Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Wild Speculation - American would cancel contracts with American Express and go their way, once this card hit the market and the demand becomes saturated, like CO PP. American Express would forgo the option of point transfer from AMex to AA.

It might eventually happen in a couple of years, once AA can balance their finance a little better with the aircraft replacement along the way.
That is indeed wild speculation on two points:

(1) "American Express would forgo the option of point transfer from AMex to AA." If you mean membership rewards, I was under the impression you already cannot do so. If you mean the citi-issued amex-network cards, then that makes no sense.

(2) "American would cancel contracts with American Express and go their way, once this card hit the market and the demand becomes saturated, like CO PP." Citi's contract with Amex to be able to use their network to issue cards is the result of a huge lawsuit that happened. What does either party gain by ending it?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2.9MM, Amex Plat, CO Silv, HH Gld, SPG Gld, Hyatt Plat, IC Amb, and... Starbucks Gold (wow!)
Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
Why cant people either respond politely (pointing out an error if there is one) or not respond at all? Am I the only one getting tired of the seemingly endless rudeness that permeates some of these threads?
Thanks for this appropriate intervention. Applies to this and all threads.

On the subject: IMHO it seems that the 10K EQM have an intrinsic value higher than any bonus miles eventually left on the table by not using Amex SPG. I'm starting to believe that a combination of this new Citi Executive card with Amex Plat will give me all the tools I can ever need for comfort while traveling, and that the cost an be partially offset by canceling all my other Citi, Chase and non-Plat Amex cards. BTW: the promise of an embedded chip on the card later this year is a clear bonus.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2.9MM, Amex Plat, CO Silv, HH Gld, SPG Gld, Hyatt Plat, IC Amb, and... Starbucks Gold (wow!)
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
To clarify - The Citi Executive Card does provide Admirals Club membership, however you will not receive a traditional membership card. Your executive card will serve as Admirals Club membership.
To further clarify: the back of the card prominently features the Admirals Club name and logo, and is essentially an AC membership card in itself. Also , bear in mind that Amex Plat only allows AC access when you're flying AA, which is not the case here. I don't see this as an overlap with Amex Plat (including the PriorityPass Select benefit): it is actually a nice complement, especially for us who fly AA.

I value AA miles way more that MR points, and this card can apparently fill this important void left by my Amex Plat. The EMV chip is a definitive breakthrough, and truly priceless (pun intended).
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by captainramius
To further clarify: the back of the card prominently features the Admirals Club name and logo, and is essentially an AC membership card in itself.
Thanks for the confirmation. It definitely makes perfect sense; AA saves money in issuing and sending out Admirals Club cards year after year.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
With due respect, your airport-only experience is limited.

Try living/traveling 50% of your time abroad and you'll find not having the chip a debilitating limitation "around town" - particularly in countries that have gone virtually "chip only".
Used the card all around town. No problems where I didn't expect them. Had cash for the train, etc.

Again, overblown if you plan ahead and have cash (which you need for tipping anyway since most places that took cards for food didn't include a tip line on the receipt or the handheld card machine and every machine I saw or interacted with had both a chipcard slot and a magnetic reader slot).
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mreed911
Used the card all around town. No problems where I didn't expect them. Had cash for the train, etc.

Again, overblown if you plan ahead and have cash (which you need for tipping anyway since most places that took cards for food didn't include a tip line on the receipt or the handheld card machine and every machine I saw or interacted with had both a chipcard slot and a magnetic reader slot).
Paying in cash earns no rewards!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
To clarify, per the terms and conditions, “…
Understood. Unfortunate that the advertising copy wasn't more accurate.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Nexus One Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by Ross0
Can AA please clarify whether the card grants actual membership as opposed to simply access? In other words, would a card holder actually receive an AC card and be considered an Admirals Club member?

Thanks,
To clarify - The Citi Executive Card does provide Admirals Club membership, however you will not receive a traditional membership card. Your executive card will serve as Admirals Club membership.
What about Qantas Club and Boardroom access?

Hard to believe that those agents will recognize this card.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
I received my card today via UPS Next Day. Quite the presentation for a credit card. They seem to have taken a lesson from Amex Centurion.

Last edited by thomdis; Jul 26, 2011 at 8:02 pm Reason: URLs
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Nexus One Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

What about Qantas Club and Boardroom access?

Hard to believe that those agents will recognize this card.

I hope that AA can follow-up here. I'm concerned about losing prior access to partner clubs because I'm not carrying the "Official Admiral's Club Card".
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: AA LTP, Delta Gold
[QUOTE=thomdis;16803919]I received my card today via UPS Next Day. Quite the presentation for a credit card. They seem to have taken a lesson from Amex Centurion.
/QUOTE]

That's the way I felt. Never seen such a strong presentation for a credit card. It doesn't matter in any substantitive way, I guess, but I thought it was a nice touch.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by thomdis
I received my card today via UPS Next Day. Quite the presentation for a credit card. They seem to have taken a lesson from Amex Centurion.
So I take it that it has no chip yet?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kebosabi
So I take it that it has no chip yet?
No chip. Yet.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Called yesterday to see I could convert my old MC to this one and they said yes but without the bonus miles.

After a long conversation with the supervisor to see what he could do for me considering my yearly spend, they said that it being a new product, they could not give me the bonus miles.

His advice to me was to cancel the MC and reapply in Jan 2012 to get this card and get the bonus mile offer. By then it won't be as new and they may even add addtl bonus miles.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:15 am
21A

So is there a sort of pseudo-status entry in cardholders' AAdvantage accounts that automatically grants PriorityAAccess boarding, bag fee waivers, etc? Or does one have to present the plastic card for these benefits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.