Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
This thread is getting kind of funny. Can't help but wonder if the rapidly declining stock of cards is caused directly by FTers panicking as they read these reports. Wouldn't be surprised if Costco has sold more of these cards in the last week than in the previous six months!
I bought $8K with in January, and burnt most of them on CX tickets.
I would start in SEA to get around US origin rule.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geclub1
+1
Santa Clara, CA Costco just got these AA cards as well.
I will be surprised that they are going away.
Maybe, just maybe, the warehouses that have stocked the gift cards will not be restocking them and instead, they'll be stocked at different warehouses from now on. For instance, I have not seen them at two San Fernando Valley locations (Northridge or Canoga Park) despite their availability at Van Nuys and Westlake Village. My guess, however, is that they're disappearing. And if they don't disappear, that's ok too.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by swag
Some have speculated that they are discontinuing the cards because they were selling too many. Others think they were selling too few. Others think it was always supposed to be temporary, to raise some quick cash. But I had another thought.

Early speculation when they first appeared was that they were simply a marketing tool, aimed at getting non-AA fliers and airline-agnostic fliers to choose AA. That explains why they were never available in the DFW area, since most of us here usually fly AA anyway. I wonder if they did some analysis of who was redeeming these cards, and found a higher-than-expected utilization by AA elites. If they realized that they were discounting for existing customers more than they were attracting new customers, then it would be only logical to for them to pull the plug.
If they were half that clever they wouldn't be bankrupt.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
Unless those of us who have been told by different employees at different Costco locations have all been lied to or are part of a great conspiracy, you best be ready to be surprised.
The employees at our nearby Costco essentially know nothing about any big picture. The computer tells them how many of an item is on hand, how many on order, and if an item is marked for deletion when inventory is depleted.

I would guess that's uniform across the enterprise, so any grand vision of the future of AA gift cards or any other inventory item you think you've gotten was very likely an employee's [uniformed] opinion, nothing more.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnAx

I would guess that's uniform across the enterprise, so any grand vision of the future of AA gift cards or any other inventory item you think you've gotten was very likely an employee's [uniformed] opinion, nothing more.
Except that, as I posted above, this has been confirmed by a source with knowledge of such things. Even if not, having every store queried so far (or 90+%) indicate that this is "marked for deletion" should be pretty telling.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Picked up 25 in Waltham, MA, yesterday. I was told they have "about 75" left.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
If the entire display of giftcards from a 4 week old costco has been removed, that is a pretty sure sign that it will not be restocked.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:07 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I only joined Costco for the AA gift cards. So when my membership expires in Aug., I won't renew. Would an email "blitz" to Costco, requesting that they re-instate the cards have any positive effect?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nrr
I only joined Costco for the AA gift cards. So when my membership expires in Aug., I won't renew. Would an email "blitz" to Costco, requesting that they re-instate the cards have any positive effect?
1) Cancel your membership before your year is up and get your membership fee back.

2) This is probably in preparation of AA going away (if in name only) after a merger or sale.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:19 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
1) Cancel your membership before your year is up and get your membership fee back.

2) This is probably in preparation of AA going away (if in name only) after a merger or sale.
I wasn't aware of this (very nice) cancellation policy--even if I've already used the 2% rebate check.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No disagreement there, but nrr might want to wander the aisles of their local Costco - there's plenty of stuff at good prices.

I'm sorry, but that's not even in the realm of possibility. AA isn't "going away." Its stated plans are to emerge from Ch 11 as American Airlines. Even if Doug Parker completes his intended hostile takeover, he has already said that the name remains American Airlines.

Nobody here knows exactly why the cards are being discontinued, but you can be certain that it's not in preparation of "AA going away."
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
No disagreement there, but nrr might want to wander the aisles of their local Costco - there's plenty of stuff at good prices.

I'm sorry, but that's not even in the realm of possibility. AA isn't "going away." Its stated plans are to emerge from Ch 11 as American Airlines. Even if Doug Parker completes his intended hostile takeover, he has already said that the name remains American Airlines.

Nobody here knows exactly why the cards are being discontinued, but you can be certain that it's not in preparation of "AA going away."
Yes they do have nice stuff, but I don't need "industrial" size packaging--especially for perishable foods.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
...I'm sorry, but that's not even in the realm of possibility. AA isn't "going away." Its stated plans are to emerge from Ch 11 as American Airlines. Even if Doug Parker completes his intended hostile takeover, he has already said that the name remains American Airlines.

Not to start an argument, but anything is possible. Doug's offer is not the only offer on the table. Last news report I heard was five companies looking at AA. Until it's all over, we just have to wait and see. FT postings are nothing but speculation and I stick to mine.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to start an argument, but anything is possible. Doug's offer is not the only offer on the table. Last news report I heard was five companies looking at AA. Until it's all over, we just have to wait and see. FT postings are nothing but speculation and I stick to mine.
Fair enough. The latest news, however, is that Horton and AA are looking at five airlines (B6, AS, VX, F9 and US) as potential merger partners, not that five companies are looking at AA.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""

I haven't been paying attention, but did Hyatt "go away" after Costco quit carrying their Gift Cards (20% off) a year or so ago?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.