Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by JumboD
It actually makes a lot of sense (and this is as an Amex holder). They have to keep membership attractive in some way, and if Amex Plat had all the benefits of full membership, who'd ever purchase the latter?

Now, if you are talking about the attitudes of the staff (vs. the granting of benefits such as free wifi, entry even w/o same-day AA ticket, etc), that's a different story. I've never felt that I was treated poorly as an Amex Plat, though I've seen some "unwritten" benefits bestowed upon members.
Agreed. As discussed in a number of other threads, the primary benefits of AC membership for AmEx Platinum cardholders are the "intangibles". Since I've been helped out in a number of situations due to my AC membership (not due to my ability to access the AC as an AmEx Platinum cardholder), I keep paying my AC dues in addition to my AmEx fees.

If at some point it becomes crystal clear that this new Executive card gives an AC membership status that is identical to traditional paying members, such that the "intangibles" are identical, then I'd consider getting it. Paying a bit more per year to add on the Executive card benefits in addition to full AC membership wouldn't be bad in that case.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA
I apply yesterday and call them to finalize the process, the first question I ask was if I can upgrade my platinum MC to this new one, the activation representative did not have the answer and put me on conference to the customer service department of citi, she told me this can not be done.

Also they told me that I have a maximum credit limit with citi with both AA Amex and AA Master Card, they will have to lower the credit limit of my MC by $5000 and add that to the new card for a total of $10000 on the new one, on the platinum I have $36.000 - $5000 = $31.000, my plan was to cancel the platinum MC and stay only with the Executive one.

At the end, paying $450 with less credit limit was not an option.

If anybody know the specifics on how to upgrade please let Us know
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by JumboD
Amex has only added benefits from the perspective of AA and DL flyers: the PP membership was likely due to the elimination of CO PC access, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for AA to eliminate this benefit from Amex Plat members. More likely Amex will eliminate the benefit because they don't want to pay whatever price AA asks of them.

In my ideal world, AA would make a continued partnership with Amex contingent upon Amex making a huge AAdvantage mile spend and allowing the conversion of MR points to AA miles,a la DL.
Oh, would I love that. I'm not much of a Delta flyer and have not taken advantage of any of their transfer bonuses, but I would seriously consider a transfer to AA, my primary carrier. Of course, you currently can go roundabout and achieve the same end with a transfer to BA, but at least under the current AA system, you'd get the added benefit of more lifetime miles with a direct transfer to AAdvantage. As an American flyer, I'm just a bit concerned that the relationship between AA and Amex is drifting apart rather than together. A sure sign of further drifting apart would be the end of access to AA lounges (and might possibly explain why Amex took a preemptive strike by recently adding a fair number of benefits).
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Post #85 says otherwise.

While you can possibly get the annual fee waiver, it's not really a published benefit on the current CitiAAdvantage World Elite MC; it does state in the T&Cs that the annual fee is $85, so it has to be included as a cost comparison.

Otherwise it's like saying an apple costs 50 cents at Store A versus 65 cents at Store B, but apples shouldn't be counted because one can ask for the fee waived if Store B has a negotiable "find a lower apple price and it's yours free" policy. The term negotiable is key here because it may or may not work at all times.

Furthermore, calling the retention number and pretending to cancel the card for the sole purpose of hoping to be retained and get the annual fee waived is also a risky move; some have mentioned that there was no negotiating at all and the agent just cancelled it. And of course, there's no recourse because the agent did what the caller said.

Noting that the "calling retention dept. to get the annual fee waived" is a variable outcome, it's better to use the $85 annual fee as stated in the T&Cs of the current CitiAAdvantage World Elite MC.
Not factored in for consideration in your presentation is the potential for 10,000 eqms, important to me for EXP re-qualification. If I was able to buy two r/t transcons for a mileage run @ $200 each (very rare) that would add another $400 benefit, plus you wouldn't have to take the flights!
I'm thinking about it for next year.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Rental Car Insurance??

