Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Although I've used about 20 of these in my lifetime, still definitely one of those things that I didn't entirely appreciate until now that it's gone.
I don't mind the loss, to be honest. There are always 5% and 10% off discount codes for a lot of my destinations (mostly domestic). Besides, with the airline in bankruptcy, there's nothing to prevent AA from going to the bankruptcy court and having all these GCs declared null and void. At least if I pay by credit card, I have recourse in the event that the airline ceases operations.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lobo411
I don't mind the loss, to be honest. There are always 5% and 10% off discount codes for a lot of my destinations (mostly domestic). Besides, with the airline in bankruptcy, there's nothing to prevent AA from going to the bankruptcy court and having all these GCs declared null and void. At least if I pay by credit card, I have recourse in the event that the airline ceases operations.
First, the GCs are returnable to CostCo, so there is zero risk of loss. Second, AA are still selling GCs even in bankruptcy, so the likelihood of suddenly voiding all of them is very low.

Also, these can be stacked on top of the 5% or 10% off resulting in 15-20%.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, PC Platinum
No more in Everett, MA.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by brp
First, the GCs are returnable to CostCo, so there is zero risk of loss.
Would you need to have the receipt to return them? Have I just given myself positive risk of loss?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobo411
"Nothing to prevent" AA from voiding these gift cards? Nope. That's not how bankruptcy works. AA put itself on the hook for the pre-petition gift cards on November 29 in its first day filings. Had it not done so, holders of those cards would not have "null and void" cards, they would have an unsecured claim against the estate.

For cards purchased after the filing, AA has no ability to walk away from them.

Ceases operations? Seriously? There's a minute chance that will occur, but even that would not cause the cards to become "null and void." Again, that's not how bankruptcy law works.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
As of Noon today, Nashville West had 32. Julia
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Wow, somebody should make a "gift card run" to Nashville.

I am slightly down on these cards today. I applied a small leftover credit from an old ticket to a new reservation: turns out that this meant I couldn't use GCs to pay for that reservation. AA's GCs have too many restrictions!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Although I've used about 20 of these in my lifetime, still definitely one of those things that I didn't entirely appreciate until now that it's gone.
AMEN !
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:07 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
First, the GCs are returnable to CostCo, so there is zero risk of loss. Second, AA are still selling GCs even in bankruptcy, so the likelihood of suddenly voiding all of them is very low.

Also, these can be stacked on top of the 5% or 10% off resulting in 15-20%.

Cheers.
But the (Costco) GCs without other discounts (which aren't always available) applied to taxes as well, the other codes do NOT.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Gaithersberg Out (August 22nd)

Originally Posted by sent
Ugh, I spent all weekend in Gaithersburg! If I only didn't have to hang out with my in-laws all weekend (with no internet!), I could've made it over there.
Well, I think my post inspired someone to get out of the house--I checked back this evening, and the GC cashier said that someone called last week and asked for 10 GCs to be set aside. The rest got cleared out shortly afterwards.

0 balance even before I arrived today (but I got a heck of a deal on socks...)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:27 pm

Rego park, ny - out
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Would you need to have the receipt to return them? Have I just given myself positive risk of loss?
Costco has a history of your purchases. I've done no receipt returns with them before; they just look it up via membership.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by JBGL
As of Noon today, Nashville West had 32. Julia
Told today they were all gone as of Monday 8/20
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:58 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I used the gift cards I bought in June to book a flight for October. After a schedule change that makes the flights no longer work for us, I cancelled the flight. I was told I would get a refund back to my credit card, but I told the agent I had used gift cards. She told me that I would get a refund back to the gift cards.

After 48 hours and no refund, I checked AA's FAQ and it looks like the refund would be back to a voucher. Anyone have any experience with this? Is the voucher something I will get in the mail? I would like to book another trip but would like to use the value I already have towards the cost. Its probably time to call AA again, but I always prefer to know the right answer before calling! Thanks for your help -- Suzanne
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I used the gift cards I bought in June to book a flight for October. After a schedule change that makes the flights no longer work for us, I cancelled the flight. I was told I would get a refund back to my credit card, but I told the agent I had used gift cards. She told me that I would get a refund back to the gift cards.

After 48 hours and no refund, I checked AA's FAQ and it looks like the refund would be back to a voucher. Anyone have any experience with this? Is the voucher something I will get in the mail? I would like to book another trip but would like to use the value I already have towards the cost. Its probably time to call AA again, but I always prefer to know the right answer before calling! Thanks for your help -- Suzanne
they will send you a paper voucher, we had a low fare guarantee claim and they sent a voucher for that as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.