FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Complimentary Inflight Wi-Fi [2012] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1342638-complimentary-inflight-wi-fi-2012-a.html)

mga911 May 3, 2012 6:26 pm

Complimentary Inflight Wi-Fi [2012]

My boss got an email announcing Complimentary Inflight Wi-Fi for a year! We're both executive platinum and I haven't received one yet. Anyone know anything about this?

Dear X,

We know that staying connected while you travel is important. That's why I am happy to offer you, one of our most valued customers, an exclusive gift of complimentary Gogo® Internet access for one year.*

Whether you choose to catch up on news or email, surf the Internet, or make dinner reservations, your next year of Inflight Wi‑Fi access (up to 40 uses) is on us. We are making tremendous progress installing Wi‑Fi, and I am pleased to share with you that we will offer Wi‑Fi service on the vast majority of our domestic fleet by the end of this year.

To receive your complimentary Inflight Wi‑Fi passes, simply click on the button below and register by May 14, 2012. You will receive a confirmation email from Gogo by May 25, 2012, with instructions on how to activate your passes.

Pedro M May 3, 2012 6:27 pm

I wish I would get the same offer! Did it come from AA or Gogo?

SFO777 May 3, 2012 6:28 pm

I hope that this is only a limited targeted offer.

AA_EXP09 May 3, 2012 6:34 pm

Now I wonder what's going to happen to our connection speeds inflight :rolleyes:

mga911 May 3, 2012 6:36 pm

It came from AA. I'm worried about the wifi speed too.

ACfly May 3, 2012 6:40 pm

Hooray!! I got an invitation as well to free WiFi... with a link to GoGO..

Here's the details:

This is an exclusive offer only for members who receive this email directly from American Airlines. You must register for the promotion at https://XXX by 11:59pm CDT on May 14, 2012, to participate in this promotion. Offer includes forty (40) Inflight Wi-Fi passes valid for 12 months from the date of Gogo’s activation email, after which date any unused passes shall expire. The Gogo activation email will be sent to you by May 25, 2012. Each Inflight Wi-Fi pass is valid for one flight segment. Passes are subject to Gogo’s promotion code use policy located at http://www.gogoair.com/gogo/cms/promotionpolicy.do, Gogo’s terms of use and Gogo’s privacy policy, which are located on gogoair.com. Passes have no cash value and cannot be sold, redeemed for cash or assigned or transferred for value, in whole or in part, and are only valid for one-time use, and are valid for 12 months from the date of Gogo’s activation email.

Once registered for this promotion, the email address you provide will be sent to Gogo to establish a new Gogo account if the email address currently does not have a Gogo account. If the email does have a Gogo account, Gogo will provision forty (40) Inflight Wi-Fi passes to your account. Your further interactions with Gogo related to this promotion and otherwise will be subject to Gogo’s privacy policy and terms of use, which are located on gogoair.com. Gogo will only send you transactional emails related to this offer. You will not receive additional marketing emails from Gogo, and your email address will not be shared by Gogo with third parties unless you explicitly opt-in for such emails directly from Gogo.

Use of the Gogo service requires registration and is subject to Gogo’s terms of use and privacy policy available at gogoair.com/terms. This offer may not be combined with any other discount or promotion and is solely for Gogo internet access and cannot be used towards the purchase of other goods or services offered by Gogo. The Gogo passes cannot be redeemed for cash or assigned or transferred for value, in whole or in part, and is only valid for the earlier of use on forty (40) Inflight Wi-Fi passes or 12 months from the date of Gogo’s activation email. Void where

Thank you for registering for your complimentary Inflight Wi-Fi gift from American Airlines. Look for an email from Gogo by May 25th with details to activate your passes.

EleanorMcDaniel May 3, 2012 6:45 pm

I got it too

I am a FORMER monthly go-go subscriber, maybe that is the ticket?

Grail May 3, 2012 6:47 pm

I just received the e-mail as well. Thanks Suzanne Rubin!

AA_EXP09 May 3, 2012 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by EleanorMcDaniel (Post 18510454)
I am a FORMER monthly go-go subscriber, maybe that is the ticket?

I have it on and off (if my travel is mainly transborder, on, if I mainly stay in Canada or fly TATL/TPAC then it's off)

Eye of Storm May 3, 2012 7:27 pm

I just received a similar message, except valid for 15 in-flight passes, and the message doesn't indicate a time frame for using them. I'm GLD.

vineyarder May 3, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm PLT and I got the offer (40 free sessions over the next 12 months); never subscribed to Gogo but buy individual passes about 50% of the time...

Upgraded! May 3, 2012 8:16 pm

I didn't get it but I haven't used Gogo since they stopped handing out free one day passes at the AC. However I did realize how to at least use part of Gogo for certain things for free under certain conditions (not talking about aa.com). Not posting it here for obvious reasons, but PM if curious.

lovely15 May 3, 2012 8:28 pm

I received the similar email for 15 passes, and haven't used Gogo since early 2010.

