Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - Special rights, privileges and restrictions affecting military (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA - Special rights, privileges and restrictions affecting military (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

This thread is secondary to the excellent Wiki page dstan has created, is an attempt to document all rights, privileges and restrictions extended to military members by American Airlines, and a place you can add information / corrections to. Feel free to amend the Wiki page as well, since a Wiki by definition is member-maintained. Some phraseology may be underscored for emphasis, and minor notes may be added, in italics. I will attempt to keep this post up to date.

Please feel free to post known rights, privileges and restrictions (e.g. military fares and upgrades, etc.) below; please keep your posts about your considered opinions as to whether these are right or wrong or the purpose of the U S military, etc. off this thread - non-content editorializing will be summarily deleted.

Military members (and in instances, their accompanying family members):

MAY HAVE ACCESS TO SPECIAL FARES (which may also have special conditions and limitations) (See FlyerBeek's post below for information on special leisure and furlough fares for non-official personal travel.)

Q: Do you offer Government or Military Fares?
A: American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection may offer Government or Military Fares in some markets. For further information, please call American Airlines Reservations at 1-800-433-7300.

MAY HAVE FEES WAIVED WHEN USING AA TRAVEL CENTERS, RESERVATION OFFICES OR AIRPORT LOCATIONS

This charge does not apply to... Government/military fare tickets

MAY HAVE FREE FLIGHT CHANGES AND REFUNDS ON NONREFUNDABLE TICKETS

(if the changes are caused by and documented with proper military orders)
Q: Can I change my ticket or get a refund if my plans changed due to a military activation?
A: Military personnel and their immediate family or accompanying passengers with tickets for any published, non-published or private fares are eligible to make changes without charges or to receive full refunds if a copy of the military orders are submitted with the request.

Refunds for the military passenger's ticket are made to the original form of payment. Tickets for immediate family members or accompanying passengers will be exchanged for transportation vouchers.

MAY NOT USE ONLINE CHECKIN (OLCI) ON MILITARY FARES

Q: Are there any special circumstances in which I can't use Online Flight Check-In?
A: You are not eligible to use Online Flight Check-In if:
  • The first flight for which you are checking in is NOT operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection.
  • You are traveling on a military fare.
  • You are traveling with a pet.
  • You are traveling with an oxygen container.

MAY HAVE FREE AND EXTENDED CHECKED BAGGAGE RIGHTS

Military Baggage
  • Active U.S. Military personnel are allowed to check three pieces of baggage free of charge.
  • Each checked bag in the free allowance may be up to 62 inches and weigh up to 50 lbs. The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
  • Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders are allowed one bag in the free allowance up to 100 lbs. and 115 inches. The second and third bags are free of charge up to 50lbs. and 62 inches. Travel orders must be presented when checking the bag.
  • The 70 lb. maximum bag weight limit for Europe and Asia does not apply for U.S. military baggage if traveling on orders.
  • Military ID must be presented. Traveling in uniform is not required.
(*more changes coming, June 8 2011 - to five pieces)

Military Dependents
  • U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders are allowed to check two bags free of charge. (E.G. PCS, etc. - editorial note)
  • Each checked bag in the free allowance may be up to 62 inches and weigh up to 50 lbs. The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
  • If more than two bags are checked, excess piece charges apply.
  • Oversize and overweight charges apply if applicable.

MAY CHECK IN UNLOADED FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION IN CHECKED BAGGAGE

Even to / from the UK, if carrying appropriate documentation. See more.

MAY HAVE FREE VOLUNTARY STANDBY

The following passengers (in part, see full list here) may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders

MAY HAVE ACCESS TO THE ADMIRALS CLUB, WITH ACCOMPANYING FAMILY MEMBERS

American Airlines invites U.S. military men and women, returning on Emergency or Rest and Relaxation (R&R) Leave from Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) or Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), to spend time between flights at an Admirals Club lounge. They are welcome to wait for their flights, enjoy complimentary snacks and soft drinks, watch TV, use the Internet or just stretch out and relax. U.S. troops are given complimentary admission in airports that host Admirals Club locations where USO facilities are not available or not within a reasonable proximity to their connecting domestic flight. The Admirals Club lounges have expanded the military access policy to include family members and relatives accompanying military personnel who are provided lounge access while on leave from OIF and OEF.

The following criteria is (sic) required for complimentary admission:
  • Soldiers on Emergency or R&R leave who are traveling on military charters from Kuwait [Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) or Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF)]
  • Soldiers wearing their appropriate travel uniform
  • Soldiers having leave forms (DD 31) stating they are on leave from OIF or OEF
  • The program is effective December 12, 2003 through the end of the R&R program.

MAY HAVE RESTRICTIONS ON UPGRADES WHEN USING MILITARY FARES:

SWUs / "eVIPs"
Fares not eligible for systemwide upgrades are:
  • Government or military fares
  • Any fares not eligible for mileage credit (such as award tickets)

MILES AND COPAY

Upgrade using miles and co-pays are allowable.

500 MILE "DOMESTIC" "STICKER" UPGRADES

AAdvantage Executive Platinum members traveling on any published fare, and AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members traveling on fares booked in Y or B. (Deleted "except on Military Fares" after experiences from military members of FT.)

-BUT / AND-

MAY BE ISSUED COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES WHEN TRAVELING IN UNIFORM
These are available if seats are available, and these fall below Gold "sticker" upgrades in priority.

MAY RECEIVE COMPLIMENTARY FFP FOOD AND BEVERAGES WHILST TRAVELING IN COACH
Again, whilst traveling in uniform; there is a "military comp" button on the credit card reader used for FFP / Beverages.