Anyone know if this coverage is primary or secondary? I'm currently fighting wih Thrifty and a primary rental car benefit would be a real plus for me!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by Ross0
Indeed, the Citigold/Private Bank division has confirmed that one can upgrade their other card. Of course, clients of that division do not pay yearly fees for the non-executive card, but would pay a fee for this executive card.
Is this info you received from someone at Citi (e.g., your Private Banker)? Is there any discount on the fee for CPB?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:33 pm

About the only thing that makes it remotely appealing is no FOREX fees, oh wait my AX plat card already offers that. It is probably something I would have been interested in a few years ago, but I'll stick with AX and CB for now.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
About the only thing that makes it remotely appealing is no FOREX fees, oh wait my AX plat card already offers that. It is probably something I would have been interested in a few years ago, but I'll stick with AX and CB for now.
IMO, I probably wouldn't be able to charge 40k a year to get the 10k EQM benefit, but the no forex fee and the EMV chip would be a big plus for me as I do spend more than $500 abroad.

Will be willing to do it if the upgrade from my current CitiAAdvantage World Elite MC is simple to do and if I'm able to still keep my Citi AMEX with no annual fee so long as the MC is open as it currently is.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Delta Gold
In case this experience helps anyone.

Like others, I called to upgrade one of my existing cards (preferably my MC platinum select I just got a couple of weeks ago). I was told I couldn't upgrade and would have to apply.

I originally got denied since I had just applied for and received both a business and personal card in the last 2 weeks (pushing for 2 million miles and wanted the 75k bonus hehe).

However, after explaining that what I really wanted to do was switch cards because I like the benefits of this new one better (which is true) and wasn't looking for any more credit they lowered the credit line for the mastercard I just got and then approved me for the new card (at about $5k higher credit than they lowered my old one on).

For me, I think this will be a nice card. I can use this and not renew my admirals club membership and the no foreign transaction fee will definitely be big for me, so that easily pays the "fee" right there. The EQM is a really nice bonus as well as the 2:1 miles for American.

Last edited by modulen; Jul 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I hope AA and Citi is looking at this thread to see if they can make this card easily "upgradeable" from exisiting Citi AAdvantage cardholders. For some, this card is quite a beneficial upgrade from the stand point of AC membership (auto-renewal so to speak), 2:1 earnings on AA purchases, and the 10k EQM bonus.

And speaking of which, the physical card itself is also an upgrade with the added EMV chip capability and IMO, is a definite improvement than the mag-stripe that's being phased out outside of the US. ^

Last edited by kebosabi; Jul 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
Is this info you received from someone at Citi (e.g., your Private Banker)?
Yes.

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
Is there any discount on the fee for CPB?
No.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:16 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

And speaking of which, the physical card itself is also an upgrade with the added EMV chip capability and IMO, is a definite improvement than the mag-stripe that's being phased out outside of the US.
I had no idea that you were concerned about chips in credit cards

I hope I'm misinterpreting what I read in your quote and that they'll have both the chip and the stripe since we still need the latter here in the US...for now, anyway.

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Ross0,

Here are some answers for you!
  1. The fee will not be waived.
  2. This card does provide the primary cardholder full Admirals Club benefits, including access to the T-Mobile HotSpot Internet. You will need your AAdvantage number and password to access.
Can AA please clarify whether the card grants actual membership as opposed to simply access? In other words, would a card holder actually receive an AC card and be considered an Admirals Club member?

Thanks,
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I hope I'm misinterpreting what I read in your quote and that they'll have both the chip and the stripe since we still need the latter here in the US...for now, anyway.
Considering that Chase and US Bank are offering cards with both the mag-strip and the EMV chip (plus the contactless on the US Bank FlexPerks VISA), it makes sense for Citibank to do the same for cards targeted toward international travelers.

It's like a cell phone, why spend $300 on a cell phone that only works in the US, when for about the same price or lower, you can buy a cell phone that works both in the US and abroad?

If Citi wants to keep up with their financial competitors targeting international travelers, having an EMV chip along with the mag-stripe is a vital key.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jul 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Considering that Chase and US Bank are offering cards with both the mag-strip and the EMV chip (plus the contactless on the US Bank FlexPerks VISA), it makes sense for Citibank to do the same for cards targeted toward international travelers.

It's like a cell phone, why spend $300 on a cell phone that only works in the US, when for about the same price or lower, you can buy a cell phone that works both in the US and abroad?

If Citi wants to keep up with their financial competitors targeting international travelers, having an EMV chip along with the mag-stripe is a vital key.
Oh, I completely agree that the chip is necessary. While I've had good luck abroad with a stripe-only card, I figure it's just a question of time until I'm outright denied. As it is, I've had them look at me a little funny and then go to get a stripe reader. I just wanted to make sure that it still had both...and it sounds like it does.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.