Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Originally Posted by veliger
I can’t believe they are throwing fleet commonality out the window, AA must think they know something LUV does not. That said, with the A320 NEO is a big jump in fuel economy with winglets and new engines at the same time.

I also can’t believe they are buying pre-NEO A320 family aircraft. The current 737 is better than the current A320 family in every way; especially in fuel burn which AA says is important. I guess they are desperate to replace the MD-88's. Or Airbus gave them a super deal on the crappy current A320 to keep the line full until the NEO is out. I can’t imagine anyone in their right mind ordering a pre NEO A320 considering it is inferior to the current competition and far inferior to the new one coming out in two years.
Article in the WSJ several weeks ago indicated Airbus was almost giving away the legacy 320 production before they switch to the neo, and that this give away was a big part of the AA financing deal. Resale on the old type 320 will be very limited. That is probably a big part of why Boeing was slow to re-engine the 737 (fear as to effects of a 737neo on existing 737 type backlog).

Lastly, with the LUV merger, aren't they no longer "one type"? Isn't AS the last?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by UALpremier
I just saw the promotional video during their press conference and it showed the Airbuses with a white fuselage instead of the polished metal . . . think this is just a video short cut?
The mockups on AA's website show something different, the lighting is weird so I can't tell if it's gray or polished metal:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aanews.jsp?cd=110719
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by rowingman
Given the likely inevitable delays in the 320neo entry into service, and Boeing's likely similar delivery, perhaps with delivery penalties and everything else these will be very inexpensive aircraft.
It sounds like AA have managed to secure some current generation aircraft by leveraging an order for the next generation but unless Airbus and Boeing are giving them the existing designs for free, there will still be some costs starting in 2013 (or earlier if they have to put up significant cash).

The neo's, from either Airbus or Boeing, may never happen, but in their present state of c. $1billion a year losses it's far from certain AA will make it to the end of the decade in its present form so the questions may very well be academic.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:48 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Not only restore the SJC hub, but these new planes would enable AA to build up BOS and SFO once again.

And AUS! Don't forget AUS. We still want that MIA flight and those SJC and SNA and SEA and STL and BOS and ORD flights back. Heck, let's toss a couple of more JFK flights on that list as well!

Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:49 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by azmojo
WN has maintained its competitive edge and success by keeping a homogeneous fleet. It is sad and disappointing that AA has learned nothing from them.
There are more factors to WN's success than just a single fleet type. Their entire operating model is different than any of the legacies like AA. They also have no long haul flights that would dictate the need for anything larger than a 737.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by veliger
I can’t believe they are throwing fleet commonality out the window, ...
The argument is that they'll transition from four types (MD80, 757, 762, 737) to two types (737, A320), which is still a simplification.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
It's too bad that most of what is being posted here is negative commentary about a historic and momentous decision that AA has made, which (along with a few more) will significantly increase AA's ability to compete with DL and UA on its own domestically, and with foreign carriers abroad.
Amen. My number one concern - even higher than the country of manufacture of the aircraft - is that AA is still alive and well in 5-10 years. I've made a significant investment in AA flying in large part due to the AAdvantage program. All I want is to keep getting upgrades reasonably often as a gold and to have fantastic opportunities to burn miles (like my CX F trip to Asia this fall). If the new aircraft allow new routes and markets, that'll be gravy.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rowingman
Lastly, with the LUV merger, aren't they no longer "one type"? Isn't AS the last?
Yes, but FL's MD-designed and built 717s "don't count" because of Boeing's acquisition of MD.

Besides, plenty of pundits still think WN will eventually replace them with 737s.

Agree completely with the rest of your post - the old-style A320s are being sold at fire-sale prices, so even if they last only 15-20 years (since A320s have proven to have a much shorter service life than 737s), they are still a pretty economical solution, offsetting the increased expense of maintenance (such as maintaining two sets of spare parts and tooling, training, etc).
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:52 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dittymau
This is good news for the traveling public, I hope with the new planes you can restore the service to SJC and reopen the Admirals Club there!

dittymau
This would be a dream of mine. But I fear that just because they have new planes, they won't necessarily reconsider revitalizing an abandoned location.

