Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
If they're having cardholders present their MC rather than an AC membership card, does this mean an AC membership card is not being issued at all? Consequently, what access is available for reciprocal lounges that AC members would have access to?
It does highlight that the difference between a full AC member versus those that have AC access is kinda diluted in this day and age. The ability to access or not access T-Mobile WiFi hotspot is pretty weak difference when one can just as easily tether their 3G/4G phones without relying on AC's WiFi.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I always loved AA for its "butt in seat" policy as the only way to get status. I hope that 10,000 miles will be the limit. Otherwise, like Delta, this will make competition for upgrades way too high. Plus for all of us here, bearing the perils of coach was our rite of passage.

This card seem to provide an elite level that is between nothing and Gold. It comes with business class checkin (where first can be used if there is no business class checkin), access to elite security lines, and priority boarding. I am concerned because at some airports, the "elite" checkin and security lines get pretty long. Also, people who have this card might not be frequent flyers, so their lack of experience may slow the process down.

Last edited by Xero; Jul 19, 2011 at 11:49 pm
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:01 am

I see that the Platinum World Elite AAdvantage MC is no longer listed on citi.com, and this AA Citi Executive World Elite MC now seems to be the only AAdvantage mastercard.

Will current Citi Platinum AA World Elite cardholders be able to retain their current cards with no changes?

While I don't fly a lot domestically in the US, I still might switch because the card charges no fees on foreign transactions.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 20, 2011 at 2:20 am
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Xero
I am concerned because at some airports, the "elite" checkin and security lines get pretty long. Also, people who have this card might not be frequent flyers, so their lack of experience may slow the process down.
And try getting the gatekeepers at places like LAX and SFO to recognize the card as having access to the elite security line....
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: AA gold 4 life
450 FEE / priority select

If AA is reading, they should waived the fee if you spend over 50k a year, or they should add the priority select benefit, this would make me drop my Amex plat in a heart beat, and go with the new MC. There is only 40 AC lounges vs Priority as over 600 worldwide.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: Traveling Around from Country to country
just converted over!

I called Citi this morning and converted over to the Exec card from the regular card.

I am actualy a *A fan and preferred to go with the Onepass Presidential Plus card but was given the run around by Chase (because I got the regular Onepass c card in Feb. And they said I need to wait 12 months to convert. Hell no) so seeing this offer I jumped ship, converted my 10K limit card over to Exec, I don't care about the benefits as much as the no foreign transaction fee which is great for my business, we spend about 15K/month in foreign currency, we are saving wiring and conversion fees (totaling about 300/month), so this is a no brainer for me plus the MILES.

Hope now to become a oneworld fan as my mileage appetite increases as our local spend/month is another 15K domestically.

Anybody thought about wire fee savings for a business or I am the first figuring out this no brainer.

As a side note: we hear screaming here that Amex Plat is much better bla bla bla, however keep in mind Amex is not accepted by every merchant, so Visa/Mas have this advantage of being accepted everywhere.

Forgive my typos as I am on my BB.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
And try getting the gatekeepers at places like LAX and SFO to recognize the card as having access to the elite security line....
I'm sure that the PRIORITY ACCESS printed on your boarding pass will suffice.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP (> 2.5 MM; *Wood Gld; HHonors Gld
No conversion possible

I just called citigold and was transferred to the credit card dept - they claim a Citi Platinum MC can NOT be converted to the Exec card due to a change in conditions (?) at least for now ... Has anyone been able to convert a gold/plat card into exec card w/o having to apply for a new card ??
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Citi is truly annoying to deal with. Have AA Amex and Visa Sig and wanted to combine and get the AA Exec card. The AA Amex can't be converted, but the Visa can. Conversion however takes 45 days, which is a long time to wait for a new card AND you are refused on the 25k AAdvantage mile bonus.

So I decided to apply for the new card and didn't get approved right out of the box. Waiting now to see the outcome before cancelling the other 2 cards and asking for a line of credit increase immediately.

Chase is much better when dealing with stuff like this, as evidenced with my consolidating cc accounts earlier in the year into my PresPlus card.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Citi is truly annoying to deal with. Have AA Amex and Visa Sig and wanted to combine and get the AA Exec card. The AA Amex can't be converted, but the Visa can. Conversion however takes 45 days, which is a long time to wait for a new card AND you are refused on the 25k AAdvantage mile bonus.

So I decided to apply for the new card and didn't get approved right out of the box. Waiting now to see the outcome before cancelling the other 2 cards and asking for a line of credit increase immediately.

Chase is much better when dealing with stuff like this, as evidenced with my consolidating cc accounts earlier in the year into my PresPlus card.

I did convert from the regular MasterCard AAdvantage to the Exec right away. The only thing they said is that I will not get the new card before September 9th (but benefits, no transaction fees etc. start that second), and also the annual fee will not start before Sept. 9(??Not sure why??), but I said I need it now, and they said they will overnight it for me (shipping fee waived), so I should have it tomorrow^.

Fingers crossed@:-)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I wonder whether a reduced fee card will be offered to lifetime Admirals Club members. It really does not make sense to pay for lounge access twice. FWIW, as a LT PC member my CO Presidential Plus card is $99 per year.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Considering that AA has database to know which AAdvantage member is an elite and an Admirals Club member and that Citi has a database to know which CitiAAdvantage World Elite Mastercard holder to credit to the miles to which AAdvantage number, would it be difficult to send out an upgrade form to those that qualify for this card?

It shouldn't be made difficult to request an upgrade or to convert an existing card for those that qualify under the following criteria:

1. AAdvantage elite (GLD, PLT, or EXP)
2. Admiral's Club member
3. Currently has a CitiAAdvantage World Elite Mastercard
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by travelpro2008
I did convert from the regular MasterCard AAdvantage to the Exec right away. The only thing they said is that I will not get the new card before September 9th (but benefits, no transaction fees etc. start that second), and also the annual fee will not start before Sept. 9(??Not sure why??), but I said I need it now, and they said they will overnight it for me (shipping fee waived), so I should have it tomorrow^.

Fingers crossed@:-)
See...they are just clueless. They told me I wouldn't get the card before the 45 day legal window for changing one's mind closes...and that's despite me telling them that I am about to travel to Europe in 10 days.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Silver... Former AA Plat
not now...

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I see that the Platinum World Elite AAdvantage MC is no longer listed on citi.com, and this AA Citi Executive World Elite MC now seems to be the only AAdvantage mastercard.
indeed. it will be nice if they send the current AA MC World Elite holders a special offer to convert to Exec.

let's wait and see how attractive the Exec card will be from now until the end of the year. it's surprising to see they only offer 25,000 bonus miles for an Exec card, given that most AA cards offer 30,000 bonus miles (plus the still-working 75,000 offer of course). they have to roll out a much bigger bonus (like 100,000 miles) to get ppl jump onto their ship.

of course for some ppl, the 10,000 EQMs are attractive. but for a college student like me, it's hard to reach the $40k mark. i would rather spend around one-tenth of that amount ($4k, or even less) to earn 50,000 EQMs and PLT status with my butt in seat. also a new AC membership is just 55,000 miles (renewal 50,000).

for the time being, i would rather get the Amex Plat. but i will patiently wait for a more attractive bonus offer or a current cardholder switch offer.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
See...they are just clueless. They told me I wouldn't get the card before the 45 day legal window for changing one's mind closes...and that's despite me telling them that I am about to travel to Europe in 10 days.
I will let you know once I get it tomorrow. I'll even post a pic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.