Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Airbus has cracked into AA. Boeing will have to fight harder in the years ahead, no less so if AA marries another industry player.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Interestingly, Thomas Horton was on CNBC today and was pressed by the announcers about complicating the fleet with Airbus planes (from a pilot standpoint). He provided a rather weak answer saying they are "simplifying the fleet" because now they operate 4 different planes domestically...757,737,MD80,762. With the Airbus & 737 replacement they will only have 2 bases of planes and will help simplify the training.

When pressed further and asked is there really a 737 that can accommodate passengers the way the 762 does for transcons he was jammed up with no real answer and proceeded to say sure - we can configure some variants of the 737 with 3 cabins for our transcons.

That'll be an interesting layout...glad I fly DL now.
I think the 737s are the only option for the transcons in the next two years. However as the 767300s age in the next two years, I can't see how AA will begin to replace them for the Europe and South America routes. Sure, the 777s can cover the larger cities and there are increasing numbers of them arriving. Does this mean that the 757 fleet will be called on to pick up many of the overwater routes? The implication of this order is that AA widebodies will disappear on the transcon routes as the 767 223s and 323s are taken out of service. A good number of the 323s have flown more than any of the 223s.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider
Do these come with in-seat IFE?
They could, but it depends on what AA wants to entertain in terms of paying and how AA wants it to be paid.

AA seems intent on better in-flight in-seat entertainment and wi-fi availability on the planes in this order, so I'd expect it will continue to stay on the radar as already agreed.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:14 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
I think the 737s are the only option for the transcons in the next two years. However as the 767300s age in the next two years, I can't see how AA will begin to replace them for the Europe and South America routes. Sure, the 777s can cover the larger cities and there are increasing numbers of them arriving. Does this mean that the 757 fleet will be called on to pick up many of the overwater routes? The implication of this order is that AA widebodies will disappear on the transcon routes as the 767 223s and 323s are taken out of service. A good number of the 323s have flown more than any of the 223s.
The 787's are supposed to replace the 767-300's on the South American as well as European routes and their extra range should give AA the opportunity to launch some more Asia service as well.

The question is when can AA expect those 787's to be delivered? The program is already running about 3 years behind schedule.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by The Matador
Very disappointed in American for the decision to move 1/2 the order to Airbus.
Ridiculous.

Originally Posted by The Matador
I'm not European. I'm American.

When the US government spends billions to help Boeing undercut the market, like what has happend with EADS and different government entities, i'll listen. But for now, I remain disappointed with "American Airlines"
And Boeing isn't guilty? Look at the 767-A330 talker deal. The A330 was better all around.

Originally Posted by bdlman
I think AA had to do this for two reasons.

First of all they knew Airbus would bend over backwards and make sure they got low interest rates and credit. Looking at AA credit and interest rates are a huge factor for its long term survivial. It also made Boeing do the same so they didn't loose the whole order.

Second they want to replace the MD-80s and 767-200s as quickly as possible. They had to split the order up its so massive. I bet we see AA order 319s that is the size they really need.
^
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:19 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lobo411
I bet if you had taken a poll of your elites and asked "why did you first choose aa as as your preferred airline," the fact that the fleet was American would be high on the list. To give up this kind of automatic product differentiation between you and the rest of the industry is just foolish.
Sure means squat to us. I could not care less where the planes come from. I drive a German car,and mrs. brp's is Japanese. Why? Because they were the best value for the money given what we wanted. Apparently AA thought the same thing with the Airbus purchase.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:25 am
Suspended

It's to take 5 years until AA is scheduled to have the youngest fleet amongst the US majors.

Given high fuel costs, relatively poor fuel consumption of a somewhat older fleet and a labor-related cost situation relatively disadvantageous compared to other US carriers (which took more recent advantage of bankruptcy protection restructuring), five year's may end up being a lot of years for AA to survive and deal with bankruptcy risks if fuel prices remain high.

Most ticket-buying customers pay no attention to the manufacturing location of the plane scheduled to operate their flight, so the petty, pseudo-patriotism on display in relation to Boeing losing out a bit to Airbus doesn't really change much of anything for most customers.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Semi-OT

A bit off-topic but I would have liked to watch the Press Conference Stream...

