Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by hillrider
Do these come with in-seat IFE?
Everyone on airliners.net is hoping so.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by bmchris
Shouldn't we be discussing the timing, planes and routes rather than country of origin and grocery shopping? Just trying to get the thread back on topic.

I'm just happy they're getting so many new planes.
+1. This thread could quickly g downhill. This is why we can have nice things
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:18 am

All this Airbus-hate is nonsense. Boeing have essentially sat on their hands as Airbus wiped the plate with the NEO orders both at Paris and elsewhere. The fuel efficiency of the NEO is simply unrivaled (at least by the current gen 737)- and given AA's financials is a step in the right direction.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
As much as I'm loyal to Boeing as a Seattleite, this seems to make good business sense for AA. Very smart to play the two companies off each other and in the use both to potentially increase the overall aircraft delivery rate.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by The Matador
I'm not European. I'm American.

When the US government spends billions to help Boeing undercut the market, like what has happend with EADS and different government entities, i'll listen. But for now, I remain disappointed with "American Airlines"
You forgot about the Fokker, A300s, BAC111s, BAE146s, or any of the eagle fleet (EMJs, CRJs, ATRs, etc)

Like many, I am an American of European lineage, so it is a win- win for me!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lobo411
I bet if you had taken a poll of your elites and asked "why did you first choose aa as as your preferred airline," the fact that the fleet was American would be high on the list.
This is an absurd an unsubstantiated comment. I believe the number would be in the low single digits...perhaps a fraction of a single digit. People choose an airline because of price and routing.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:45 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by bdlman
I think AA had to do this for two reasons.

First of all they knew Airbus would bend over backwards and make sure they got low interest rates and credit. Looking at AA credit and interest rates are a huge factor for its long term survivial. It also made Boeing do the same so they didn't loose the whole order.

Second they want to replace the MD-80s and 767-200s as quickly as possible. They had to split the order up its so massive. I bet we see AA order 319s that is the size they really need.
Exactly. If AA wanted to get rid of their MD-80's before the end of this decade, they had to bring Airbus into the equation. Boeing simply can't turn out the 737's quickly enough for AA's needs.

They're taking a batch of about 130 current generation A320's to speed retirement of the MD-80's. The current A320's offer a fuel savings of about 15-20%. That's going to add up to a lot of change if JetA prices stick well above $3 a gallon.

The massive Airbus order also gives AA an option if Boeing's neo737 program gets stuck in the same sort of development hell that has plagued the 787.

Here's another thing to consider. Provided the fleet is larger than 50-100 aircraft, there really isn't a significant increase in overall operating costs. So it won't really cost AA anything extra to have a fleet of neo320's and current generation A320's.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:47 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I hope this doesn't mean the domestic 757 refurbishment project gets put on hold once again! To the extent AA gets 737-900ERs or A321s closer to 2013 than 2017 to replace the 757s, I wonder whether they will be spending money on frames that could be retired in just 2 years.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
At any rate, I'm interested to see the mix of the variants of the 737NG that will finally be delivered. I won't be surprised to see some -900ERs and -700(ERs). From what I read on CNBC, this order will replace the MD80, the 757 and the 762. Wow.
OK. So if AA is replacing 767 with 737/A320, does this mean we are losing widebodies on what's left of our transcons? Would hate to fly in a 737 in place of a 767 for 6 hours, and we'll lose plenty of first/business class seats, no?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:52 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by jefftf1
OK. So if AA is replacing 767 with 737/A320, does this mean we are losing widebodies on what's left of our transcons? Would hate to fly in a 737 in place of a 767 for 6 hours, and we'll lose plenty of first/business class seats, no?
Wild Speculation: They would probably engineer a United-PS like subfleet that utilizes either the A321 or the 739.

Also, they could move the current 767-300's to transcontinental service as they start taking 787 deliveries.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: AAEXP, and every other one on the planet
Exciting News- now bring back SJC service and AC

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Good morning!

We wanted to take a minute to share some exciting news with you! As many of you have already speculated, American Airlines has placed an order for 460 narrowbody planes from Boeing & Airbus. This marks the largest aircraft purchase in history, and we’re excited to start serving you aboard the youngest and most fuel-efficient fleet among our US airline peers within approximately the next five years.

We’ll be livestreaming the press conference with CEO Gerard Arpey at 10am CT on the American Airlines Facebook page. Be sure to join us here: http://on.fb.me/AASTREAM

For the full press release, click here: http://bit.ly/AAFLEET1
This is good news for the traveling public, I hope with the new planes you can restore the service to SJC and reopen the Admirals Club there!

dittymau
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by dw
I hope this doesn't mean the domestic 757 refurbishment project gets put on hold once again! To the extent AA gets 737-900ERs or A321s closer to 2013 than 2017 to replace the 757s, I wonder whether they will be spending money on frames that could be retired in just 2 years.
I strongly suspect that AA will phase out the MD-80s first as these new deliveries come in and only move to phasing out 757s once the MD-80s are gone.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:57 am

Not something to look forward to, but a likely scenario

Originally Posted by jefftf1
That is one of the "bonuses" of a more efficent aircraft, smaller airplanes with less fuel capacity can fly farther... so the future is full on single aisle airplanes coast to coast... I fondly remember the days of TWA 747 planes from JFK to SFO/LA...

dittymau
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ashill
I strongly suspect that AA will phase out the MD-80s first as these new deliveries come in and only move to phasing out 757s once the MD-80s are gone.
Given that the oldest 757 is already 22 years old, I'll bet that some 757s are retired well before the last MD-80 heads to Vacaville.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:02 am

Sigh- I will really miss the 757- Ferrari of an airplane

Originally Posted by dw
I will always remember the rush of a 757 takeoff from SNA John Wayne Airport, I have always loved this plane with the Rolls Royce engines, I guess that is where FedEX will get frames for cargo conversions from per their plan...

dittymau

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.