Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
I spotted AMR's CEO Tom Horton in Manhattan today near 5th Avenue and 58th. Right by the Plaza. Was walking briskly with briefcase in hand, wearing a blue tie. Rumors are that the AMR board was meeting either yesterday or today to discuss the merger. Potentially in NYC.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bustraveler
I spotted AMR's CEO Tom Horton in Manhattan today near 5th Avenue and 58th. Right by the Plaza. Was walking briskly with briefcase in hand, wearing a blue tie. Rumors are that the AMR board was meeting either yesterday or today to discuss the merger. Potentially in NYC.
Most recent rumours are that the AMR board will meet on Wed:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/report...193555827.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...html?ana=yfcpc
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yep; Business Insider says, in part:

Speculation has been mounting about an agreement which could be announced in coming weeks, with reports yesterday indicating that the boards of the two airlines would meet tomorrow to consider the plan.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ameri...#ixzz2Ki7YwL9L
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yep; Business Insider says, in part:
CNBC has been reporting the same and that's it not really in question how they will vote. That's not unusual since these things are rarely put to a vote unless it's known the support is there.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by grahampros
CNBC has been reporting the same and that's it not really in question how they will vote. That's not unusual since these things are rarely put to a vote unless it's known the support is there.
Its looking more and more when I wake up at 4AM Thursday and turn on the television this will be a done and announced deal (companies tend to make major announcements after the market has closed.)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Its looking more and more when I wake up at 4AM Thursday and turn on the television this will be a done and announced deal (companies tend to make major announcements after the market has closed.)
Shall we just go ahead and start the thread for all questions that can't yet be answered regarding a post-merger AA (e.g., what will be served on DFW-SEA for lunch after the merger or will fare class restrictions be added to eVIPs after the merger or will AA go all-Y after the merger).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Lol, yea why not.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bustraveler
Yup. The blue tie was the signal that the merger was happening. If he had worn red it meant it wasn't.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
Yup. The blue tie was the signal that the merger was happening. If he had worn red it meant it wasn't.
+1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
I did not read it that way. Now, had he been wearing a top hat and coattails, then and only then would I have declared with authority that the merger was a done deal.

Provided he was carrying his briefcase in his left hand.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Is it odd that this merger which would "create the world's largest airline" doesn't feel like that? Or is it just a matter of perspective?

I'm not for the merger (not really a fan of US), but if it happens I hope they beef up Asia - the lack of routes/representation will be sorely lacking for the world's largest airline. Just came back from vacation and United's Narita operations are pretty huge from appearances (number of passengers, gates, size of United Club).

I can live with the Europe ops (I like LHR vs FRA as a connection point) and I love the coverage to South America.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Is it odd that this merger which would "create the world's largest airline" doesn't feel like that? Or is it just a matter of perspective?
It doesn't because unlike DL/NW and UA/CO, two carriers with large international presences aren't merging. Instead, a big carrier with a large international presence is merging with a mid-size carrier (known as a big player only in PHX and the East Coast) with a small international presence are merging.

I think an Asian expansion is certainly warranted with the merger. I think some widebodies would be freed up based on European routes being made redundant. Furthermore, I would think a combined AA-US would consider pulling some widebodies for Asian service at the expense of seasonal Europe service. I think AA fliers would be surprised at how many of US's few A330s/767s are spent doing MCO/SJU/CUN-CLT/PHL and PHL-CLT flights during much of the year. And as much as people want to poo-poo US, the int'l J seat on all of US's international aircraft except the int'l 757s is essentially equivalent to what AA just put in the AA 77W and is thus of course ahead of AAs int'l 772, 763 and 757 J product.

While I'm still anti-merger, the US fleet does give AA options that it doesn't have now.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:05 pm

Hey guys - who do you think the big winners and losers are for the merger???

ex - winner: 1) Doug Parker - finally wins a deal; Now CEO of combined airline, etc

- loser: 2) PHL - being so close to JFK it will undoubtedly see a major reduction in capacity
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by csanati

ex - winner: 1) Doug Parker - finally wins a deal; Now CEO of combined airline, etc

- loser: 2) PHL - being so close to JFK it will undoubtedly see a major reduction in capacity
I disagree. PHL is still one of the largest cities in the country, it has one airport and a lot of corporate traffic, US has successfully held WN at bay and placed them into retreat, it still generates more revenue than other US hubs, and the traffic can't be shifted to LGA/JFK because of slot constraints.

My guess is CLT and DCA will largely stay in tact (with perhaps some reduction of Carribean service out of CLT due to the proximity to MIA; or perhaps some scaled back to weekend only when the extra capacity is warranted). PHL will remain a major hub though some int'l routes may disappear due to the proximity to JFK. Or some routes could switch perhaps.

PHX will be the biggest loser. Its a lower revenue hub and is largely redundant to DFW and LAX. The few routes where PHX is the logical connecting hub of a combined entity (say SLC to ELP) isn't a large enough market and is lower yielding.

Last edited by sts603; Feb 12, 2013 at 1:24 pm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by csanati

There's significant network overlap between PHX/LAX and JFK/LGA/PHX/DCA.

Sooner or later they'll go after those cost savings, and it remains to be seen which hub(s) will suffer, or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.