Originally Posted by FACEBOOK
Ustream Live is requesting permission to do the following:

Access my basic information
Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've shared with everyone.
Access my profile information
Likes, Music, TV, Movies, Books, Quotes
...Yeah, maybe not...
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Platinum; HH Gold: Marriott; SPG Gold
I bet if you had taken a poll of your elites and asked "why did you first choose aa as as your preferred airline," the fact that the fleet was American would be high on the list. To give up this kind of automatic product differentiation between you and the rest of the industry is just foolish.
I call B#&&**it on your statement. Do you have any data to substantiate your claim?

Also, you do realize that even if the Airbus is non-American as you put it, there will still be a fairly large component of the aircraft that will be American right? I mean things like avionics, various structural components, engines.....etc. Also, if AA had chosen the Boeing's exclusively, then what proportion of those airplanes are built in the US. Is it 100%? If not, should AA not buy the Boeing's? Should AA accept a 100% US plane, even if it is inferior in regards to capability or price? Is this how a business should be run?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting local/national businesses, but they have to provide a competitive product. If not, you choose the product that best addresses the needs of the business/consumer.

CN.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brp
Because they were the best value for the money given what we wanted.
Hope you're not including the wife in that statement!!

Only messing - of course!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ndhapple
Wild Speculation: They would probably engineer a United-PS like subfleet that utilizes either the A321 or the 739.

Also, they could move the current 767-300's to transcontinental service as they start taking 787 deliveries.
Definitely agree. It is no secret that PS has been wildly profitable for UA whereas AA's transcons are marginally profitable, breakeven, or lose boatloads depending on the sources you listen to. What has been proven is that UA's yield and margin is a lot higher than AA's so it wouldn't surprise me that they use this new order and fleet simplification as "rationale" for moving to a PS model with a low density narrowbody configuration. The 737-900ER is almost as long as the 757 (maybe 15 feet shorter) so it could probably handle a similar capacity.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Given that the oldest 757 is already 22 years old, I'll bet that some 757s are retired well before the last MD-80 heads to Vacaville.
I'm sure the MD-80 appreciates your attribution of prestige, but the planes go to Victorville, not wine country.

As far as the Airbus order is concerned, I'm okay with it but do think it's absolutely foolish of AA to take delivery of 130 old technology aircraft. I mean, they obviously got them for free, and free is good, but I suspect it's going to cost them big down the road in terms of fuel, not being able to interchange them with 737s and 320neos due to range constraints, etc.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
As an elite for many years now, I can confirm that the fleet being American had NOTHING to do with my decision to fly AA.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Interestingly, Thomas Horton was on CNBC today and was pressed by the announcers about complicating the fleet with Airbus planes (from a pilot standpoint). He provided a rather weak answer saying they are "simplifying the fleet" because now they operate 4 different planes domestically...757,737,MD80,762. With the Airbus & 737 replacement they will only have 2 bases of planes and will help simplify the training.

When pressed further and asked is there really a 737 that can accommodate passengers the way the 762 does for transcons he was jammed up with no real answer and proceeded to say sure - we can configure some variants of the 737 with 3 cabins for our transcons.

That'll be an interesting layout...glad I fly DL now.
For such a large airline, fleet simplification is probably over-rated. However, there is a lot to be said for going with two major NB fleets (737 and 320).

Regarding the 762: Likely the A321 or A321NEO will be used to perform many 762 missions, especially transcons. Not quite as comfortable, but CASM is far superior.

I think this is a good deal for AA, A, and B. B will have to work hard over the coming years with its 737RE and 797 prototypes. Bombardier is probably disappointed about the C series, but we'll see what DL does.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
Originally Posted by jefftf1
I'm not quite sure how AA ordering hundreds of aircraft worth billions of dollars from Boeing is putting Americans out of work.
I'd submit it's likely to create some jobs. These planes have to be supported, and AA is known as a company that sets up a nice maintenance facility that is used by other airlines. I'm just guessing, but it's likely going to result in upskilling and new hires to maintain a completely new product mix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.