Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Japhydog
I don't see how this has anything to do with takeover rumors.
It doesn't. However, some posters, for whatever reason, refuse to get the transcripts from the actual proceedings. Instead, they would rather post based off of misleading media headlines/stories.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by zakami
Why is the military special? Why shouldn't they pay a commercial carrier (although I don't know about AA's military policies)? Same way I pay to get my goods across.
That is easy and the answer is very simple.

Due to the bravery of our fine men and women who sacrifice so much, including their lives in many cases, Americans who never served, like myself, get to enjoy the many freedoms and luxuries this great country has to offer.

Thank God for these "special" men/women. I am the first to admit that I don't have what it takes to be on the battlefield of war. Respectfully, these individuals are truly special and should be thanked by us not only on Memorial or Veteran's Day.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
It doesn't. However, some posters, for whatever reason, refuse to get the transcripts from the actual proceedings. Instead, they would rather post based off of misleading media headlines/stories.
Unfortunately, that is where many are getting their info, instead of the real sources. So the speculation will continue.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
Will you please point out any factual inaccuracies in the article which I linked?
Old May 30, 2012, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Japhydog
I don't see how this has anything to do with takeover rumors.
Perhaps this article will answer your question:
American, Unions Begin Bankruptcy Court-Supervised Mediation
The Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) this week is expected to begin negotiations with management under the auspices of a bankruptcy judge, say sources familiar with the proceedings. In its closing arguments during the bankruptcy proceedings last week, the APFA reiterated its support for the proposed merger with US Airways, as did the Allied Pilots Association, which is expected to begin its court-directed talks next week.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:04 am

TPG may join the party
Old May 31, 2012, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by lyiu18
Huh. That's a little more scary now...isn't it.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:39 am

@!$&. If that goes through looks like I'll only fly when I have enough cash for a charter. Damn Parker screwing with the only domestic airline I'll even consider flying.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
Snack Mix with US Airways imprinted

On AA 61 DFW-NRT 27 May, the snack mix bags served to economy pax were imprinted with US Airways on the back side!
Old May 31, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz
Huh. That's a little more scary now...isn't it.
Sounds that way to me. Re this paragraph from the article...

"TPG has worked with AMR in the past, having partnered with the airline on an unsuccessful $1.1 billion offer to rescue Japan Airlines from bankruptcy in 2009. Bonderman still has the pulse of the airline industry, having served as chairman of Ryanair for 15 years."...

I don't want anyone having anything to do with Ryanair getting anywhere near any airline I fly...
Old May 31, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Sounds that way to me. Re this paragraph from the article...

"TPG has worked with AMR in the past, having partnered with the airline on an unsuccessful $1.1 billion offer to rescue Japan Airlines from bankruptcy in 2009. Bonderman still has the pulse of the airline industry, having served as chairman of Ryanair for 15 years."...

I don't want anyone having anything to do with Ryanair getting anywhere near any airline I fly...
X2
Old May 31, 2012, 9:49 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by lpeterman
On AA 61 DFW-NRT 27 May, the snack mix bags served to economy pax were imprinted with US Airways on the back side!
Scary.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by uxb
Scary.
scary is to think that US Air is the better alternative !
Old May 31, 2012, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This may not be the worst news to come down the line. Unlike the AA unions, TPG doesn't irrationally hate management but will bet its money where the numbers make the most sense (notwithstanding the mistake in buying Midwest). That might mean backing Horton and existing AA management with an eventual takeover of US (and/or B6 or others).

I'm pretty certain that TPG will want to see AA reduce its wage expenses as much as possible which argues against the somewhat "generous" term sheets Parker offered the AA unions to get them all hot and bothered about a merger with US.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
This may not be the worst news to come down the line. Unlike the AA unions, TPG doesn't irrationally hate management but will bet its money where the numbers make the most sense (notwithstanding the mistake in buying Midwest). That might mean backing Horton and existing AA management with an eventual takeover of US (and/or B6 or others).

I'm pretty certain that TPG will want to see AA reduce its wage expenses as much as possible which argues against the somewhat "generous" term sheets Parker offered the AA unions to get them all hot and bothered about a merger with US.
I still question whether B6 and particularly AS would want to be acquired by AA. AS has a very special and profitable market niche with great codeshare arrangements. In fact, in some other thread (maybe I read it on airliners.net) someone called AS the slut of the air because AS will hook up with anyone.\

I would also think that a TPG based bid would draw particular interest from creditors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.