 18516573)
I am curious as to who is footing this bill. Over on the DL side of things, I've received free wifi sponsored by Coke and eBay. Nothing is ever free, including wifi. So I wonder where this money is coming from.

It's a promo from those who provide the service, AA and Gogo, so no money needs to come from anywhere. And given that the variable cost is practically zero, the only costs are revenue foregone by targeting the wrong people.

The uptake of WiFi in the air is a fiasco (<8% IIR) so they are probably trying to hook more people on it with the hope that more will pay for it after the promo. And they probably found out that to hook people you need to make it a habit, hence the 40 sessions. It's the same as cigarette makers giving out entire packets for free, not a single cigarette.

AA_EXP09 May 5, 2012 5:57 am

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 18517615)
As a lifetime PLT I got this offer as well. No idea who this Michael is?

A Canadian artist.

panjabi May 5, 2012 7:38 am

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 18517628)

<snip for clarity>

The uptake of Wi-Fi in the air is a fiasco (<8% IIR) so they are probably trying to hook more people on it with the hope that more will pay for it after the promo. And they probably found out that to hook people you need to make it a habit, hence the 40 sessions. It's the same as cigarette makers giving out entire packets for free, not a single cigarette.

The ONLY reason it is a fiasco is that the Marketing VP (or VPs) at GoGo are high on LSD

Seriously, this should be a no brainer. Let us look at some of the positives:

1. We are a wired society
2. Flights are incredibly boring (unless Cheese Plate lady is on board)
3. People are hooked on FB etc
4. The cost to run the service, once the equipment is installed, is nominal

Now let us look why we DO NOT like Go-Go

1. Ridiculously high per flight fees, many a times as high as $15 a segment. Seriously, $15 for a 2.5 hour flight from DFW to BWI. No thanks! I can wait unless I have an emergency

2. Even more ridiculous monthly fees. $40 a month. Come on now, for $40 a month I can get Dish network with 200 channels, OR get Verizon FiOS with a 25/5 MB service, OR get a pretty decent cell phone plan with data from Metro PCS OR... you know where I am going with this.

If I flew EVERY DAY, then $40/month may not be so bad. But since most fliers, even EXPs (I have 55K BIS miles to date and it is only May 5), will not fly more than 5-7 segments a month, $40 a month only makes sense for those 0.1% of fliers that do 20 segments a month or better

3. No guaranteed availability. So, let us suppose I too partake some of the GoGo LSD and do buy the $40/month plan. Well guess what? On half my flights, I don't even have GoGo. Do I get a refund or credit for that? Heck no!!

4. Non availability outside the US. The long haul routes to Europe, Deep South America and East Asia should be perfect for internet use. Lots of time disconnected from family and friends will give even the most budget conscious passenger the incentive to buy a day pass. However, as GoGo is set up, no can do. Heck it don't even work in Canada, and the Canadians are almost like normal people ;)

5. Slow speed. One of the things the internet can be very useful for is playing content. One can watch movies on Hulu etc. However, with the slow speeds, watching real time movies (as opposed to the GoGo server) is nearly impossible. After about the 5th time you see "Buffering", you want to personally fly to GoGo headquarters and punch the Marketing VP

6. Auto renewal of monthly subscription with a VERY difficult process to cancel it after one month. I am willing to bet that back in the day when they had a 30 day pass, many more people purchased the pass if they thought they had a busy travel month coming up.

Now, it locks you in to an automatic renew and it is nearly impossible to get out of it without incurring a second month in charges. Clearly the Timothy Leary wannabe working at GoGo went to his equally addled board and said "Hey.. here is a plan, we are a monopoly. So let us screw with our passengers and steal their money. After all, what other choices do they have. Sucka fool dawgs!" And the board all was probably so pleased that they voted themselves $100 million in stock options and then went off to play golf

If GoGo were to start respecting its customer base, it would do a whole lot better.

I don't want to be a hypocrite and pretend I do not use the service. If I have a work emergency, I certainly will fork over the dollars. But, barring that, my attitude is that one can always wait an hour or two

OWdevotee May 5, 2012 7:52 am

Right. That's it. I'm done with GoGo. I'm sick of paying through the nose for a cr**py service that functions intermittently, and even then at the pace of a sedated arthritic snail. Adding more users who aren't ponying up for the 'privilege', gumming up the works, is more than I'm willing to tolerate.

See ya, GoGo. I'm GoneGone.

fishferbrains May 5, 2012 8:43 am

I've just cancelled my monthly subscription also. I wasn't flying enough domestically to subscribe cost efficiently. It was just for convenience. I suppose I'll hang out for the promotions and pay per-flight if I need to.

Gogo - If you really wanted to attract and retain loyal customers:
1 - You wouldn't be doing recurring renewals without ability to cancel over the web.
2 - You'd hook-up with AA and offer tiered reduced-rate and/or free wi-fi for elite travelers.

AA-Flyer-SAN May 5, 2012 2:17 pm

..., I never get any of these offers!

SeAAttle May 5, 2012 2:46 pm

I got the 15 pass offer. Am currently signed up for the monthly recurring charge which I will now cancel. Saw nothing about the time period.

Anyone know if the pass is for one day, one flight, etc?

GadgetFreak May 5, 2012 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by vineyarder (Post 18510881)
I'm PLT and I got the offer (40 free sessions over the next 12 months); never subscribed to Gogo but buy individual passes about 50% of the time...

Same approximate usage here and I got the announcement as well. This is great.

smrl94 May 6, 2012 12:30 pm

gogo

does the aa promo work on delta flights as well?