Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
23 @ San Francisco SOMA Costco as of last night.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Still plenty (>100) in Arlington, VA - although not getting restocked as the shelf space keeps decreasing each week.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Those of you that are buying over 15 cards, get a business membership as the cost of that (100 bucks) will be offset by the 2% cashback you get as a biz member on all non-gas spend at Costco.
Well, almost all. There are exceptions, but not many. Current mint US stamps come to mind.

By the way, there are people so into Costco they have blogs about it:

http://addictedtocostco.com/
http://www.ilovecostco.com/

CNBC documentary on Costco: http://www.hulu.com/watch/368405

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jul 22, 2012 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Cool, if I buy 20 cards min I can probably break even on an MR to HNL

Those of you that are buying over 15 cards, get a business membership as the cost of that (100 bucks) will be offset by the 2% cashback you get as a biz member on all non-gas spend at Costco. If you're letting your friends use their cards, you are effectively gifting them this 2% saving.
That would be "executive" membership, I think. There is/was an ordinary 'business' membership that conveyed early-entrance but not cash-back.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA 2MM,Marriott, Hilton
Exposition Blvd in Sacto showed 2 in the computer this afternoon, but they would have to talk to the manager to see if they really had any. I noticed the card above showing the item # and description had an asterisk on the top right. That shows it is a discontinued item. I was also told they would not be getting anymore and no other Costcos in the area had any in stock.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:44 pm

Just had friends check Mountain View. None left.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Just had friends check Mountain View. None left.
Check Santa Clara. They still had some on Saturday.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, EXP 2012, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN Companion Pass
No More In San Diego

Just wiped out the last 8 in mission valley - no more around.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Not a silly question at all. It will work to use your card. I've never had them match the member name and the payee name, although I guess that the rules probably say that they have to be the same.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Great! Thanks for the quick response brp; now to find out where some are in the LA area, and then convince a friend to go.
Before I had a Costco membership, I went with a co-worker to buy these cards, and they would not allow me to use my credit card. I was buying 20.

Last week, I bought 45 (last week at Chicago Clybourn store) and it required a manager approval + ID match to both the Costco membership and the credit card.

I have bought from Costco multiple times, where CC does not match the ID, and agents have not cared. So, my guess is it depends on the amount that would prompt either the automated system or agent to verify.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
I have never had Costco refuse my Amex before. Were you using the Costco Amex? I'd be interested to hear how they justify that. I certainly do not carry that much cash around, and haven't written a personal check at a retailer in years. I can't imagine them thinking that a check (which could bounce) would be any more secure than a credit card.

How did you end up paying?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan
I have never had Costco refuse my Amex before. Were you using the Costco Amex? I'd be interested to hear how they justify that. I certainly do not carry that much cash around, and haven't written a personal check at a retailer in years. I can't imagine them thinking that a check (which could bounce) would be any more secure than a credit card.

How did you end up paying?
I think you may have missed the gist of this. It wasn't denial of a credit card, per se, it was denial of a card that didn't match the membership card. In theory, it is the member that should be paying, so I think they're well within their rules to deny payment by a card that doesn't match the membership.

On my 30 card purchase, I used mrs. brp's CostCo card as she has an Executive card, and mine is not. Also, note that, even though an Executive can get a second card for spouse (maybe others), only the primary card gets the 2% back, not the secondary card.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
On my 30 card purchase, I used mrs. brp's CostCo card as she has an Executive card, and mine is not. Also, note that, even though an Executive can get a second card for spouse (maybe others), only the primary card gets the 2% back, not the secondary card.
I had one Costco employee tell me this, but the website says this:

Costco Executive Members receive a 2% Reward on most purchases. Reward is capped at, and will not exceed, $750 for any 12-month period. Only purchases made by the primary and primary household cardholder on the account will apply toward the Reward. Limit one Executive Membership per household or business. Purchases made prior to upgrade do not qualify for the 2% Reward.

<snip>

Calculation of 2% Reward
Reward is approximately 2% of pre-tax purchases of most merchandise made through: front-end registers and most ancillary business registers at Costco warehouses; and Costco Web sites in both the U.S. and Canada by U.S. and Canadian residents. In the U.S., Reward is not calculated: (i) on purchases of cigarettes or tobacco-related products, gasoline, Costco Cash Cards, postage stamps, alcoholic beverages in certain states (including Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan), and at food courts; (ii) on membership fees; (iii) on purchases not recorded through Costco's front-end registers and transactions done on or through Web sites not hosted by Costco even if accessed through Costco.com, including all business, consumer, and insurance services, the online photo center, Costco Travel, and the My Publisher website; (iv) on miscellaneous fees, deposits and taxes, including sales tax; (v) where prohibited by law or regulation; (vi) on purchases made by anyone other than the account's primary or primary Household Cardholder;
http://shop.costco.com/Services/Exec...onditions.aspx

That sounds like both spouses can aggregate their purchases toward the 2% reward, which matches my experience (both spouses' purchases count).
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That sounds like both spouses can aggregate their purchases toward the 2% reward, which matches my experience (both spouses' purchases count).
Mine, too. Wife and I have shopped separately on our single account and both accrue toward the 2%.

I have guested in at least 2 people recently. I make my purchases, pay with my Amex card. Then I tell the cashier I have someone with me and they re-checkin with my card, and my guest uses his CC to buy his stuff. No problem. Theirs were not gigantic purchases, but not trivial, maybe $800-900.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by brp
... Also, note that, even though an Executive can get a second card for spouse (maybe others), only the primary card gets the 2% back, not the secondary card.

Cheers.
Damn! That's years of wasted 2% CB. So I should get my own Executive card? I thought all Executives were created equal. (chortle)
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by lili
Damn! That's years of wasted 2% CB. So I should get my own Executive card? I thought all Executives were created equal. (chortle)
never fear - primary and household executive cards count towards the rebate- its add on cards for biz members that don't.

Thanks for posting the link toomanybooks - been trying to watch that show and no cable at home (was close a couple of times in hotel rooms though )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.