Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Ross0
Can AA please clarify whether the card grants actual membership as opposed to simply access? In other words, would a card holder actually receive an AC card and be considered an Admirals Club member?

Thanks,
+1. Clarification on this part would be appreciated.

If one is already an AC member, upon application and approval of the Citi Exec card, will it note in AA's AC system that he's renewed and the card itself to become the AC card?

For example, L Walker is an AC member since 2001 and he's up for renewal in August. Meaning, he has an AC membership card that reads "member since 2001" and "expires 08/31/2011."

If he's approved for the Citi Exec card, will the Citi Exec card take over his AC membership and automatically issue him a renewed AC card? Or does L Walker let the AC membership he's had since 2001 lapse on 8/31/2011 and he would now just enter the AC with the Citi Exec card starting 9/1/2011?

Last edited by kebosabi; Jul 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:41 pm

Can AA please clarify whether the card grants actual membership as opposed to simply access? In other words, would a card holder actually receive an AC card and be considered an Admirals Club member?

Thanks,
Ross0, hopefully an official representative will chime in, but I interpret the terms to say that you'll get access, but will not get an AC membership card. If you go to the card application page on Citi's website and read footnote 2 Award Program Information/, you'll see the following:

To access the Admirals Club® lounge, the primary cardmember must present (i) his or her AAdvantage® number, (ii) his or her current government-issued I.D., (iii) his or her open and valid Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® , and (iv) any additional required documentation. (Emphasis mine.)

If they were planning on issuing AC membership cards, I would expect the terms to reflect this.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by hotelierLA
To access the Admirals Club® lounge, the primary cardmember must present (i) his or her AAdvantage® number, (ii) his or her current government-issued I.D., (iii) his or her open and valid Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® , and (iv) any additional required documentation. (Emphasis mine.)

If they were planning on issuing AC membership cards, I would expect the terms to reflect this.
Or, the Citi Exec Card itself would act as the renewed AC membership card as well. In a way, it makes sense for AA to add this benefit to save on costs of issuing and sending out renewed AC membership cards year after year to those that already have access through the Citi Exec Card, no?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Indeed, the Citigold/Private Bank division has confirmed that one can upgrade their other card. Of course, clients of that division do not pay yearly fees for the non-executive card, but would pay a fee for this executive card.
And yet, somehow, as a Citigold customer, I was always charged the annual fee for my Aadvantage cards. Whenever I noticed and called, it was immediately taken off, but I got tired of having to act as a policeman for nonsense like this and moved most of my business elsewhere.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Bucanero

At the end, paying $450 with less credit limit was not an option.

I could not agree more. I just dropped an application for the card for this very reason. My existing Aadvantage card has a limit of 40K. Unless they can match that with the new card (they were only willing to go to 18K), then it is no go for me. The reason is that I am going to be buying two AONE4s later this year (for about 35K) and Citibank won't approve that (even if I prepay the funds!) unless the credit limit is at least that high.

The insane thing is that I offered to let them lower the credit limit on the existing card to pretty much anything they wanted (I need a tiny bit there because of some autopay stuff), but no go. I also would be happy to simply convert the existing card. As you say, they can't do it.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Or, the Citi Exec Card itself would act as the renewed AC membership card as well. In a way, it makes sense for AA to add this benefit to save on costs of issuing and sending out renewed AC membership cards year after year to those that already have access through the Citi Exec Card, no?
Good point. The terms do mention that those with existing AC memberships expiring in 60+ days are eligible for partial refunds, suggesting an overlap between the Citi card and a traditional AC membership. On the other hand, there is no mention of access to Qantas lounges on the Citi card's page.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by JumboD
Now, if it were like DL, where you had multiple opportunities to get bonus EQM and could get 10k immediately and another 30k by spending 60k (would have to combine work and personal purchases on one card), then it's a better looking deal.

I don't advocate AA offering that generous a bonus, so as not to overfill the elite ranks too much.
I agree with the latter sentiment: EQMs without flying can't help but swell the ranks (although perhaps it would be offset by fewer FTers buying O and Q fare transcons for 3 cents a mile in October, taking up the inventory I need to get to New York? ).

Originally Posted by edbyu
T-Mobile HotSpot? I thought T-mobile was being replaced by AT&T Wi-Fi?!
The T-Mobile US/AT&T merger is announced, but hasn't received regulatory approval and thus hasn't closed. To avoid antitrust action, AT&T and T-Mobile US must continue to act as competitors until the merger closes, and thus there are no announced plans to merge T-Mobile HotSpots with AT&T's WiFi offerings.

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
If it was the same as DL, they'd also let you get another card for your wife that could give an additional 30k EQM to you and would let you get a Platinum version that gave 20k EQM.

80k EQM annually with $170k spend.

Sure that's a lot of spend, but not too far out of the realm of possibility if your company does a reimbursement (like mine).

If only I flew DL I'd be a guaranteed Plat Medallion annually and Diamond for only 35k BIS...

Would be nice to get that on AA!
If AA EXPs could qualify while only flying ten or twenty thousand miles a year, I'd find a new airline. That would be way too many benefits for way too little flying, and would drive up competition for the limited number of upgrade and award seats available for all of us. In fact, if AAirpass weren't so expensive (and thus very high yield), I'd consider it silly that AAirpass customers can hit EXP with only 33,334 BIS miles as it is now. However, given the cost of AAirpass, I can understand it in those cases--just not for someone who picks up a few credit cards and flies every now and then.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
If Citi wants to keep up with their financial competitors targeting international travelers, having an EMV chip along with the mag-stripe is a vital key.
Agreed. This is why I moved some of my accounts away from US institutions. My new financial providers in the UK provide cards with chips and magnetic stripes -- so no problems on either side of the Atlantic.

