Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STL Terminal Updates (post Apr 22, 2011 tornado)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by JimboM1391
A is completely full - no open gates. If anything changes, Delta will take over all of A and the others will move to C.
CO and UA are supposed to be merging gates soon in STL and DL should be taking over A12/13 (I think those are the gate #'s) that CO currently operates.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeystl
CO and UA are supposed to be merging gates soon in STL and DL should be taking over A12/13 (I think those are the gate #'s) that CO currently operates.

No gate A13 or even A11. It goes from A9 to A15, which are both CO. I wonder how they will merge, as US is right in the middle of UA and CO.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by gwar69
No gate A13 or even A11. It goes from A9 to A15, which are both CO. I wonder how they will merge, as US is right in the middle of UA and CO.
Prior to the tornado, US was planning on going to C. I am uncertain if that is still the plan
Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Just flew into STL for Thanksgiving. The entire terminal is in disarray between the "renovations" and storm clean up. It is outrageous and unbelievable that 7 months (and counting) after the storm many of the windows are still boarded up. I'm sure the airport commission has their explanation for this non-sense but they have these ridiculous signs saying "pardon our dust" with pictures of the storm damage.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
They are doing more than just replacing windows. They are doing a COMPLETE renovation of the entire airport. More than just a few months work.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Just flew into STL for Thanksgiving. The entire terminal is in disarray between the "renovations" and storm clean up. It is outrageous and unbelievable that 7 months (and counting) after the storm many of the windows are still boarded up. I'm sure the airport commission has their explanation for this non-sense but they have these ridiculous signs saying "pardon our dust" with pictures of the storm damage.
My understanding is that a substantial part of the delay relates to insurance company tardiness in cutting the check. In addition, many of the windows were custom work that had to be ordered and fit into somebody's production schedule. Even with all this, it is taking longer than it should.

We all wish it were going faster, but anyone who cannot believe that it is not complete 7 months after the tornado hasn't had much experience dealing with the government of the City of St. Louis.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:20 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
In addition to needing to settle the insurance claim (which included close to two months of analysis by structural engineers), all of the windows for the main terminal had to be custom made and were done by the same, small company which made the original movie.

It's not like these were something you could go to your local Home Depot and pick up off the shelf.

Greg
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
We all wish it were going faster, but anyone who cannot believe that it is not complete 7 months after the tornado hasn't had much experience dealing with the government of the City of St. Louis.
I've only lived in Clayton and U. City, never had the pleasure of dealing with the City of St. Louis. I still can't get over the fact that they still have a sign up for Lufthansa at door MT5 on the upper level when LH has never flown to STL. Using that logic, they should also have a sign for AF, AM, BA, IB, JL, QF and many others that codeshare into STL. They certainly wasted no time installing the signage for AS when they announced the new route to SEA last summer.

However difficult it is for them to get the windows from a supplier I doubt it would take Massport or PANYNJ seven months to get windows replaced, and they aren't known to be particularly supportive or well run agencies either. It really leaves a poor image of the city and of the airport when people visit and see the entire tarmac deserted and the terminal in disaray.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by gwar69
The CO ticket counter was gone as of yesterday. Not sure about the combined gate location, but the only CO mainline capable gate is A9 where the 73G/738 to EWR departs.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by gemac
In addition, many of the windows were custom work that had to be ordered and fit into somebody's production schedule. Even with all this, it is taking longer than it should.
Originally Posted by GregL
...all of the windows for the main terminal had to be custom made and were done by the same, small company which made the original movie.
The original windows had plate glass. After the tornado, the glass was upgraded to current codes which specify laminated glass. In addition, other structural improvements were implemented. Unlike the original glass, the laminated glass cannot be cut on site. To complicate matters, each piece of glass is different. I am surprised that it took only six months to start installing the new glass panels.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I still can't get over the fact that they still have a sign up for Lufthansa at door MT5 on the upper level when LH has never flown to STL.
I wonder if it is some kind of deal that United & Lufthansa made with the airport. The reason I wonder is that for the longest time (not sure this is still the case), the signage on the roadway leading to the airport in San Antonio directing pax to the appropriate terminal had Lufthansa listed right next to United. Lufthansa has definitely never flown to SAT either. Likewise, SAT does not/did not list other codesharing airlines on those signs.

-z
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
New waiting area

Is it just me, or does the new waiting area at the exit from C/D security seem ridiculously large? Somebody hoping we return to hub-level traffic? No way.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:24 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
You gotta love St Louis. They used to charge for luggage carts ( $3 ) but then they threw out the luggage cart contractor and were giving them away for free. Only rub was there were not any carts to be found now that the city was providing them and they were free. Tonight when I came in I noticed that they are now charging for carts again but the price is $4. So we went from $3, to free, and now to $4. The real question for me is who got the new contract for the carts and why are they now more expensive then they used to be. What would Plunkitt say about this?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Yeah, I've been through STL a couple of times in the past few weeks and that new "meeting point" is really large for the number of passengers currently traveling through there. However, if Delta moves to C (which I recall reading somewhere might be a possibility), there'd certainly be more traffic passing by that spot.

I'm also thoroughly unimpressed with the look of the arrivals/baggage carousel area. What's with all the white? Talk about antiseptic. It's not inviting at all as it is and it isn't going to age well.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum, US Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, C Concourse will be re-opening in April. Anxious to see how it looks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.