Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lobo411
They might as well change the name while they're at it. Calling themselves "American" while they put Americans out of work is a slap in the face on top of a shiv in the American people's back.
I'm not quite sure how AA ordering hundreds of aircraft worth billions of dollars from Boeing is putting Americans out of work.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Originally Posted by The Matador
Very disappointed in American for the decision to move 1/2 the order to Airbus.
I think AA had to do this for two reasons.

First of all they knew Airbus would bend over backwards and make sure they got low interest rates and credit. Looking at AA credit and interest rates are a huge factor for its long term survivial. It also made Boeing do the same so they didn't loose the whole order.

Second they want to replace the MD-80s and 767-200s as quickly as possible. They had to split the order up its so massive. I bet we see AA order 319s that is the size they really need.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Would have preferred to see an all-Boeing airline but if the A320 is better for AA's overall strategy and allows them to diversify the fleet I can understand. With this announcement, the only major US carriers with all Boeing fleets will be AS and WN.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Lobo411 - we understand your concern, however as we are operating in a global economy, this investment makes the most sense for our airline and is in the best interest of our employees and customers. We are very proud of our heritage and home in the U.S.
I bet if you had taken a poll of your elites and asked "why did you first choose aa as as your preferred airline," the fact that the fleet was American would be high on the list. To give up this kind of automatic product differentiation between you and the rest of the industry is just foolish.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
Ya I'm kinda bummed they went to Airbus too. My father worked on F-15s in STL so I've always been pro Boeing. I also think Airbus planes are kinda ugly.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Wow, I thought I'd never see AA make an a/c order like this given the Company's uber conservative business nature. Well let the 1,000 plus post thread begin!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
They might as well change the name while they're at it. Calling themselves "American" while they put Americans out of work is a slap in the face on top of a shiv in the American people's back.
The last time I checked, AA is still a publicly traded company whose primary goal is to make a profit and thus return value to the shareholders. If Airbus gave them the better deal, then they'd be negligent to not take them up on that out of some misplaced sense of national pride.

Additionally, with CO and UA combining, AA is the last US legacy to adopt Airbus narrow bodies.

At any rate, I'm interested to see the mix of the variants of the 737NG that will finally be delivered. I won't be surprised to see some -900ERs and -700(ERs). From what I read on CNBC, this order will replace the MD80, the 757 and the 762. Wow.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by The Matador
I'm not European. I'm American.
Aaaahhhh... Yes but THEY are European. Do you see where such generalized narrow-mindedness would lead the world ? No Boeing exports to Europe and no Airbuses in the US. Would the American worker be better off and would airlines have products better fitting their needs ?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:09 am

Shouldn't we be discussing the timing, planes and routes rather than country of origin and grocery shopping? Just trying to get the thread back on topic.

I'm just happy they're getting so many new planes.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: Diamond medallion, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by bdlman
I think AA had to do this for two reasons.

First of all they knew Airbus would bend over backwards and make sure they got low interest rates and credit. Looking at AA credit and interest rates are a huge factor for its long term survivial. It also made Boeing do the same so they didn't loose the whole order.

Second they want to replace the MD-80s and 767-200s as quickly as possible. They had to split the order up its so massive. I bet we see AA order 319s that is the size they really need.
If it's spun as we needed to do this to speed up the process of replacing our fleet, I understand, but lets make sure they start taking delivers very quickly. I can't see how AA will get ahead of the other 1000 orders for the NEO
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Lobo411 - we understand your concern, however as we are operating in a global economy, this investment makes the most sense for our airline and is in the best interest of our employees and customers. We are very proud of our heritage and home in the U.S.
+1 I think buying airbus makes good business sense. And... if being all Boeing is really important, then the tighter relationship with JAL, BA, and Iberia must make those anti airbus folks wake up screaming at night. Bring on the new planes, those MD 80s circa 1987 are starting to spook me.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IFE?

Do these come with in-seat IFE?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
I bet if you had taken a poll of your elites and asked "why did you first choose aa as as your preferred airline," the fact that the fleet was American would be high on the list. To give up this kind of automatic product differentiation between you and the rest of the industry is just foolish.
From an US citizen AA Explat: It ranks ZERO for me. I actually enjoy the extra 1" elbow room per passenger in the A 320s over the B737 as much as I dislike the extra 1" LESS in the MD-80... And even if I wanted to I would find it impossible to avoid Airbuses on all other US majors. Not to mention Jetblue which has a fleet 0% US made.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:15 am

I'd bet if you took a poll, the fact that the fleet was American would not even come up. If anyone thought AA has always bought types built inside of the good ol' USA, their memeory is short.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
I can't believe that AA is taking delivery of 260 320s, equally split between the current model beginning in 2013 and the NEO three years later. How will AA address the issue of its aging 767-300 fleet with this order? How much further can the oldest 767-300s continue to fly as a number of these aircraft are approaching the highest time 767s? I just did a 767-300 transcon a few days ago to SFO and the Purser was telling me that the plane we had had almost 97,000 hours on the airframe.
Interestingly, Thomas Horton was on CNBC today and was pressed by the announcers about complicating the fleet with Airbus planes (from a pilot standpoint). He provided a rather weak answer saying they are "simplifying the fleet" because now they operate 4 different planes domestically...757,737,MD80,762. With the Airbus & 737 replacement they will only have 2 bases of planes and will help simplify the training.

When pressed further and asked is there really a 737 that can accommodate passengers the way the 762 does for transcons he was jammed up with no real answer and proceeded to say sure - we can configure some variants of the 737 with 3 cabins for our transcons.

That'll be an interesting layout...glad I fly DL now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.