Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by dtremit
It might well decline, but PHX couldn't go away without a combined airline giving up a lot of business. US' PHX operation is fairly large -- 180 mainline flights, 94 Express, and 77 nonstop destinations daily. By contrast, after expanding LAX last year, AA had 87 mainline flights, 63 Eagle flights, and 40 destinations.

A portion of that traffic could connect through Dallas, but a lot couldn't or wouldn't. (TUS-SFO, for instance, or SAN-SEA.) Expanding at LAX is the other option, in theory -- but there's really not much room to do that. I get the sense from AA's Eagle schedule at LAX that their mainline gates are pretty much maxed out already (though the TBIT expansion should help some), and US' current LAX gates are all but useless over in T1. Barring a major shuffle or construction project, major LAX expansion is probably not in the cards.

Which leaves PHX -- probably ending up as a smaller hub, but a hub nonetheless.
PHX is the Southwestern USA version of DFW, and will be redundant if AA merges. the HQ will go, most if not all the connecting flights, and the international flights. They will likely switch int'l to DFW or LAX. PHX is in the unfortunate position of being to AA the next BNA or RDU. Along comes a better city AA can suddenly invest in like MIA, leaving RDU and BNA as shells of their former selves.

Those of you hoping for a bigger better PHX will not get it via an AA merger with US, so be careful what you cheer for...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:34 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
PHX is the Southwestern USA version of DFW, and will be redundant if AA merges. the HQ will go, most if not all the connecting flights, and the international flights. They will likely switch int'l to DFW or LAX. PHX is in the unfortunate position of being to AA the next BNA or RDU. Along comes a better city AA can suddenly invest in like MIA, leaving RDU and BNA as shells of their former selves.

Those of you hoping for a bigger better PHX will not get it via an AA merger with US, so be careful what you cheer for...
I dun think that anyone here is hoping for "a bigger better PHX" let alone a merger w/ US (on Parker's terms).
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
There are, however, a couple of aspects of US I wish AA would take on, however (putting China in the same award redemption region as Japan, for instance).
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might well decline, but PHX couldn't go away without a combined airline giving up a lot of business. US' PHX operation is fairly large -- 180 mainline flights, 94 Express, and 77 nonstop destinations daily. By contrast, after expanding LAX last year, AA had 87 mainline flights, 63 Eagle flights, and 40 destinations.
That's why I didn't say that PHX would go away. And despite the PIT history, I don't think PHX would shrink that much. But it's undeniable that US already flies plenty of people between LAX and western cities via PHX where AA or Eagle already flies nonstops to those cities. Those connections no longer make sense once AA and US combine. At PHX, WN currently flies 180 daily flights to 49 nonstop destinations.

A portion of that traffic could connect through Dallas, but a lot couldn't or wouldn't. (TUS-SFO, for instance, or SAN-SEA.) Expanding at LAX is the other option, in theory -- but there's really not much room to do that. I get the sense from AA's Eagle schedule at LAX that their mainline gates are pretty much maxed out already (though the TBIT expansion should help some), and US' current LAX gates are all but useless over in T1. Barring a major shuffle or construction project, major LAX expansion is probably not in the cards.
A minor downsizing of PHX does not necessarily require expansion at LAX, as I pointed out above. Additionally, although there is not universal agreement, Terminal 4 is not maxed out and can handle additional daily flights. In June, 2005, AA scheduled 101 daily mainline flights at T-4. On top of that, QF no longer hogs gate space with its 747s at T-4 like it did several years back and that frees up additional capacity. Plus those four preferential gates at the new TBIT. AA has plenty of gate space on the horizon for an increase in LAX flying. Not enough space for 180 more mainline flights, to be sure, but easily enough space for another 40-50 or more daily flights.

SAN-SEA would be flown nonstop by AS as an AA codeshare, not by connecting at PHX. TUS-SFO and similar would require PHX.

It's not so much that connections currently scheduled at PHX would be moved to LAX as much as LAX-Various western cities nonstops and DFW/ORD connections would decrease the traffic at PHX somewhat. Still, AA's fairly impressive LAX schedule makes connections possible. Several daily mainline LAX-SFO flights could easily be upgauged from MD-80s/738s to 757s/A321s if necessary without impacting gate space. Small RJs to those various western cities (where US now connects at PHX) could become larger RJs.

