Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:17 pm

Costco in Niles, Il has around 50+ left
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
I'll argue that AA have not raised prices much, per se. What they have probably done is limit the inventory in the lower fare buckets. While this may seem like a semantic argument, what it does mean is that one can still get fares similar to last year (we're paying about the same this year as last), but it's just harder to find. Overall, revenues will go up, but the fare structure is not all that different.

I'm just surmising that this is what is happening, but I do know that the lowe fares are still there. Just seems not as many of 'em.

Cheers.
You could also make the argument (guess) that the fact that the tickets were bought at a discount caused people to buy up more expensive fares with greater benefits.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by sts603
Anyone find any left near New York?
I was surprised to find the Queens store(LI city, not Rego Park) still had them.
When I bought 10 GCs at the store last week(see my post #1275), I thoght it was my last time purchasing the GCs as the remaining GCs would be sold out quite soon.

Just out of curiosity,I called the store today and was told they still had 110.
It was little odd for me as I confirmed they had only 50+ on July 3rd

Anyway I went to the store at the evening today(July 9th) and bought another 5 GCs.
When I received the 5 GCs, I again asked a store staff how many GCs they had in stock now. The staff checked about it with their computer(same as on July 3rd but by different staff) and told me they had 80 now.

As I had very inconsistent answers since last Wed about how many GCs the store currently had, I am not sure the 80 is accurate or not.
But it seems the store still have some as of July 9th.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:29 pm

Any in San Antonio or Austin?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:15 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I was surprised to find the Queens store(LI city, not Rego Park) still had them.
When I bought 10 GCs at the store last week(see my post #1275), I thoght it was my last time purchasing the GCs as the remaining GCs would be sold out quite soon.

Just out of curiosity,I called the store today and was told they still had 110.
It was little odd for me as I confirmed they had only 50+ on July 3rd

Anyway I went to the store at the evening today(July 9th) and bought another 5 GCs.
When I received the 5 GCs, I again asked a store staff how many GCs they had in stock now. The staff checked about it with their computer(same as on July 3rd but by different staff) and told me they had 80 now.

As I had very inconsistent answers since last Wed about how many GCs the store currently had, I am not sure the 80 is accurate or not.
Thanks for post. In #1294, I noted that on 7/5/12 Rego Park had none.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
They are pulling them out of some stores and consolidating them into others until sold out. That process is ongoing.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I certainly did. In fact, the GCs plus the usability of codes (plus TEQM!) pushed me over the edge to make a lunatic run for EXP in January, having not flown a revenue AA flight in probably 10 years.

I bet some of the hundreds of other runners who flew alongside me had similar thoughts.

Of course, it's debatable how much effect we had on AA's overall situation/thinking/planning. Probably not too much.
Yeah, I did that once, and 'lunatic' was the operative word. EXP did nothing for me - I called the desk once to get a friend's booking changed, never found a use for an SWU (I always found better/cheaper I-class fares on other carriers than AA's SWU'able fares). Strictly YMMV.

Oh, I did realize that the primary benefit was, effectively a second year of platinum for 'free'. Plat is the level that works best for me.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Oh, I did realize that the primary benefit was, effectively a second year of platinum for 'free'. Plat is the level that works best for me.
If you do it in January, status is good all that year and all the next. Then a soft landing to Plat (assuming that stays the same as in years past). So 3 years of Plat, instead of slogging for months and getting it for little over 1 year.

That entered my thinking as well.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:06 am

EXP did nothing for me - I called the desk once to get a friend's booking changed, never found a use for an SWU (I always found better/cheaper I-class fares on other carriers than AA's SWU'able fares). Strictly YMMV.

Why PLT works better than EXP for you?

May be that was then, now is different.

Last edited by flyerlink; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:07 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
... EXP did nothing for me - I called the desk once to get a friend's booking changed, never found a use for an SWU (I always found better/cheaper I-class fares on other carriers than AA's SWU'able fares).
Thanks for the "PLT-is-better-than-EXP" laughs this morning.
I'm guessing you were EXP before AA changed to permit SWUs on any fare.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
never found a use for an SWU (I always found better/cheaper I-class fares on other carriers than AA's SWU'able fares). Strictly YMMV.
You do realize that you can use SWUs to go from deep discount Y to J right? (not sure what you mean by "SWU'able fares" as my understanding is that pretty much all fares are SWU'able).
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Westlake Village (Lindero Canyon Rd @ 101 Freeway, about 40 miles from LAX) store had 84 left in stock this morning. I'd buy some more but I'm sitting on at least 18 months' worth right now.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:30 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Still available at both South San Francisco stores...on my way there now. :-)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
This thread is getting kind of funny. Can't help but wonder if the rapidly declining stock of cards is caused directly by FTers panicking as they read these reports. Wouldn't be surprised if Costco has sold more of these cards in the last week than in the previous six months!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:13 pm

Anyone know what the stock at Costco's Pentagon City location is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.