Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great AA Mileage Race to "D-Day" (MM change day) - 12/1/11

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
There's no doom and gloom scenario here. We are actually pretty fortunate here that AA is not other carriers *cough*DL*cough*UA*cough* who have given either little notice to changes, or have completely gutted benefits from the program. If you come up a little short by 9/1 it's gonna be okay because you're 'grandfathered in' with your previous mileage earnings. Not a bad trade-off at all compared to other, less-fortunate souls...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm sitting on about 920,000 LT miles right now. I already have the AA credit card,
There are 3 AA credit cards not including the new $500 Exec one. You can get bonus points for the personal AMEX, Visa, and then the Business one (can't remember branding). If you have not signed up for all 3 that may be an option to then do what you can to get the sign-up bonus to post before 01 Dec.

If you do spend a decent amount on credit cards a year it may be worth to pay $500 for the Exec Citi AA card as those miles will count towards elite status until Dec 2012.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold SPG Gold ($30K AMEX)
Thanks for the MR suggestion

I had forgotten I could convert Membership Rewards points into Starwood points.

After my last Starwood points transfer to AAdvantage miles, I have 8,888 points left and am expecting another 1100 points from my next credit card purchases.

Last week I did the 50,000 Membership Reward points from Fidelity for transferring $100,000 worth of assets into an existing account.

I think it is worth it to me to convert Membership Reward points into just enough Starwood points that my total is 20,000 and then convert that 20,000 into 25,000 miles. I should be a just a shade under 1,000,000 when 12/1 hits.

I also qualified for AAdvantage Gold for next year so I could leisurely fly the remaining miles sometime next year.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For what it's worth, I thought this topic was a bit different than the many-page master threads about the 1MM/2MM programs in general.

If I was only 300k out, I'd probably just close the gap to 200k and then spend a year or so using the credit cards, flying normally, etc. You obviously don't have to get *all* the way there on 12/1, just close enough that you can finish it off with flying and credit card spend.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
For what it's worth, I thought this topic was a bit different than the many-page master threads about the 1MM/2MM programs in general.
However, it's pretty much identical to the one linked two posts above.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
how many thread of this type are really necessary?
The more the merrier. Account balances are fascinating.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
I am 250k away from 2m. Unlike some I have seen in all the threads, I won't abandon AA. But I will rethink the partners. I have enough miles to get where I want to go. I will focus what I can on the 2m best I can. Not like going elsewhere gets me that much further ahead or can do it with more than BIS time.

AMEX platinum makes more sense to get all airline lounges, like Useless when I am flying AA Out of Tampa. But will rethink it as I see my travel plans for next year. Might end up being forced by employer to fly other airlines anyways.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by rmc1
There are 3 AA credit cards not including the new $500 Exec one. You can get bonus points for the personal AMEX, Visa, and then the Business one (can't remember branding). If you have not signed up for all 3 that may be an option to then do what you can to get the sign-up bonus to post before 01 Dec.

If you do spend a decent amount on credit cards a year it may be worth to pay $500 for the Exec Citi AA card as those miles will count towards elite status until Dec 2012.
I have one of the personal cards, I tried to apply for the other. No go.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Slightly less than 800k away from 2MM. Going to give it a shot. I can probably churn 1 more credit card, transfer United miles via Amtrak, transfer SPG points, put $100k in a Fidelity account, put $50k in a TD Ameritrade account, change my electric company, eat ONLY at AA rewards restaurants;

Also, at EXP, I can book do some DFW to PVG runs or maybe BOS to CDG runs.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by krazieman
Going to give it a shot. I can probably churn 1 more credit card, transfer United miles via Amtrak, transfer SPG points...
OK, I'm confused. Let's say you transfer United miles to Amtrak, then what do you do? How do you get them to AA? I see that you can convert Starwood TO Amtrak but do not see that you can convert Amtrak TO Starwood. If you could do that, I could see how Amtrak would work.

I could get quite a bit of Amtrak points but have no idea how to get them into AA. Can anyone help?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:09 pm

Can I somehow move over a bunch of British Airways miles?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:15 pm

Does anyone thing there is any chance of a hotel point transfer bonus this year? If so, it might make sense to wait a bit before moving a lot of SPG points.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: Too many to list
will it be worth to transfer 80K miles from my wife's account to mine to get to 1MM?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
will it be worth to transfer 80K miles from my wife's account to mine to get to 1MM?
Up to you really. After Dec 1, only way is BIS. IF you can get the miles over and willing to pay the minor price and it gets you there, then you have LTG. Otherwise you are still 80k short and need 80k BIS miles, if that is all you need. I am 250K short of 2M. Might buy the 40k miles and pay some stuff early this year on the CC's, but after that, I will probably still be around 200k short. Lots of BIS time before I make LTP. I will enjoy the status I dont needto fight for every year and my upgrades TPA - MIA
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
It depends. What is your current status? How many miles do you fly a year? 1MM is going to get you Gold status. Is that worth the $ to transfer points? You can only transfer 40k miles per year so would have to buy the other 40k. For $1100 you can buy 50k miles as they have 10k bonus until 31 Aug and that way you'd only have to transfer 30k miles. Not sure of the cost to transfer 30k but you'd have to see if the price is worth it to you. Only you can answer that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.