MAY RECEIVE PRIORITY BOARDING
First to board: First Class / Uniformed Military on three class domestic and with AAdvantage Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald on two class domestic and international, if originating in US or Canada <thread>

OTHER: VETERAN / MILITARY RECIPIENTS OF MEDAL OF HONOR
American Airlines has announced living recipients of the Medal of Honor, the highest military honor awarded by the U S military, those who distinguish themselves through "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his or her life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States," are awarded AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, ConciergeKey and Admirals Club memberships. Link.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2013 at 1:36 pm Reason: added link to FlyerBeek's post
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fantastic!!

However, shouldn't this be in the wiki, which is there for reference (as opposed to discussion) and is very much searchable?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:17 am
Original Poster

You are quite correct - and I believe it should - but I put this together on the fly, and don't have the time right now add it with the slightly greater degree of work it takes to do it right. If you or anyone else is volunteering, fantastic, if not I will get a round twoit, as I will to adding links to many of these for sourcing and full aa.com text.

Originally Posted by hillrider
Fantastic!!

However, shouldn't this be in the wiki, which is there for reference (as opposed to discussion) and is very much searchable?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:07 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I'm putting something together now (just so no one else duplicates the effort).
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:08 pm

OK, new wiki page has been posted - please feel free to edit/add as always.

Wiki: Military Travelers

Last edited by dstan; Jun 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

<deleted>

BTW and somewhat OT as it is not exclusive for AA, here's a LAX Terminals map showing the USO location:

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm Reason: correct for current AA policy
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:39 pm

AA policy on complimentary upgrades to military

This was just posted in another thread and I've now added it to the wiki page:

Originally Posted by AAFA
Uniformed military personnel get complimentary upgrades when available and free drinks and food in coach. That is the official policy. The OSR (credit card sales device) has a military comp button. Unoficially most of us try to take care of our military passengers regardless of how they are dressed. The paperwork lets us know who they are if they are on a military ticket. I think the upgrade status is below gold but above non rev. That's where they usually fall on the list.
(Moderator's emphasis)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Members of the military are regularly upgraded on domestic and international flights when seats are open after elite upgrade requesters have been accommodated. Again, this is rare in domestic markets but in international routes especially DFW-FRA, this is very common. I saw a couple soldiers in F/J both ways on those flights.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Here's an interesting one:

When going out of JFK today I went up to the Priority Security Screening line. The line was backed up past the entry point. When I handed the gatekeeper my BP and military ID she told me to go to the "1st line." I thought this was the first line so I walked over to the line at the far end of the ropes and the sign there said something like "Express xxx." I walked up and the gatekeeper there said "no, go to the crew line." I entered the crew line and was waved through by the TSA agent. (I always use my military ID because it is at the top in my wallet.)

Was this a random event? Don't know. All three individuals (2 AA employees and a TSA agent) involved seemed to be on the same sheet of music so I have to wonder.

As an EXP, for the next couple of weeks anyway, I found this all interesting. I have flown out of JFK 2x in the last 10 months and this never happened before, but previously the Priority Screening line was pretty empty.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not specifically related to AA but when clearing US Customs in Chicago the line on the far left next to the crew line is for military/diplomats/etc. It is usually much shorter than the line available to the general public. I don't remember if there is a priority line for immigration/passport control.

Last edited by zski1; May 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm Reason: wrong side
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
AA Military Furlough/Leisure fares

More specifics on military furlough/leisure fares...

In many markets (both domestic and international) AA offers military "furlough" or "leisure" fares (I've heard them referred to as both by agents). These fares are typically booked into N inventory and are intended for non-official personal travel. Usually they tend to be slightly more expensive than the deepest discounted enonomy fares, but they have the substantial benefits of no advance-purchase requirements and are changeable without fee. They are available to all active-duty military and spouse/dependents and must be booked by phone.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 15, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Military moving to First Class

Many threads about this in the past but still makes me feel proud. Friday night I was on the last leg of a flight home and the FA came to coach and asked told two individuals, one in the army and one in the navy, both in uniform to move up to FC. As usual, they both humbly got up to move. Interestingly, the navy ensign who was sitting across the aisle from me made the comment "I don't deserve this, I am new". A gentleman in front of me wearing a ball cap with stitching on the back that said "Marine" turned to the ensign and said "you earned it when you took the oath, so get on up there".

Wonderful sight every time I see it!
Old May 15, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Great post. One thing of interest caught my eye.

There was much discussion in February of EXPs with expiring SWUs
giving the awards to service men.

In the regulations shown on the link, it expressly states that military fares are not eligible for eVIPs.

Can anyone explain?
Old May 15, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Thumper
Great post. One thing of interest caught my eye.

There was much discussion in February of EXPs with expiring SWUs
giving the awards to service men.

In the regulations shown on the link, it expressly states that military fares are not eligible for eVIPs.

Can anyone explain?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

The upshot: The government solicits bids for fares which must be fully refundable/changeable and come out of the Y (ie last coach seat on the plane) bucket. Upgradability is not one of the requirements to put in a bid, but close to the lowest price among airlines bidding for a particular route is, so airlines put other stipulations on their government fare bids in order to keep their costs down.

Government fares can be used by most government employees (and some non-employees in some cases, including me), military or civilian, when traveling on official business.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Post AA on Facebook: Military personnel soon to be allowed to check 5 bags free

According to a recent post by AA on Facebook:

Great news! Military personnel will soon be allowed to travel with up to 5 free checked bags, at no cost. Also, military personnel traveling on orders may continue to have one of their free bags weigh up to 100lbs (126 linear in.), also free of charge- this greatly helps with large duffel bags! More detail coming!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.