Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Places Order for 460 Narrowbody Planes from Boeing & Airbus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WHBM
The aircraft engineering world still doesn't understand how Boeing are proposing to do it, which is surely a concern. Let's hope Boeing are not once again going into "The Emperor Has No Clothes" mode again, after their recent experiences.

The A320 sits higher off the ground than the B737, which is why putting a larger engine on it as been straightforward. The B737 already had its engine as close to the ground as was sensible, so needs much more work to put the new engine on. If you make the landing gear legs longer there are a whole range of ancillary issues that come into play, like they then don't fit into the existing wheel wells, which in turn cannot be easily enlarged, and so on. They can use an engine of the same new generation but not quite so large (which simplistically you do by using a smaller fan, because this is the key determinant of overall diameter), but then start to lose all the efficiency the new engine was to deliver. Etc.

So. How can Boeing announce a new type without knowing how to do it yet ?
While a larger fan can make the engine itself more efficient, it adds weight and creates more drag, reducing the efficiency of the airframe. It is a very complex trade off, particularly if you're trying to optimize the aircraft for multiple missions.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Absolutely! And the 737 has a pretty low wing to boot.

That's why Boeing is faced with the dilemma of promising performance - yet stuck at determining whether a 66.1" or 68.1" fan will work best (be usable and provide the numbers they want).

Originally Posted by sxf24
While a larger fan can make the engine itself more efficient, it adds weight and creates more drag, reducing the efficiency of the airframe. It is a very complex trade off, particularly if you're trying to optimize the aircraft for multiple missions.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:24 am

I am sorry, but how can you possibly state I am "taking Boeing's claims seriously" when I am merely repeating / reporting them (and making my own skeptical comments)?

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I am sorry, but how can you take Boeing's claims seriously? ...

Color me very skeptical. Something smells fishy about this story.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Absolutely! And the 737 has a pretty low wing to boot.

That's why Boeing is faced with the dilemma of promising performance - yet stuck at determining whether a 66.1" or 68.1" fan will work best (be usable and provide the numbers they want).
I know people that have been working on the 737 re-engine project for years. It is not something started for the AA sales campaign and I would imagine that Boeing (like Airbus) has lots of data to back-up its marketing claims.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: Various
Interesting that I see information at airports stating "Youngest fleet" when it hasn't happened yet.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:48 am

It could be the most imaginative and active people working at AA are in the PR department.

Originally Posted by Robt760
Interesting that I see information at airports stating "Youngest fleet" when it hasn't happened yet.

True, but these are new engines (both P&W "PurePower" series and CFM LEAP-1B) so both Airbus and Boeing are working hard to figure it all out to finalize design and production - but flogging their marketing people mercilessly . In the end, as another poster mentioned, most aircraft come out of the box a bit short of the promises on weight and performance (and some very much so like the Convair 880 and 990, the ultimate downfall of Convair as a commercial aircraft manufacturer).

Originally Posted by sxf24
I know people that have been working on the 737 re-engine project for years. It is not something started for the AA sales campaign and I would imagine that Boeing (like Airbus) has lots of data to back-up its marketing claims.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 1, 2011 at 10:53 am
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Bloomberg (and others) reports that Southwest gets the prestige (headaches?) of becoming the formal 737MAX launch customer.

http://www.bloomberg.com/article/201...4ef1X9.v0.html
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Bloomberg (and others) reports that Southwest gets the prestige (headaches?) of becoming the formal 737MAX launch customer.

http://www.bloomberg.com/article/201...4ef1X9.v0.html
While there's always some teething problems with a new aircraft, the 737MAX should go smoothly. It will be built locally in Renton by an experienced 737 production line with a minimum of outsourcing. Also, since Southwest is Boeing's best 737 customer I would imagine extra special care will be taken to get it right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.