Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by sts603
US decided on PHL for what?
A hub rather than PIT. One of the reasons I stopped flying them. I was doing 100+ segments a year on them for a while. I remember a flight from LGA to PHL where everyone was connecting and we landed at PHL and just parked. Multiple US1s were calling the Chairmans desk asking for help in getting us a bus to get us to the terminal for our connections. But no.......
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:28 pm

Doug Parker has been clear for years that US isn't capable of competing with the big guys. Thats why he's buying AA. To compete with the big guys.
It is a lot easier to compete on PHL-LHR than NYC-LHR. They seem to me to have downsized their LGA operation as well, although that is just an impression from hanging around waiting for shuttles over the years. I just don't think having gates will help them compete. It is their business model/niche which I don't think will lead them o try to compete in those markets. At least not for long.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uxb
+1, SQ is struggling to make profits flying longhaul from SIN, and have cancelled their nonstop from EWR as a result.
As others have said, I think it has more to do with the four-engine A340, weight restrictions and as I understood it, the floor of the 340 the way SQ had them delivered couldn't take their F seats (weight I think). Ironically, while one would obviously pay for the time savings of a non-stop, those who wanted to fly F had to fly one-stop.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
A hub rather than PIT. One of the reasons I stopped flying them. I was doing 100+ segments a year on them for a while. I remember a flight from LGA to PHL where everyone was connecting and we landed at PHL and just parked. Multiple US1s were calling the Chairmans desk asking for help in getting us a bus to get us to the terminal for our connections. But no.......
PHL vs. PIT was an issue 10 years ago under the former US management. It has absolutely nothing to do with the route structure of a combined AA-US. No rationale person things that PIT will be rehubbed. But I do disagree with any idea that AA is going to downsize NYC in favor of PHL. As I've said, I think there is room for both. Most of AA's NYC business is O&D, not connecting. And there is no way to move the US hub operation to NYC.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
It is a lot easier to compete on PHL-LHR than NYC-LHR. They seem to me to have downsized their LGA operation as well, although that is just an impression from hanging around waiting for shuttles over the years. I just don't think having gates will help them compete. It is their business model/niche which I don't think will lead them o try to compete in those markets. At least not for long.
And the size of the market is how many times bigger NYC-LHR?? Sure, its easy to compete when you'll be in a JBA with your only competitor (PHL-LHR). But the amount of traffic and most importantly the amount of premium traffic on NYC-LHR is MANY, MANY times higher.

The point is that the US business model and niche wasn't viable. That's why Doug has been hunting for a partner. He did alright over the last few years scraping together some profits but he knows that can't last forever. So he's getting into the big guys game and trying to merge with one of the big guys so he can run a big guy operation. If he wanted to be a niche player, why buy AA.

US downsized their NYC operation not to run away from the competition but because they had a better competitive advantage at DCA and the opportunity to strengthen in via a slot swap with DL. The WAS market certainly isn't non-competitive. In retrospect with he merger, US-AA probably should have kept the LGA presence (though it may have required more divesting to pass anti-trust scrutiny, the current merger will still have the combined entity slightly behind DL's LGA presence). But that slot swap was designed long before AA entered Ch. 11.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:37 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
As others have said, I think it has more to do with the four-engine A340, weight restrictions and as I understood it, the floor of the 340 the way SQ had them delivered couldn't take their F seats (weight I think). Ironically, while one would obviously pay for the time savings of a non-stop, those who wanted to fly F had to fly one-stop.
Yeah, I was posting as I went along instead of posting at the end. Kinda jet-lagged.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:38 pm

And the size of the market is how many times bigger NYC-LHR?? Sure, its easy to compete when you'll be in a JBA with your only competitor (PHL-LHR). But the amount of traffic and most importantly the amount of premium traffic on NYC-LHR is MANY, MANY times higher.

The point is that the US business model and niche wasn't viable. That's why Doug has been hunting for a partner. He did alright over the last few years scraping together some profits but he knows that can't last forever. So he's getting into the big guys game and trying to merge with one of the big guys so he can run a big guy operation. If he wanted to be a niche player, why buy AA.