(Finally, I can post something in this thread that isn't going to be summarily, and justifiably, deleted )

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ndhapple
And AUS! Don't forget AUS. We still want that MIA flight and those SJC and SNA and SEA and STL and BOS and ORD flights back. Heck, let's toss a couple of more JFK flights on that list as well!

+1^
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:54 am

Let's discuss what REALLY matters!

Originally Posted by hillrider
Do these come with in-seat IFE?
I'm SHOCKED that your post is the only one so far asking the most obvious question - will all this mean a better experience for the consumer while flying the plane? I can't believe people are so passionate about where the plane is going to be manufactured, as opposed to the more pressing concern that fliers will have to deal with - will AA finally introduce seat-back IFE?. There is NO mention of this in any of the promotional material or AA's website. In fact, the photo on AA's website of 737-800 BSI has naked seat back. If AA does not introduce IFE in their all new fleet, it will be a serious disappointment. Be prepared to be stuck with overheads for another 15 years!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by romeoguy
I'm SHOCKED that your post is the only one so far asking the most obvious question - will all this mean a better experience for the consumer while flying the plane? I can't believe people are so passionate about where the plane is going to be manufactured, as opposed to the more pressing concern that fliers will have to deal with - will AA finally introduce seat-back IFE?. There is NO mention of this in any of the promotional material or AA's website. In fact, the photo on AA's website of 737-800 BSI has naked seat back. If AA does not introduce IFE in their all new fleet, it will be a serious disappointment. Be prepared to be stuck with overheads for another 15 years!
AA have already shown that they are not interested in building IFE into their planes, preferring instead to invest in infrastructure to support the entertainment devices that passengers bring with them. There is a link rotating on the front page of aa.com right now about this.

The big upcoming news to watch for on this front will be satellite-based wifi connections for transoceanic flights.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by farrish11
The argument is that they'll transition from four types (MD80, 757, 762, 737) to two types (737, A320), which is still a simplification.
While a bit of a simplification, I think it is essentially true-- the domestic mainline fleet goes from 4 types to 2 (barring the odd widebody utilization flight in a 772 or 763).

Originally Posted by farrish11
Amen. My number one concern - even higher than the country of manufacture of the aircraft - is that AA is still alive and well in 5-10 years. I've made a significant investment in AA flying in large part due to the AAdvantage program. All I want is to keep getting upgrades reasonably often as a gold and to have fantastic opportunities to burn miles (like my CX F trip to Asia this fall). If the new aircraft allow new routes and markets, that'll be gravy.
Exactly my concern as well. The last couple quarters of earnings out of AMR (as compared to UAL and DAL) have worried me enough that I've started burning miles at a faster rate. Amen on the CX F award. Mine's in December
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by ndhapple

+1

especially SEA because Alaska sucks.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bernardd
It's not a given that this will improve their performance - it seems to be laregly a bet on the cost of oil. The cost they're paying for this is enormous lease payments which could well bite them in the butt if circumstances change, just as they bit UA. One of the weird things is AA avoided Chapter 11 in 2002/3 in part because they had more owned aircraft than the other carriers and more flexibility to change the fleet.
AA management's avoiding to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection back then to restructure the company placed AA in a disadvantaged situation compared to the other domestic majors.

EADS' financing arrangements are a pretty sweet deal for AA compared to what AA would otherwise get. That sweetheart financing and the fuel efficiency aspect of the deal may help offset some of the company's disadvantaged position, but by itself those indeed won't make or break AA in an attempt to thrive economically relative to the other US majors.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platnum, Marriott Lifetime Platnum
New Planes--Lie Flat Seats?

Do we know yet if there is a commitment for any 180 degree life FLAT seats with either in 1st Class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.