Too bad all my flying lately is American Eagle and trans-oceanic...

gamehendge2000 May 3, 2012 8:33 pm

I received this tonight. I am formerly exp, but essentially stopped flying AA since BOS<->everywhere got cut.

my offer was free wifi for up to 40 flights in 12 months. maybe their way of getting me back, but i'd rather fly direct without wifi (or paid wifi) than constantly stopping in ord or dfw, no matter where I am going

zux85 May 3, 2012 8:33 pm

I got it. Have only used gogo when it was free.

I'm Lifetime Gold and got the 40 pass email

Texagg09 May 3, 2012 9:01 pm

As a person who uses Gogo twice a week (and pays for it) this kind of pisses me off. The service I pay for will now be even slower because everyone is using free passes. There is very limited bandwith

wesmanz May 3, 2012 11:02 pm

I never seem to get these type of offers. I've used GoGo on most every flight that it's been available, had the monthly pass on several occasions when travel was bunched together.

I even recently joined their "Elite Advisory Panel", not feeling the love, I think I'll be un-enrolling, no more free info from me :td:

--wes

mrbrioni May 3, 2012 11:34 pm

Why didn't I get this???:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I've purchased the unlimited monthly on and off for last 6 months and am EXP!

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George May 4, 2012 6:01 am

I'd like to get the offer. I find gogo per flight pricey ($15.99 plus tax for DFW/LGA) but the monthly fee of $34.99 (IIRC) is not bad if you are flying at least once or twice a week. The problem is that a good deal of the AA fleet is still not equipped and even some of the MD80s and 737s are not so for now the monthly price is not worth it.

Of course, the other issue as pointed out is what I call the Megabus problem. Wifi if it becomes cheaper and readily available means all of sudden everyone is online and often streaming. Will there be enough bandwidth. Now with Megabus (popular here between NYC, Phil, Baltimore and DC) the wifi is free but 10 minutes into the trip becomes excessively slow because everyone is on and wants to stream or download movies or music.

siankaan1 May 4, 2012 6:19 am

Got it, 15 free, I almost always buy the one time pass. So this is worth $150 - $180 to me Thanks, AA! :)

jluxe May 4, 2012 7:46 am

I got the offer for 10 passes. I have purchased gogo once or twice in the past, was plat the last 2 years but fell to gold this year (Just 2 or 3 more flights to plat this year).

So Im not sure if the offer is related to your status.

Flying out of the midwest it seems like only half of my flights even have wifi. Oh well, I probably wont use the free gogo.

trekker954 May 4, 2012 7:58 am

All I've gotten the past couple a weeks is to sign up and pre order my onboard sandwich. ick. I would love a few passes for Gogo

Ltgfrk May 4, 2012 7:58 am

I didn’t get it but as a conciliation AA is giving me a chance to meet Michael Bublé. :eek:

dfwflyguy May 4, 2012 8:01 am

I didn't get one ...

siankaan1 May 4, 2012 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Ltgfrk (Post 18513234)
I didn’t get it but as a conciliation AA is giving me a chance to meet Michael Bublé. :eek:

Yeah, I've been meaning to google him. Who is he?

FightingIlliniUAL May 4, 2012 8:34 am

I got it, but for only 10 passes.

siankaan1 May 4, 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL (Post 18513461)
I got it, but for only 10 passes.

This seems odd, all these different pass counts. 10, 15, 40...what's the logic with that?

dopey! May 4, 2012 4:07 pm

I got one for 40. Although it says one year, its limited to the 40 uses so it won't interrupt all you gogo subscribers too much.;)

pssteve May 4, 2012 5:13 pm

+1

aviatorzz May 4, 2012 5:20 pm

I am curious as to who is footing this bill. Over on the DL side of things, I've received free wifi sponsored by Coke and eBay. Nothing is ever free, including wifi. So I wonder where this money is coming from.

On a side note, I have not received an email from AA and currently have the monthly subscription. :td:

HighPotter May 4, 2012 5:44 pm

I got one for the 40 free uses.

Thought it was a nice offer, and very appreciated.

HP

traveltot May 4, 2012 5:45 pm

I received an email offering 40 sessions in one year and accepted it.

My travel this year on AA has fallen off a cliff given change in business destinations as well as me getting tired of depending only on connections to anywhere in the world only through ORD. Maybe, it is targeted to try and entice once frequent travelers back...

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin May 4, 2012 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1 (Post 18513444)

Originally Posted by pssteve (Post 18516555)
+1

+1. I wanted the other prizes, but I was afraid that if I won I'd have to meet him, so I deleted the message.

AndyPok1 May 4, 2012 9:08 pm

I got it. PLT who has bought a one-time use pass for GoGo maybe 3 times in the past 2 years. Got 15 passes.