US downsized their NYC operation not to run away from the competition but because they had a better competitive advantage at DCA and the opportunity to strengthen in via a slot swap with DL. The WAS market certainly isn't non-competitive. In retrospect with he merger, US-AA probably should have kept the LGA presence (though it may have required more divesting to pass anti-trust scrutiny, the current merger will still have the combined entity slightly behind DL's LGA presence). But that slot swap was designed long before AA entered Ch. 11.
They may still see it to be better to sell those slots to DL than compete with DL. I don't see their product competing in those markets.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:41 pm
Suspended

They may still see it to be better to sell those slots to DL than compete with DL. I don't see their product competing in those markets.
Why do you think that US is buying AA to make AA like US? Doug has been clear that the US hub/route system doesn't generate the revenue that the big guy's systems do. He's created a product to match that. While I'm not a fan of a lot of what Doug has done, he's a pretty saavy guy at the end of the day. Pretty sure he knows that what can fly on PHL-MAN or PHL-GLA isn't going to cut it on JFK-HND/LHR/CDG (though as I said above, US has far more flat J in a spacious herringbone configuration than AA does right now).

Also, I doubt DOJ will allow any sales to DL at LGA.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
Why do you think that US is buying AA to make AA like US? Doug has been clear that the US hub/route system doesn't generate the revenue that the big guy's systems do. He's created a product to match that. While I'm not a fan of a lot of what Doug has done, he's a pretty saavy guy at the end of the day. Pretty sure he knows that what can fly on PHL-MAN or PHL-GLA isn't going to cut it on JFK-HND/LHR/CDG (though as I said above, US has far more flat J in a spacious herringbone configuration than AA does right now).

US is not buying AA.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:12 pm

Does anybody have any links or information into what divestitures / changes that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) forced upon DL/NW and UA/CO when they merged? (Or even SW / AirTran for that matter...)

Did the European Trade Commission get involved with DL/NW or UA/CO mergers?

I am looking to get ideas on what might be mandated by the FTC as a part of the US/AA merger...

Somebody up-thread mentioned that WAS is the only area with overlap, so would be the only place where changes might be coming. I have trouble believing this, but I am not an expert in this area. (I do post on FT though, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. So I've got that going for me.)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bubba198
US is not buying AA.
Realize that. Was using buy as a substitute for Parker's five year quest to find a partner.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by bubba198
US is not buying AA.
I missed that.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:24 pm

I suspect you're right about about the DoJ. But I think US is looking to expand the buttom feeding. They have cut back before and I would expect them to do so again to focus on non-competitive hubs and use the AA network to feed into that.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Does anybody have any links or information into what divestitures / changes that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) forced upon DL/NW and UA/CO when they merged? (Or even SW / AirTran for that matter...)

Did the European Trade Commission get involved with DL/NW or UA/CO mergers?

I am looking to get ideas on what might be mandated by the FTC as a part of the US/AA merger...

Somebody up-thread mentioned that WAS is the only area with overlap, so would be the only place where changes might be coming. I have trouble believing this, but I am not an expert in this area. (I do post on FT though, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. So I've got that going for me.)
DOJ and not FTC investigate airline mergers. Delta did not have to do anything, UA had to give some stuff at EWR to WN,

Delta NW http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/pr...008/238849.htm
UA CO http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2010/A...10-at-974.html
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I suspect you're right about about the DoJ. But I think US is looking to expand the buttom feeding. They have cut back before and I would expect them to do so again to focus on non-competitive hubs and use the AA network to feed into that.
As much as I dislike US, I don't think they're looking to expand the bottom feeding. AA's hard fought contracts with the pilots and FAs still pay more than US is paying and simply won't allow for profit as a bottom feeder. On top of that, there are strong indications that the pilots and FAs will get even more money in the merged airline, and that US employees would be brought up to AA pay levels rather than AA dropped to US levels. Parker may have run an airline with the worst customer service I've ever experienced, but I hope he's smart enough to realize that that model just won't work on the new airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.