Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants union file a grievance over AA's F turndown service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendants union file a grievance over AA's F turndown service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lobo411
But this is about respecting the process. Let's say you and I are contractual partners. I have a change that violates our agreement, but I think it serves us both. Unilaterally, I violate our contract and implement the change.
Facts from the link in my OP:
When briefed by the company APFA cautioned them that more research needed to be done to ensure this was not going to cause an unreasonable workload for the Flight Attendants, and not in violation of the 777 agreement. The company has chosen to move forward.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Contract issues notwithstanding, what bothers me about this is the attitude implied by the union's survey. The wording looks for excuses to complain to management (or future arbiter) and misses and opportunity to elicit first-hand feedback from the pax about a newly introduced service for their best customers. How about adding some questions like:

* Did any passengers comment on the turn-down service?

* Were these comments generally positive, negative or neutral?

* Do you feel passengers think the turn-down service added value to the FC product.

etc....

Let's assume for the moment that the feedback, as documented in my revised AFPA survey, yielded a positive pax reaction to the service. AFPA could then use that as leverage in their negotiations with management (You want us to do this? Something the pax likes? Ok, then we want ......)

If on the other hand, the survey yields negative or indifferent results, they can use that to encourage management to drop the service and stop burdening the FAs with a task that isn't valued and it seems the AFPA would rather not have their members perform.

But, no, the survey (and by extension, the AFPA) isn't about what is in the best interest of the pax (and by extension, the health of the airline) it's about what can we document to get out of doing this task.

Sad. Very sad.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by inlanikai
But, no, the survey (and by extension, the AFPA) isn't about what is in the best interest of the pax (and by extension, the health of the airline) it's about what can we document to get out of doing this task.
And the airline is all about what is in the best interests of the pax...right?

Businesses aren't charities, workers aren't volunteers, and passengers don't buy products as an act of kindness. Everyone is in it for themselves...that's the essence of capitalism...and it seems to work quite well to me!
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
> 9% Unemployment, no job growth, rumors of a double dip recession and they're worried about an "unreasonable workload"? Wish I was a member of a powerful union so I could claim that when it suited me
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
> 9% Unemployment, no job growth, rumors of a double dip recession and they're worried about an "unreasonable workload"? Wish I was a member of a powerful union so I could claim that when it suited me
Join one.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:06 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Saw this posted on Airline Forums by a Chicago based flight attendant:
Originally Posted by IORFA
The biggest resource AA doesn't want to provide is man power. AA lost a grievance after they removed a F/A from the 777 around 2000. Now they think they can slide this by with no increase in man power? HAHAHA. They were forced to either add the F/A back or reduce the service. I'll let you guess what AA decided to do. I guess they forgot about that little bit of recent history. ALL they need to do is negotiate a new contract with the APFA and I'm sure all will be fine. In the end, AA will either remove the service or pay for it to be done. It will take an arbitration proceeding to get to that point, so it will be awhile. In the mean time the service will be provided, don't worry nyc6035.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
In the end, AA will either remove the service or pay for it to be done.
I loved this bit.

Just how many times would the FA like to be paid for the time this work takes?

As long as the agreed rest breaks are being given there should be no objection to actually working during the rest of the time instead of sitting around chatting.

While the rest of the world is dealing with the effects of the recession and doing what they have to do each day to keep their jobs and help keep their employers in business there seems to be a strange disconnect with reality going on here ...
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don't want to be another FA basher but come on. Most people are now doing more with less. Moreover, F International paxs are AA's real bread and butter.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by lobo411
Contracts are sacred. Capitalism isn't capitalism without that one, basic precept.
Unless you were a GM bondholder in 2008/9, now who knows?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Geez, I now know where all the wannabe airline CEOs go to express their opinions.

I'm glad the FAs are wanting to know how much of a change this will be and how it will impact other current services. I think it is a very reasonable approach and the process that labor/management agreed to use in differing thoughts. I'm just glad neither AA nor the employees carry the same sense of entitlement that many flyers have.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Unless you were a GM bondholder in 2008/9, now who knows?

But IIRC, that was also the product of all sides playing the hands they were dealt. A majority of the bondholders decided it was in their best interest to accept the settlement they were offered. 30% of something is better than 100% of nothing. @:-)
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Geez, I now know where all the wannabe airline CEOs go to express their opinions.

I'm glad the FAs are wanting to know how much of a change this will be and how it will impact other current services. I think it is a very reasonable approach and the process that labor/management agreed to use in differing thoughts. I'm just glad neither AA nor the employees carry the same sense of entitlement that many flyers have.
+1
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inlanikai
But, no, the survey (and by extension, the AFPA) isn't about what is in the best interest of the pax (and by extension, the health of the airline)
No, you don't get it -- they are concerned about the interests of the pax. They specifically asked whether or not the T/D service interrupts the (overall) flow of the first class service. And by first class service, they mean FAs sitting in the galley reading People magazine.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by tkelvin69

Since other airlines for years and years have offered turn-down service on longhaul flights, it is reasonable to assume this is a load of crap coming from the FA unions.

Passengers are paying customers, they are allowed to have a sense of "entitlement" just like they are allowed to take their business else where if those "entitlements" are not met.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
aa please fire them all.... hire people who actually want to offer a good service rather than minimize their own personal effort. fire fire fire!!!!
Well, to be fair, we don't know where exactly this "issue" originated. Obviously the union was made aware of the onerous increase in job responsibilities by at least one Flight Attendant, but perhaps it's really just the suits in union leadership causing the stir as a negotiating tactic. I can't say I blame them, that's what the FAs pay them to do. But it certainly seems like an inefficient use of capital for people who make so little money in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.