Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 10:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The Miami Herald:
Bankruptcy judge advises American to make a deal
As American Airlines made its final stand Friday in U.S. bankruptcy court, the judge finished the lengthy hearing on a surprising note by telling the courtroom that the airline and its unions need to work toward a deal.

In American Airlines closing arguments after three weeks of testimony, the company said its labor contracts must be terminated for it to survive and dismissed its unions calls for a merger with US Airways as smoke and mirrors.

But U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Sean Lane said that though he was prepared to rule by the June 22 deadline, he would prefer not to.

The only thing I have in front of me, he said of the so-called Section 1113 hearing, is whether to reject a collective bargaining agreement. Youre all still stuck with each other. You still have to negotiate new agreements.

Even if Lane abrogated agreements with the pilots, flight attendants and transport workers, American would still have to come to agreement with its unions.

I urge, and I cannot urge this any more strongly, that the parties resolve this where they need to resolve this the negotiating table, said Lane. Regardless of what I do, youre going to have to do it anyway.

Mediation is scheduled to start next week with the labor groups before another judge of the bankruptcy court, and Lane would like a resolution that does not require him to make a decision. Ill do it even if Im reluctant to do it, he said.

<snip>
Old May 28, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I have no idea what's surprising about this. Judges prefer negotiated settlements to issuing verdicts in commercial disputes all the time.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
I don't see how this has anything to do with takeover rumors.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:33 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by Japhydog
I don't see how this has anything to do with takeover rumors.
It doesn't, but based on the language, it looks like the judge is prepared to strike down the agreements.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:31 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Really if you think about it the Judge has to strike down the agreements. If he did not then he would put American in the position of living with there contracts and trying to compete with Delta and United who had their contracts rejected. In the end that would cost American all their jobs as opposed to just the ones proposed in the bankruptcy.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The problem with the last statement is that if AA wants to join in consolidation there are not a lot of alternatives. B6, AS, F9 (assuming those airlines would even entertain an AA offer) do nothing to bring in very lucrative International travel while USAir would at least help AA plug some of its European gaps.

Theoretically a merger with a OW partner would make the most sense but its doubtful that foreign ownership rules would be relaxed.

AA missed the boat with NW and now its got to settle for a much less desirable choice.
Alaska would be great if we survive rather than American AS takes real good care of it's FF's and it's better than the alliance now with Delta ugh they treat AS FF as dirt
Old May 28, 2012, 7:41 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Alaska would be great if we survive rather than American AS takes real good care of it's FF's and it's better than the alliance now with Delta ugh they treat AS FF as dirt
DL treats everyone like dirt.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by uxb
They treat me well as an AS MVPG.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by uxb
LOL I love it ! AS 75K and board with the #$#$#%$^%&%&
Old May 28, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Couple of thoughts about the above:

1. Eagle has relatively litttle market value, as it has one customer and the vast majority of its fleet consists of 50 seats or less. And the highest wage costs of any regional. Delta was able to sell ASA for a few hundred million dollars in its desperate attempt raise cash prior to its bankruptcy, but was unable to find a buyer for Comair, and that was seven years ago, when the economics of 50-seaters didn't suck anywhere near as much as today. If Eagle could have been sold, Arpey would have done it two or three years ago when he first talked about it.

2. With over $5 billion in cash now, AA has pretty good liquidity. Perhaps AMR could sell Eagle for a few million dollars, but that wouldn't make a whit of difference to AMR's total liquidity. Compared to most bankrupt airlines in the past, AA already has very stable finances.

3. I doubt that AA's POR will provide much (if any) cash to the unsecured creditors; instead, the unsecured creditors will have to be satisfied with the newly issued stock in AMR. Based upon previous bankruptcies of UA and DL, that stock may be "valued" at several billion dollars the day the POR is confirmed. IIRC, none of the other airlines paid any significant amount of cash to the unsecured creditors upon confirmation of their POR.
Agreed. No one would buy Eagle at this point. That idea has been explored for a while now and there were no takers. At this point AMR would have to PAY someone to take it off their hands given the economics of the operation and contracting regional industry in general.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:32 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by mreed911
They treat me well as an AS MVPG.
This is the same airline that charged my brother, who was on active duty orders and in uniform, to transport his armour to/from base not once or twice, but seven times - all whilst ignoring heir own policies to waive the fees for military personnel on orders. You can imagine the field day I had each and every time I had to blast them for charging members of the military hundreds of bucks to move their equipment across the country and across the globe. That's all I'll say OT.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by uxb
This is the same airline that charged my brother, who was on active duty orders and in uniform, to transport his armour to/from base not once or twice, but seven times - all whilst ignoring heir own policies to waive the fees for military personnel on orders. You can imagine the field day I had each and every time I had to blast them for charging members of the military hundreds of bucks to move their equipment across the country and across the globe. That's all I'll say OT.
Why is the military special? Why shouldn't they pay a commercial carrier (although I don't know about AA's military policies)? Same way I pay to get my goods across.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:26 am
uxb

Originally Posted by zakami
Why is the military special? Why shouldn't they pay a commercial carrier (although I don't know about AA's military policies)? Same way I pay to get my goods across.
DoD has special carrier contracts w/ DL, WN and I think AA. That's mostly why. Besides, grunts like my brother don't make the big bucks fighting in war. The excess baggage/weight charges were sometimes equivalent to his paycheque.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by zakami
It is a stipulation in DoD contracts. Military pays modified full Y fares - they can be changed w/o fees, they are not eligible for F instant upgrades and when traveling in official status (orders) they are not charged checked in baggage fees. That was my experience over 24 years of military travel.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Back on topic, please. There is an existing thread here to discuss military, excess baggage charges and AA. And, we have an entire forum for DL-related issues.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; May 29, 2012 at 9:44 am Reason: expand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.