Yet another one where the targeting appears random.

lobo411 May 4, 2012 9:38 pm

You're lucky. Mine was a chance to service aircraft lavatories with Maya Leibman. I may go for it--I can't imagine I would do a crappier job than G. Arpey! :p

holtju2 May 4, 2012 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1 (Post 18513444)

As a lifetime PLT I got this offer as well. No idea who this Michael is?

hillrider May 4, 2012 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by aviatorzz (Post 18516573)
I am curious as to who is footing this bill. Over on the DL side of things, I've received free wifi sponsored by Coke and eBay. Nothing is ever free, including wifi. So I wonder where this money is coming from.

It's a promo from those who provide the service, AA and Gogo, so no money needs to come from anywhere. And given that the variable cost is practically zero, the only costs are revenue foregone by targeting the wrong people.

The uptake of WiFi in the air is a fiasco (<8% IIR) so they are probably trying to hook more people on it with the hope that more will pay for it after the promo. And they probably found out that to hook people you need to make it a habit, hence the 40 sessions. It's the same as cigarette makers giving out entire packets for free, not a single cigarette.

AA_EXP09 May 5, 2012 5:57 am

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 18517615)
As a lifetime PLT I got this offer as well. No idea who this Michael is?

A Canadian artist.

panjabi May 5, 2012 7:38 am

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 18517628)

<snip for clarity>

The uptake of Wi-Fi in the air is a fiasco (<8% IIR) so they are probably trying to hook more people on it with the hope that more will pay for it after the promo. And they probably found out that to hook people you need to make it a habit, hence the 40 sessions. It's the same as cigarette makers giving out entire packets for free, not a single cigarette.

The ONLY reason it is a fiasco is that the Marketing VP (or VPs) at GoGo are high on LSD

Seriously, this should be a no brainer. Let us look at some of the positives:

1. We are a wired society
2. Flights are incredibly boring (unless Cheese Plate lady is on board)
3. People are hooked on FB etc
4. The cost to run the service, once the equipment is installed, is nominal

Now let us look why we DO NOT like Go-Go

1. Ridiculously high per flight fees, many a times as high as $15 a segment. Seriously, $15 for a 2.5 hour flight from DFW to BWI. No thanks! I can wait unless I have an emergency

2. Even more ridiculous monthly fees. $40 a month. Come on now, for $40 a month I can get Dish network with 200 channels, OR get Verizon FiOS with a 25/5 MB service, OR get a pretty decent cell phone plan with data from Metro PCS OR... you know where I am going with this.

If I flew EVERY DAY, then $40/month may not be so bad. But since most fliers, even EXPs (I have 55K BIS miles to date and it is only May 5), will not fly more than 5-7 segments a month, $40 a month only makes sense for those 0.1% of fliers that do 20 segments a month or better

3. No guaranteed availability. So, let us suppose I too partake some of the GoGo LSD and do buy the $40/month plan. Well guess what? On half my flights, I don't even have GoGo. Do I get a refund or credit for that? Heck no!!

4. Non availability outside the US. The long haul routes to Europe, Deep South America and East Asia should be perfect for internet use. Lots of time disconnected from family and friends will give even the most budget conscious passenger the incentive to buy a day pass. However, as GoGo is set up, no can do. Heck it don't even work in Canada, and the Canadians are almost like normal people ;)

5. Slow speed. One of the things the internet can be very useful for is playing content. One can watch movies on Hulu etc. However, with the slow speeds, watching real time movies (as opposed to the GoGo server) is nearly impossible. After about the 5th time you see "Buffering", you want to personally fly to GoGo headquarters and punch the Marketing VP

6. Auto renewal of monthly subscription with a VERY difficult process to cancel it after one month. I am willing to bet that back in the day when they had a 30 day pass, many more people purchased the pass if they thought they had a busy travel month coming up.

Now, it locks you in to an automatic renew and it is nearly impossible to get out of it without incurring a second month in charges. Clearly the Timothy Leary wannabe working at GoGo went to his equally addled board and said "Hey.. here is a plan, we are a monopoly. So let us screw with our passengers and steal their money. After all, what other choices do they have. Sucka fool dawgs!" And the board all was probably so pleased that they voted themselves $100 million in stock options and then went off to play golf

If GoGo were to start respecting its customer base, it would do a whole lot better.

I don't want to be a hypocrite and pretend I do not use the service. If I have a work emergency, I certainly will fork over the dollars. But, barring that, my attitude is that one can always wait an hour or two

OWdevotee May 5, 2012 7:52 am

Right. That's it. I'm done with GoGo. I'm sick of paying through the nose for a cr**py service that functions intermittently, and even then at the pace of a sedated arthritic snail. Adding more users who aren't ponying up for the 'privilege', gumming up the works, is more than I'm willing to tolerate.

See ya, GoGo. I'm GoneGone.