Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by sts603
EXP desk (not sure how the current US Chairman's desk is - it was great back when I was a Chairman's in 2005-2006), 8 VIPs per year for EXPs usable on any fare, few to no upgrade shenanigans, one-way redemption awards, and an equally generous redemption chart across One World (noting the big negative of the BA YQ issue).

I think the bigger issue is that EXPs generally feel very well treated by AA. Upgrade percentages vary base don travel patterns but I think most EXPs think that the airline does well by them (with a few, but increasing number, of bad apples in the TA/GA/EXP desk system).
The main differences I expect are lower quality all around, a cheap veneer over the whole operation, poorer customer service, limited or no international upgrades, more difficulty upgrading in advance and the last part, just not seeing the things that indicate they care about EXPs. And I think long term they are likey to reduce non-stops from their non-fortress hubs.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Please name a recent merger in the USA, in any industry, which benefited consumers.
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Disney/Pixar.
What are the alleged benefits of this one?

Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more.
I can't disagree that emphatically, but I certainly don't see the benefits.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
The main differences I expect are lower quality all around, a cheap veneer over the whole operation, poorer customer service, limited or no international upgrades, more difficulty upgrading in advance and the last part, just not seeing the things that indicate they care about EXPs. And I think long term they are likey to reduce non-stops from their non-fortress hubs.
Those things make current-AA a better airline than current US. It does not make US like WN - especially given that "poorer customer service" was never part of WN. It may be a heffer hauler but their people are nice (even if poorly dressed).

P.S. US's international upgrade policy is more generous than DL and essentially on par with UA other than fewer certs going out to CPs. But in terms of the upgradability using mileage, US is no worse than UA and definitely better than DL.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And a somewhat unpopular viewpoint that the merger may not be the best idea in the world:

Endlessly repeating falsehoods won’t make them true—something that stock analysts and the press need to learn about mergers in general and airline mergers specifically. So no, the much anticipated American-US Airways merger is unlikely to be a success by any measure. That’s because, in the airline industry, as in many industries, size really does not matter for success, except possibly negatively.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-is-a-bad-idea
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
AT&T with T-Mobile...

...oh, wait.

Never mind!
--woodstock
DL/NW is actually an example i would use. DL has really made a lot of improvements in it's service and facilities post merger. With improved margins, they can afford to invest in the product and still make money. Benefiting the consumer is not always about a lower price.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by sts603
Those things make current-AA a better airline than current US. It does not make US like WN - especially given that "poorer customer service" was never part of WN. It may be a heffer hauler but their people are nice (even if poorly dressed).

P.S. US's international upgrade policy is more generous than DL and essentially on par with UA other than fewer certs going out to CPs. But in terms of the upgradability using mileage, US is no worse than UA and definitely better than DL.
Sorry, I think I was unclear. I meant that the customer service was not as good on US as on WN. I was always pleased with CS on Southwest although I haven't flown them in ages. Upgrade policy on UA isn't great on UA. But policy is only part of the story. I found as a 1K I could virtually never clear an international upgrade before the gate. That is not my experience on AA. I'm talking about with instruments or miles in both cases obviously.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grahampros

DL/NW is actually an example i would use. DL has really made a lot of improvements in it's service and facilities post merger. With improved margins, they can afford to invest in the product and still make money. Benefiting the consumer is not always about a lower price.
Reduction in service, higher prices and gutting of their FF program. Yeah, the merger has created a customer nirvana over at DL these days
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
DL gets ripped here on FT because, well, SkyPesos™, plus they're stingy with the longhaul upgrade instruments (they're mostly useless), and it's quite obvious they are trending towards "we value your loyal high-margin business" and away from "fly umpteen gazillion miles on cheap fares and get treated like royalty".

That being said, I'll generally take my business to an airline with nicer planes and nicer in-flight amenities (or customer service) over run-down DC-9s and a very exploitable FF scheme (I've been more than willing to fly VX and WN over the years). And I also find it hard to blame businesses for using measures like revenue and high-margin business to help determine how to hand out the goodies to loyal customers.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Reduction in service, higher prices and gutting of their FF program. Yeah, the merger has created a customer nirvana over at DL these days
All depends on what you value. Improved reliability, improved on board and ground products, expanded network, etc. And little evidence of higher prices relative to other carriers. They are still typically very price competitive. It's relatively easy to find DL fares that are the same or lower then most carriers.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
DL gets ripped here on FT because, well, SkyPesos™, plus they're stingy with the longhaul upgrade instruments (they're mostly useless), and it's quite obvious they are trending towards "we value your loyal high-margin business" and away from "fly umpteen gazillion miles on cheap fares and get treated like royalty".

