Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
if only someone can come up with a way to merge all three remaining
airlines(UA, DL and the new AA-US)...
Yes, we could combine them into a government run airline - call it Amsky.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Please name a recent merger in the USA, in any industry, which benefited consumers.
PriceClub/CostCo, perhaps.

Cheers.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:30 am

Just curious as to what makes AA's ff program better? I don't know much about it at all, but found US's program to be the best one for me out of all of Star Alliance programs. Very generous w/ upgrades, nice redemption rates using partners and extremely for actual redemption on partners.

Ultimately, the most important thing to me is how easy/hard is it to redeem mileage. US is not great on its own metal, but has been extremely good to me when using Star Alliance.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by State fan
Just curious as to what makes AA's ff program better? I don't know much about it at all, but found US's program to be the best one for me out of all of Star Alliance programs. Very generous w/ upgrades, nice redemption rates using partners and extremely for actual redemption on partners.

Ultimately, the most important thing to me is how easy/hard is it to redeem mileage. US is not great on its own metal, but has been extremely good to me when using Star Alliance.
EXP desk (not sure how the current US Chairman's desk is - it was great back when I was a Chairman's in 2005-2006), 8 VIPs per year for EXPs usable on any fare, few to no upgrade shenanigans, one-way redemption awards, and an equally generous redemption chart across One World (noting the big negative of the BA YQ issue).

I think the bigger issue is that EXPs generally feel very well treated by AA. Upgrade percentages vary base don travel patterns but I think most EXPs think that the airline does well by them (with a few, but increasing number, of bad apples in the TA/GA/EXP desk system).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by State fan

FFs look at programs very differently based upon their needs. As an EXP that flys almost domestic I'm more concerned about things like full meal service going away on flights less than 3.5 hours or the ability to maintain unlimited, space available complimentary upgrades for EXPs. Redemption of miles to me is secondary. I can usually get the (saver) award I want by being flexible on dates.

Now if I was flying to Asia or Europe a couple times a month my expectations and concerns would likely be very different. Some top elites have hordes of miles (even after giving away to family and friends) just because if you are flying 20,000 miles plus per month the last thing you probably want to do on your very limited free time is get back on an airplane.

I also like that FTs do not represent harden road warriors that have neither the time and more specifically the desire to blog about travel.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
As an EXP that flys almost domestic I'm more concerned about things like full meal service going away on flights less than 3.5 hours or the ability to maintain unlimited, space available complimentary upgrades for EXPs.
Meal service on shorter flights is a concern even though I think that the new AA-US will know it has to look at DL/UA service levels which are still much closer to the current AA than to the current US. That said, US's meals when they do serve them are pretty good.

I don't think losing unlimited upgrades at least for EXPs is a concern given that all UA and DL elites get them.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by diver858
Sirius/XM - allowed 2 floundering competitors to merge, creating a financially viable entity.
And, in the process, breaking both of their "guarantees" to their customers over the short and long term - raising rates by nearly 25% almost immediately, and dumbing down the service by losing nearly 15% of its channels. Definitely a successful merger for the consumer.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by sts603
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

I promise I will change!
Are you going to refute the points we have made to disagree with your viewpoint for just spout out one liners?
I am refuting it. I don't think people change their way of approaching things that much. I think such changes are almost unprecedented in fact. If you spend your life thinking it works to focus on cutting costs and operating in non-competitive niches you don't wake up one morning and say that your big focus is customer service and a class operation.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
[
That is really the bottom line - for passengers. The only real question is how bad will it be. I'm guessing horrific but hope I'm wrong. US seems to me to be Southwest with bad customer service.
Since when does WN fly TATL? And with the same model of C seat that CX uses, to boot?

(Also, bagging on WN is sort of a tradition here on FT, but really, they're quite different from a legacy- AA and US have more in common than WN and any legacy.)
If you reread my post I am not "bagging" on Southwest. In fact I am saying they have a similar model to US but do it better in my opinion.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If you reread my post I am not "bagging" on Southwest. In fact I am saying they have a similar model to US but do it better in my opinion.
You're quite wrong about this, then (which was also my point). US has regional carrier relationships like AA does, WN does not. US has widebodies flying TATL and a mixed fleet like AA does, WN does not. US has lounges like AA does, WN does not. US is a member of a major frequent flyer alliance like AA is, WN is not. US has first class like AA does, US has longhauls. And so on, and so on. US and AA serve first-tier airports like JFK, ORD, DFW, MIA, WN does not (in those markets, WN serves the LCC/secondary airport, save for NYC, which is a very recent change).

Like it or not, US and AA are far more similar in their services and how they operate as an airline than US and WN.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:34 am
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:32 am
Suspended

You're quite wrong about this, then (which was also my point). US has regional carrier relationships like AA does, WN does not. US has widebodies flying TATL and a mixed fleet like AA does, WN does not. US has lounges like AA does, WN does not. US is a member of a major frequent flyer alliance like AA is, WN is not. US has first class like AA does, US has longhauls. And so on, and so on.

Like it or not, US and AA are far more similar in their services and how they operate as an airline than US and WN.
+1. There is not one similarity between US and WN that isn't also similar between AA and US.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:36 am

You're quite wrong about this, then (which was also my point). US has regional carrier relationships like AA does, WN does not. US has widebodies flying TATL and a mixed fleet like AA does, WN does not. US has lounges like AA does, WN does not. US is a member of a major frequent flyer alliance like AA is, WN is not. US has first class like AA does, US has longhauls. And so on, and so on. US and AA serve first-tier airports like JFK, ORD, DFW, MIA, WN does not (in those markets, WN serves the LCC/secondary airport, save for NYC, which is a very recent change).

I am aware of those differences. I however feel more or less like a cow on either carrier. And I think Southwest at least tries to make it nicer to be a flying cow.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:37 am
Suspended

I am aware of those differences. I however feel more or less like a cow on either carrier. And I think Southwest at least tries to make it nicer to be a flying cow.
Could you please be more specific. Because frankly the Y experience on AA/US/DL/UA is pretty much awful all around.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Ritz
And, in the process, breaking both of their "guarantees" to their customers over the short and long term - raising rates by nearly 25% almost immediately, and dumbing down the service by losing nearly 15% of its channels. Definitely a successful merger for the consumer.
Seems very prudent moves to stop all the red ink. The alternative would have been no satellite radio all together. Still remains to be seen if it remains given all the internet options now, but the moves likely improved the chances. It's a business not a charity.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by grahampros
Seems very prudent moves to stop all the red ink. The alternative would have been no satellite radio all together. Still remains to be seen if it remains given all the internet options now, but the moves likely improved the chances. It's a business not a charity.
thank you. outside the airline industry, companies that continually lose money go out of business. inside the industry, companies that continually lose money get chewed up by doug parker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.