Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STL Terminal Updates (post Apr 22, 2011 tornado)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA Silver, SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Platinum, Emerald Executive, Hertz #1 Gold
Hmmm...very curious. It also looked like the carpet was updated, and there were ladders/tools strewn about. Can't imagine they would be going to through that kind of effort and expense without some plans for that area.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by gmcnail
As of last week, you could see all the way down the hallway.

Is there work going on in this area? Why would they have taken down the temporary wall, or was it never there to begin with?

Just curious...
There was definitely a wall. It's been ages since I've had to suffer through a WN experience so I haven't been in E in over a year.

My guess is the wall was taken down after the tornado when AA was using D.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Question

is AA still using D or have they moved back into C
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, US Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
is AA still using D or have they moved back into C
Still using D. Last I heard, the C Concourse repairs won't be completed until the middle of 2012.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Still using D and, not infrequently, stairs rather than bridge. Good grief.

Edited to add:
I should have included that it's arriving Am Eagle flights that have been stuck with stairs, not mainline flights and usually not departing Eagle flights. It's certainly not for lack of gates with jetbridges--with several gates open, out come the stairs. I asked nicely "why" after my last flight (as we walked and walked from the far end of D with not one other gate taken) but no one had an answer, not the airport crew ("I don't know, seems like they do this a lot") and not the pilots ("I guess they thought we needed the exercise").

Last edited by dia1; Sep 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:27 pm

really????????? stairs are being used to board mainline narrowbodies....
lmfao wow ........

***just shakes head*** i don't know what to say. any news on what is going to happen to the old TWA flagship ambassador lounge / AKA the main admirals club
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hyatt Gold
stairs to board mainline narrowbodies

lmfao wow ........

How do they board passengers who need wheelchair assistance? My wife can walk onto the plane if she is pushed down to the aircraft via a jet bridge, but she cannot climb up or walk down stairs.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by AABelleville
lmfao wow ........

How do they board passengers who need wheelchair assistance? My wife can walk onto the plane if she is pushed down to the aircraft via a jet bridge, but she cannot climb up or walk down stairs.

a good question
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Delta Platinum Medallion,AMEX Plat,Hyatt GP Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
STL AC

I used the STL AC over Labor Day weekend - it's a lot smaller than before but still nice enough for a respite from the crowds in the terminal. No couches to stretch out for a nap, but comfortable enough. My GF was sad to hear that Harlan left for DC, he was really helpful.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
lmfao wow ........

Airports have special elevators, some operate a little like Fork Lifts.

At the platform/landing top of the stairs there is normally a gate on the left through which the chair can be wheeled once elevated to the level of the platform.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:20 am

At the platform/landing top of the stairs there is normally a gate on the left through which the chair can be wheeled once elevated to the level of the platform.

Thanks for your explanation. I hope St. Louis has that option. As a temporary solution to the tornado damage, it sounds like the D concourse is still rather primitive.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
I was in the STL AC earlier this week and was adivsed that they would be moving into remodelled quarters April 2 of next year.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by serfty

Thanks for your explanation. I hope St. Louis has that option. As a temporary solution to the tornado damage, it sounds like the D concourse is still rather primitive.
I have been through STL several times since the tornado hit. I arrived and departed from several gates in the D concourse, always using jet bridges. In my opinion, the D concourse is in better condition than the C concourse was in the last couple of years.

I never saw any mainline flights boarding or deplaning by stairs. I am not saying it does not happen, but it must be a rare exception necessitated by operational needs when all jet bridge equipped gates are occupied.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
I have been through STL several times since the tornado hit. I arrived and departed from several gates in the D concourse, always using jet bridges. In my opinion, the D concourse is in better condition than the C concourse was in the last couple of years.

I never saw any mainline flights boarding or deplaning by stairs. I am not saying it does not happen, but it must be a rare exception necessitated by operational needs when all jet bridge equipped gates are occupied.
TWA884, Thanks for your response. That makes me feel much more comfortable.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by TWA884
I fly in and out every week, at least once. I've yet to use the stairs. I've come in at the low D and high D gates both, and on both S80 and 757s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.