That being said, I'll generally take my business to an airline with nicer planes and nicer in-flight amenities (or customer service) over run-down DC-9s and a very exploitable FF scheme (I've been more than willing to fly VX and WN over the years). And I also find it hard to blame businesses for using measures like revenue and high-margin business to help determine how to hand out the goodies to loyal customers.
Despite the complaints, DL's profitability and load factors have only improved. They correctly figured out that the profitable folks dont actually book away because of the changes as much as they may rant on about them.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
On paper, the 1K benefits stayed the same or even improved a bit (like the absurdity of now being able to get E+ seats for eight traveling companions).
No, this benefit started way before the merge.
I should add that 1Ks did lose our two confirmed regional upgrades per quarter
1Ks lost 4 RPUs per year.

1K didn't gain any benefit but lost a lot.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Despite the complaints, DL's profitability and load factors have only improved. They correctly figured out that the profitable folks dont actually book away because of the changes as much as they may rant on about them.
Exactly. The kind of heavy flyers that are not on FT value routes, times, reliability. Essentially they want to get wherever they are going as quick as possible. They don't place this uber importance on a smiling FA, or a certain type of liquor available or whether the sundaes are pre made. Yes, they have interests including the inflight experience, the IFE system, lounges, etc. but for them its more a function of get me there ASAP with as many options as possible.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All depends on what you value. Improved reliability, improved on board and ground products, expanded network, etc. And little evidence of higher prices relative to other carriers. They are still typically very price competitive. It's relatively easy to find DL fares that are the same or lower then most carriers.
In fact, the publicly available data show that Delta does not get any additional significant revenue per mile above AA's levels despite DL's perceived stinginess with frequent flyer benefits.

In the aggregate, DL's mainline yield last year was all of $.0005/mi higher than AA's mainline yield. In the aggregrate, that yield differential was worth just $85 million to Delta. DL's 2012 pre-tax, pre-profit-sharing profits of well over $2 billion were driven by lower costs and DL's superior regional jet revenues (where AA should begin to catch up with the expansion in 2-class large RJs).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Ritz
And, in the process, breaking both of their "guarantees" to their customers over the short and long term - raising rates by nearly 25% almost immediately, and dumbing down the service by losing nearly 15% of its channels. Definitely a successful merger for the consumer.
While competition is preferred in most scenarios, the cost to launch, maintain satellites, content requires a minimum number of subscribers. Neither entity reached critical mass, sufficient revenue to cover costs, ran out of external capital, both entities were fighting a losing battle for survival.

So yes, the consumer benefited; alternative would have been BK7 for at least one of the entities, leaving consumers with a worthless receiver, lost subscription payments.

Some similarities to the airline industry, where excess inventory was sold below cost to gain/hold market share, resulting in billions in losses. Over the past few years, mergers and reduction in inventory have begun to bring supply more in line with demand, prices (and fees) are more in line with cost. So while the customer experience is a miserable one, most of us are able to travel most anywhere in the US - most parts of the world - at prices that have not kept up with inflation over the long term. Sounds like a win for the consumer to me...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by 787fan
for me, the biggest concern would be how the AA award chart would be devaluated. Both US and AA are *by far* the lowest award amounts for many international premium awards among the big legacies
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmmm, I'll take UA's 160k r/t F award on US-South Africa any day over the 200K one on AA (including an $800k+ surcharge for the BA segments). Or any "non-traditional" routing on a UA award that would require multiple awards in the AAdvantage program (like US-Asia via Europe).
Ah, but you can book the same flights with US miles for 150k.

US and AA are, as 787fan notes, fairly generous programs for redemption. Moreover, airlines typically have not raised redemption rates significantly during mergers -- it's more common a few years out. And frankly, there's nothing keeping either carrier from following DL if they stay independent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.