Originally Posted by Microwave
The T-Mobile US/AT&T merger is announced, but hasn't received regulatory approval and thus hasn't closed. To avoid antitrust action, AT&T and T-Mobile US must continue to act as competitors until the merger closes, and thus there are no announced plans to merge T-Mobile HotSpots with AT&T's WiFi offerings.
Oh ok -- I must have been confused. I didn't think the change from T-Mobile wifi to AT&T wifi was related to the merger at all. I thought it was an independent switch that became possible when the contract between T-Mobile and the ACs expired.

Seconded / thirded / etc.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Agreed. This is why I moved some of my accounts away from US institutions. My new financial providers in the UK provide cards with chips and magnetic stripes -- so no problems on either side of the Atlantic.
+1. This is also why I keep my AAdvantage Classic VISA card issued by Resona Japan open and avoid using my CitiAAdvantage card in Japan.

Granted it only earns 1 mi per 200 yen spend because it's a classic card, it's still a good back up card because it has both the chip and the mag-stripe. Saved me when I had to pay for the cab in Fukuoka when the cab driver only had a chip reader instead of a mag-stripe reader. ^

If Citi and AA is reading this, I think they really should push the benefit of having the EMV chip more in comparison to other cards out there. Good way to market back against UA & Chase's compare and contrast consumer chart which shows a CitiAAdvantage VISA
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:36 pm

IMO, I probably wouldn't be able to charge 40k a year to get the 10k EQM benefit, but the no forex fee and the EMV chip would be a big plus for me as I do spend more than $500 abroad.

Will be willing to do it if the upgrade from my current CitiAAdvantage World Elite MC is simple to do and if I'm able to still keep my Citi AMEX with no annual fee so long as the MC is open as it currently is.
Just get the AX PLT. Annual fees being equal, it still offers more perks (Global Entry, PP, etc) unless your end game is get more AA miles.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:43 pm

I would add to all these *purported* reports of AC members getting better treatment than AX holders in the clubs, but I am going to call bravo-sierra.

I have noticed no difference in how I am handled at ACs between now that I use AX versus the 10 years I was a paid member. There was a *single* occasion I was proactively called by someone in SJU AC. If you take that against what I paid for AC versus those years against the cost of walk up tickets, I would have been ahead just to buy my way out of IRROPs.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bucanero
I apply yesterday and call them to finalize the process, the first question I ask was if I can upgrade my platinum MC to this new one, the activation representative did not have the answer and put me on conference to the customer service department of citi, she told me this can not be done.

Also they told me that I have a maximum credit limit with citi with both AA Amex and AA Master Card, they will have to lower the credit limit of my MC by $5000 and add that to the new card for a total of $10000 on the new one, on the platinum I have $36.000 - $5000 = $31.000, my plan was to cancel the platinum MC and stay only with the Executive one.

At the end, paying $450 with less credit limit was not an option.

If anybody know the specifics on how to upgrade please let Us know
Since upgrading is not allowed, I guess current card members can earn the 25,000 bonus?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by hotelierLA
Ross0, hopefully an official representative will chime in, but I interpret the terms to say that you'll get access, but will not get an AC membership card. If you go to the card application page on Citi's website and read footnote 2 Award Program Information/, you'll see the following:

Thanks. I'm aware of the T&Cs. Part of my confusion (and request for clarity) stems from the AA rep's post earlier upthread that states: "This card does provide the primary cardholder full Admirals Club benefits, including access to the T-Mobile HotSpot Internet. You will need your AAdvantage number and password to access."

Given that a Citi-Executive card member's AAdvantage number will allow access to the AC's wifi service this suggests an AC membership as opposed to just access.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by horseguy
And yet, somehow, as a Citigold customer, I was always charged the annual fee for my Aadvantage cards. Whenever I noticed and called, it was immediately taken off, but I got tired of having to act as a policeman for nonsense like this and moved most of my business elsewhere.
Strange. Just contact your rep. The fees on my 4 Citi cards are waived automatically every year.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Not factored in for consideration in your presentation is the potential for 10,000 eqms, important to me for EXP re-qualification. If I was able to buy two r/t transcons for a mileage run @ $200 each (very rare) that would add another $400 benefit, plus you wouldn't have to take the flights!
I'm thinking about it for next year.
You're also ignoring any forgone benefits by spending $40k with another card. My legacy Schwab Visa with its 2% cash back would have kicked $800 my way, in addition to the premium the annual fee has over an AC membership's value (not price), to spend on those end of year flights to get 10k EQM. Unless you're spending >8cpm on your mileage runs, this isn't an especially strong value. For those without the Schwab Visa, substitute "Fidelity Amex" and the argument still holds.

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Just get the AX PLT. Annual fees being equal, it still offers more perks (Global Entry, PP, etc) unless your end game is get more AA miles.
Besides EQM (which is obtained by hitting a threshold for general spending, not necessarily AA spending), isn't the optimal strategy to buy AA gift cards at Costco right now? (Unless you're regularly spending >$2400 in a single AA transaction.)

Thanks. I'm aware of the T&Cs. Part of my confusion (and request for clarity) stems from the AA rep's post earlier upthread that states: "This card does provide the primary cardholder full Admirals Club benefits, including access to the T-Mobile HotSpot Internet. You will need your AAdvantage number and password to access."

Given that a Citi-Executive card member's AAdvantage number will allow access to the AC's wifi service this suggests an AC membership as opposed to just access.
If they're having cardholders present their MC rather than an AC membership card, does this mean an AC membership card is not being issued at all? Consequently, what access is available for reciprocal lounges that AC members would have access to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.