Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants union file a grievance over AA's F turndown service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I can't make this stuff up.

Source.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Only in America...
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
doesn't sound that unreasonable to me; if their workload has been increased with additional new duties but the staffing was not increased, then it warrants some kind of examination and training. and then if the mgmt went ahead with the change before the examination and training period was over, then I think I would also be a little bent out of shape. it is typical of labor/mgmt mistrust: both sides think of the other "if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile".
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
APFA cautioned them that more research needed to be done to ensure this was not going to cause an unreasonable workload for the Flight Attendants

Can someone explain exactly what this "turndown service" entails? Just what are they being asked to do to these passengers that might create an unreasonable workload? lol
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
The turndown service are things like giving pajamas in F which there are threads about.

Most of the time, AA FAs are just sitting down either chatting loudly or reading.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
So let me get this clear...
they're filing a grievance because handing out pyjamas and putting a sheets on a bed is possibly an unreasonable workload? You've got to be kidding me. This is ridiculous. Then again, this is America...
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by cityboy340
So let me get this clear...
they're filing a grievance because handing out pyjamas and putting a sheets on a bed is possibly an unreasonable workload? You've got to be kidding me. This is ridiculous. Then again, this is America...
This attitude is what comes on when you hear announcements in flights saying from the FAs saying "we are primarily here for your safety". Perhaps they feel that wasting their time providing services impacts their ability to keep everyone safe.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850
Only in America...
+1

CX doesn't seem to have a problem!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by hillrider
I can't make this stuff up.

Source.
Geez...next grievance will be offering drinks to pax.

Instead of working with AA teh APFA files a grievance. I guess I can't take the APFA seriously as they voting for the worst governor ever right now. What kind of organization posts legitimate issues while losing credibility for having pointless headlines that their members may not support.

I wonder how many FAs really think a grievance should have been filed?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
Originally Posted by Xero
This attitude is what comes on when you hear announcements in flights saying from the FAs saying "we are primarily here for your safety". Perhaps they feel that wasting their time providing services impacts their ability to keep everyone safe.
And by saying that we're interfering with their ability to provide us safety they actually mean that doing this will cut into their Us Weekly reading time.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think what the FAs are saying is that this extra service requirement violates the 2003 arbitration agreement over staff and service levels, wherein they eliminated some services rather than add an FA, and AA had presumably agreed to not increase service levels.

Originally Posted by APFA
This week American announced their new ‘Turn Down’ service on international flights. When briefed by the company APFA cautioned them that more research needed to be done to ensure this was not going to cause an unreasonable workload for the Flight Attendants, and not in violation of the 777 agreement. The company has chosen to move forward. Therefore, we will be filing a Presidential Grievance and compiling information from the field concerning this service.
Essentially, FAs are stating the new turndown services of making up a bed with bed pad, pillow and duvet in the 777 cabin were unilaterally imposed and constitute a violation of that 777 agreement.

I am not taking a position or advocating one way or another, it's just how it has been explained to me.

MODERATOR NOTE: Given the occasionally controversial nature of this topic and previous issues reflecting high emotionality, allow me to issue a reminder we will not tolerate personal or group attacks, or post material that should be in OMNI or OMNI P/R. Thank you for everyone's cooperation and good sense.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
doesn't sound that unreasonable to me; if their workload has been increased with additional new duties but the staffing was not increased, then it warrants some kind of examination and training. and then if the mgmt went ahead with the change before the examination and training period was over, then I think I would also be a little bent out of shape. it is typical of labor/mgmt mistrust: both sides think of the other "if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile".
+1. The linked news item seems like a reasonable approach to evaluate new assigned job duties and whether they comply with the existing labor agreement. Without reading the relevant agreement or any grievance that is ultimately filed, it'd be difficult to know if the union's and AA's actions are reasonable, since those provide the context for any action.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:01 pm

"unreasonable workload for the Flight Attendants"

Safety first - of course. But these are what, 6-9 hour flights. And I am guessing that the make-up and tear down of these amenities for PAX will take what -- 2 FAs maybe 15 minutes? Give me a break.

I guess the FAs are determined to provide consistency -- consistently sub par service.

Did they complain when they started handing out the personal video devices? or Bose headsets? or the sparkling water before landing?

Another one for the books....
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Wow.

I read the linked feedback form on the site too. I found this question particularly interesting: "Were there lines for the lav when pax changed into/out of pajamas"

There are sometimes lines when the meal service ends too. Should those be cut for safety reasons? The glasses are sharp if broken too.

I too would really be interested in how many FAs think APFA filing a grievance on this is good versus bad versus indifferent.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:10 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

They even created a survey form:

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm Reason: redact hidden link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.