AA's plan (the 20% increase over five years) is to increase its flying, both by the number of flights plus using larger RJs. Years ago, AA flew almost two dozen daily LAX-SAN SAABs. Now, the schedule is about half that many daily small RJs. It's possible that with relaxed scope, the optimal plane is a larger RJ for LAX-SAN.

I agree that the PHX hub likely won't go away or be PIT'ted or STL'd. But I think it will get smaller.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
AA's business plan is working just fine.....actually outperforming its competitors who went thru chapter 11 and subsequently merged.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...0NV_story.html

American Airlines parent AMR sees uptick in traffic, big gain in key revenue measurementBy Associated Press, Published: June 8

DALLAS American Airlines and its regional partner American Eagle saw a slight increase in passenger traffic in May and beat other airlines in a key revenue measure.

AMR Corp., which is operating while under bankruptcy protection, said Friday that revenue per mile that every seat flew increased 7.3 percent in May. The company credited solid demand, rising prices and fewer empty seats on international flights.

The AMR gain in revenue per seat mile compared to increases of up to 6 percent at Delta, US Airways and Southwest and roughly flat at United.

The statistic is closely watched by airline analysts and investors as an indicator of the carriers ability to raise fares and fill most of their seats.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Not surprising, given the number of high-value customers they're poaching off of UA. When one airline calls its elites "over-entitled" and the other is offering free status matches (and in some cases, free SWU-equivalents)...
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
AA's business plan is working just fine.....actually outperforming its competitors who went thru chapter 11 and subsequently merged.
You're pretty quick to declare victory based off a single metric for a single month.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:44 am
uxb

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You're pretty quick to declare victory based off a single metric for a single month.
I don't think anyone is declaring victory just yet. I mean, this has to happen over a number of months/years before anyone can tell US where to go. :P
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uxb
I don't think anyone is declaring victory just yet. I mean, this has to happen over a number of months/years before anyone can tell US where to go. :P
Using one metric from one month to conclude "AA's business plan is working just fine" is laughable.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
also reported here
AMR, parent of American Airlines, has changed its method of reporting traffic this year, and it seems to coincide with an improving performance on unit revenues.
Another change in AMRs reporting of monthly traffic numbers is that it now mushes together American; its American Eagle-branded carriers that it owns, American Eagle Airlines and Executive Airlines; and its American Connection partners, such as Chautauqua Airlines, that operate flights on AMRs behalf.
which I am not sure whether will make the report looks better or not.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by lyiu18
also reported here

which I am not sure whether will make the report looks better or not.
I would guess not.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:13 am
uxb

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Using one metric from one month to conclude "AA's business plan is working just fine" is laughable.
Agreed, but I don't see what he said as declaring outright victory. At best, he is being a cheerleader for an airline that he has flown/churned 4MM on. It's kinda like in the movie "Major League."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnVrSZHnvYY

As a longtime flyer, I think the AA forum can use some cheerleaders during this process.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by uxb
I dun think that anyone here is hoping for ... a merger w/ US (on Parker's terms).
Those of us who live near CLT, which is virtually certain to survive AA+US, are thinking that AA+US wouldn't be bad at all... assuming our Advantage status carries forward.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:20 am
uxb

Originally Posted by ccengct
Those of us who live near CLT, which is virtually certain to survive AA+US, are thinking that AA+US wouldn't be bad at all... assuming our Advantage status carries forward.
In any case, a merger w/ US should happen on AA's terms, and not the other way around. I think even you could agree with that.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by uxb
In any case, a merger w/ US should happen on AA's terms, and not the other way around. I think even you could agree with that.
Nope. The capital markets are with doug all the way. Good friend who does lots of transportation investment banking work at goldman says wall street has zero confidence in Horton.....this was from breakfast this am. Says merger is all but certain now and creditors/private equity/wall street all want Parker running the show. He is involved in the process. TPG is 100 focused on the merger w Parker at helm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.